Chilled Cucumber Melon Soup

Chilled Cucumber Melon Soup

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Don't faint with this non cook posting a recipe. This is from Publix Aprons Simple Meals.
They were passing out samples of this last week. Liked it and got ambitious enough to make some tonight. Theirs was a little too hot for me so I used the smallest jalapeño I could find and removed all the seeds and ribs. The sample was thicker than mine so assume I used more melon; I did carefully measure everything else.
The directions say to save items for garnish; i did not do that, blended all together as they had done in the store including the yogurt. Also note that I used King of the West variety of honeydew and highly recommend it as the best. Typically only available in August and September - at least in the southeast.

CHILLED MELON-CUCUMBER SOUP
Ingredients
1/2 European cucumber, coarsely chopped, about 1 cup
1 Hass avocado, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 lb honeydew chunks
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 teaspoons Greek yogurt with honey

Prep
Peel cucumber and chop (1 cup); chop avocado, jalapeño (remove seeds), and garlic.
Squeeze lime for juice (1 tablespoon).
Steps
Reserve 1/4 cup each honeydew, cucumber, and avocado. Blend remaining ingredients (except yogurt) in a blender (or food processor) until smooth. Chill soup 20-30 minutes or until cold.
Divide soup into 4 bowls. Chop reserved ingredients finely and sprinkle over soup; top each with 2 teaspoons yogurt. Serve.

CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 150kcal; FAT 8g; SAT FAT 1g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 170mg; CARB 21g; FIBER 5g; SUGARS 15g; PROTEIN 3g; VIT A 6%; VIT C 60%; CALC 2%; IRON 6%
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: Chilled Cucumber Melon Soup

Postby avalen » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 pm

that sounds good except for the jalapeno, I could do that without the jalapeno and I think it would be just as good. I don't care much for spicy hot.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:46 pm

I don't like spicy hot either, Av. That is why I choose the smallest pepper I could find. It worked out great, no real heat and just a faint background taste of the jalapeño.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby MandysMom » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Sure sounds interesting. I like making Gazpacho at times and this expands my cold soup repertoire! Thanks I shall try it.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Recipes