Re-take on Beer Bread

Re-take on Beer Bread

Postby MandysMom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Made this tonight and it was a hit.
3 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1-12 oz beer
Note this recipe does NOT call for a stick of butter over it! As did the previous.

Mix and bake in loaf pan covered 35 min. Uncover and test with a knife. If comes out clean then it's done. Mine was not and I realizes I had not pushed the convection button. Took twenty min more and it was golden brown and beautiful. Could barely contain ourselves until it was col enough to cut. Delicious. A bit sweet to go with soup, but it did not stop us from eating a couple of slices. If I made it again for supper I will reduce sugar to 1/4 cup. If I use for breakfast I will leave the sugar as it called for and add cinnamon.

You can make self rising flour by adding 1- 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt to a cup of flour. So for this recipe I guess it would be 4 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1-1/2 tsp salt to 3 cups flour.
I plan to get self rising flour and bag and vacuum seal the dry ingredients together in single batch bags to take in rv. That way I will have it ready to mix and bake. I guess I could put in an extra size bag so could actually mix in bag but that might be messy to get out of the bag. Of course while camping I may have to fight for a beer to put in it but I'll just remind hem how good the bread is.
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Re-take on Beer Bread

Postby dpf » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:51 am

Our friends own a bar and sometimes Jim will buy a case of specialty beer that doesn't end up to be a big seller....so he makes it the Mystery Beer Special of the Day and sells it for a dollar a bottle to get rid of it. I've been buying "to go" mystery beers to make different beer breads. The last batch I used some type of apple beer, the bread was really good. Right now I have a bottle of 1554 Enlightened Black Ale that will be my next experiment! I put the melted margarine in the bread not poured over the top as many recipes say to do....basically because the bread doesn't tend to dry out a quickly if we don't eat it fast enough.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:25 am

I don't know how I missed this post, but I immediately got up and started to make a half recipe. Mixed the sugar with the self-rising flour and went to the fridge to get the Dos Equis and turns out it was Bud Light Lime! Made the bread anyway...it's REALLY good. So sad it has to go in the trash.

mitch5252

Postby dpf » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:25 pm

So what did you do with the extra six ounces of beer?
dpf

Postby mitch5252 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:28 pm

dpf wrote:So what did you do with the extra six ounces of beer?

Well, Ms. Smarty-Pants, I had to use more than 6 oz in the bread, and the rest...well, it's down the drain.
I'm not much of a beer drinker, especially at 9:00 on a cold, Saturday morning!!! :)

First loaf, minus 2 little slices, is also in the trash...other loaf is going to a neighbor's.

mitch5252

Postby sharon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:45 pm

I used to make beer bread all the time...hubby loved it! Haven't made it in years, tho. Nope, not making it...no way....hell no! Crap, may have to make some to make a toast to Jack with instead of drinking the beer!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby dpf » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:33 pm

mitch5252 wrote:
dpf wrote:So what did you do with the extra six ounces of beer?

Well, Ms. Smarty-Pants, I had to use more than 6 oz in the bread, and the rest...well, it's down the drain.
I'm not much of a beer drinker, especially at 9:00 on a cold, Saturday morning!!! :)

First loaf, minus 2 little slices, is also in the trash...other loaf is going to a neighbor's.

You poured beer down the drain....on St. Patrick's weekend????? :shock: :o You're going to go to hell. :mrgreen:
dpf

Postby sharon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 pm

dpf wrote:
mitch5252 wrote:
dpf wrote:?

You poured beer down the drain....on St. Patrick's weekend????? :shock: :o You're going to go to hell. :mrgreen:

Trust me, she's done a lot worse to send her to hell than poor beer down the drain!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby dpf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 am

Well if she was teetering on the edge that will definitely push her over! :P :lol:
dpf

Return to Recipes