ENGLISH TOFFEE RECIPE

ENGLISH TOFFEE RECIPE

Postby Nasoosie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Somebody asked me for the English Toffee recipe, so here it is-----I got it from Facebook somewhere.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Best, EASIEST recipe for ENGLISH TOFFEE. Takes 20 minutes to make. Oh yum!

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup slivered/chopped almonds
1 cup chocolate chips (I used the darkest, bittersweet ones by Ghiradelli---60% cacao)

Butter a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan. In a heavy skillet, over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in sugar and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly until the sugar is golden. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Let stand for a minute then spread the chocolate over the top. Add almonds 5 minutes before chocolate is completely set. Then let cool completely before breaking into pieces.

(My notes: make sure to stir constantly as you cook over medium heat. It took at least 10 minutes of slow cooking and stirring for the sugar to turn "golden" enough for me, I think. Grease the pan you will pour it into well with butter. I used a pyrex glass pan as I had no idea what a jelly roll pan is. It's hard to spread the chocolate after it melts, but it works! Then add your almonds and let it chill before you break it up. Make sure you break it, don't try to cut it. I had to let my pans and spoon soak overnight to get the mixture off of them! I think it came out really good-----but be careful of your teeth! It's hard!) If it wasn't so danged hard to post pictures on here, what with having to use photobucket, I would post a pic. Maybe I'll take a picture and try later to post it by editing this post.

Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Re: ENGLISH TOFFEE RECIPE

Postby Irmi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Soos, I love toffee, so I'll have to give that a try. That would be a nice treat for our trip south!
Irmi

Re: ENGLISH TOFFEE RECIPE

Postby JudyJB » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Looks like a great recipe and I am going to try it. GOing to spend Christmas Day making candy.

BUT, here is my Lesson's Learned from making toffee--DO NOT TRY TO TASTE ANY FROM THE SPOON WHILE IT IS HOT OR WARM!!

I lost a cap that way, and it cost me $800 to replace it, even with dental insurance. :x I haven't made any since that very expensive batch quite a few years ago.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Recipes