Thin Mint Cookies

Thin Mint Cookies

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm not vegan, but use lots of vegan recipes. I definitely want to try this - whether I use vegan chocolate chips or not - and I'll probably use dark choc chips. Sharon, maybe we can do this at your place after Baja - Mitch and I should be able to try these - no sugar!

Vegan Thin Mint Cookies

Ingredients:

For the cookies
• Scant 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or gluten free flour. (Level 1/2 cup of flour, then remove 2 tablespoons worth)
• 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon ground golden flax seed
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• Pinch sea salt
• 1/3 cup agave
• 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (use refined if you don’t want these cookies tasting like coconut)
• 2–3 drops food grade peppermint essential oil or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract

For the chocolate outside layer
• 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, melted
• 1 teaspoon coconut oil
• 1–2 drops food grade peppermint essential oil or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

Method:
Preheat your oven to 350°. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl with a wire whisk. Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. This mixture will look more like cake batter than cookie dough, that’s okay!
Measure out cookie dough with a teaspoon to make about 30 cookies. If your cookie sheet is big enough, they may all fit on the same sheet!
Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on wire cooling rack for 10-15 minutes, they will become firm and crisp up as they cool.
With a small flexible spatula, “ice” the cookies top and bottom with the melted chocolate, trying to get the sides as well, I used about a teaspoon of the chocolate per cookie.
Put the cookies on parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet and refrigerate or freeze for 10–15 minutes to let the chocolate set up before serving. **Best stored in a container in the fridge; the chocolate can melt at room temps.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Thin Mint Cookies

Postby judi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm going to try this recipe but I'll use a gluten free flour mix since I have celiac disease. Thanks Beth!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby sharon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Ummm....Agave is sugar...or same as sugar. It actually has more calories than sugar. Mitch can't have it.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:19 pm

sharon wrote:Ummm....Agave is sugar...or same as sugar. It actually has more calories than sugar. Mitch can't have it.

OK, but I can use it even though I'm on a low sugar/no sugar diet ... and we can let Mitch have a little taste, maybe.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 am

Mitch really, REALLY likes Peanut Brittle, just sayin'..... :lol:
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:47 am

VickieP wrote:Mitch really, REALLY likes Peanut Brittle, just sayin'..... :lol:

lolol and that has sugar and corn syrup ...
She's heading through NM where you can get some awesome pistachio brittle.
Beth
Bethers

Postby sharon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:20 am

Bethers wrote:
sharon wrote:Ummm....Agave is sugar...or same as sugar. It actually has more calories than sugar. Mitch can't have it.

OK, but I can use it even though I'm on a low sugar/no sugar diet ... and we can let Mitch have a little taste, maybe.

ROFLMAO! She can have all she wants, just wanted to make sure you knew what agave was! :D
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Return to Recipes