4th of July Favorites: Aloha Sweet Potato Salad

4th of July Favorites: Aloha Sweet Potato Salad

Postby MandysMom » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:59 am

My husband and I were stationed In Hawaii right after we were married and our first Independence Day fireworks show was among all military families on the grass at Wheeler Air Force Base, Wahiawa Hawaii. Years later I came across this recipe and we like it so much I often do it at this time of year to remember our first 4th as husband and wife. I googled it tonight and there are dozens of sites all claiming it as their own, so I will claim it as mine too! Hubby is going to slow smoke the bacon on our pellet BBQ grill so it will be really nice and I don't have to fry in kitchen or heat up oven. My son requests this almost every year. Try not to overlook the sweet potatoes or they fall apart. Macadamia nuts are pricey but worth it for this special salad. We will also have gluten free macaroni salad, burgers, baked beans,chips, and for dessert fresh berries over Brenda (Berrywell) rice flour shortcake biscuits or cake with whipped cream, the real stuff.

ALOHA SWEET POTATO SALAD 6 servings

1/2 pound bacon

3 cups diced cooked sweet potatoes

2 cups pineapple chunks

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons lime juice

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup macadamia nuts

Romaine leaves

1. Cut the bacon slices into 1/2-inch pieces and fry in a skillet until well browned. Drain on paper towels.

2. Combine the bacon, sweet potatoes and pineapple in a large mixing bowl and toss lightly. In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lime juice and pepper.

3. Add dressing to the potato mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly. Just before serving, stir in the macadamia nuts.

4. Serve the salad in a chilled salad bowl lined with romaine leaves.

Data per serving Calories 418 Protein 6g Fat 29g Carbohydrates 37g Sodium 350mg Saturated fat 5g Monounsaturated fat 12g Polyunsaturated fat 11g Cholesterol 20mg
MandysMom

Re: 4th of July Favorites: Aloha Sweet Potato Salad

Postby mtngal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Fresh pineapple?
Diana
mtngal

Postby avalen » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:18 pm

oh now that sounds yummy, thanks for sharing this recipe
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby mtngal » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:21 pm

This was BIG hit with Sister's pork tenderloin. Thanks for sharing it Velda!
Diana
mtngal

Return to Recipes