What A Crock (Thanksgiving)

What A Crock (Thanksgiving)

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 am

From Coach-Net Monthly Bulletin I received this morning:

What a Crock!
November 20, 2013

Recipe of the Month - Crockpot Turkey

Just because you may have limited space and resources in your RV kitchen doesn't mean you can't enjoy a true Thanksgiving dinner. Try this easy Crockpot Turkey Breast with Cranberry Dressing recipe and you may never go back to the traditional way again.
Plus! - clean up is 10 times faster which means more time to spend with your loved ones.

Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) package stuffing cubes
½ cup hot water
½ can of chicken broth, heated
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 small onion, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup sweetened dried cranberries
1 (3-pound) boneless turkey breast
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

Preparation

Coat a 3 ½ quart (or larger) slow cooker with nonstick vegetable spray

Put stuffing cubes in the cooker and add water, broth, butter, onion, celery, and cranberries; mix well
Sprinkle the turkey breast with the rosemary, salt, and pepper. Place the turkey over stuffing mixture.

Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 to 7 hours. Times may vary with crock pots. Using a meat thermometer, check to see if the turkey is fully cooked. Internal temperature of the turkey breast will be 165° when done.

Remove turkey to a cutting board and slice. Stir the stuffing until thoroughly mixed and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Spoon onto platter and top with the sliced turkey.

Serves 4 to 6.

mitch5252

Re: What A Crock (Thanksgiving)

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:40 am

Ooh, this sounds good. I'm not a big turkey fan, though, so think I'll make it one day with chicken ... maybe one day soon!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redwahine » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am

That really sounds good
Redwahine

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:19 am

Sounds good, even better it sounds easy enough to try for us near non-cooks.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 am

I wish I had more time - I have a small turkey breast in the freezer.
I'd try it. If it wasn't frozen, I'd still try it.
Hmmmmmmm....on the road snacks...
mitch5252

Postby sharon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:53 am

I do that with both chicken and turkey but I use stovetop stuffing, much easier and tastes just as good. Except for the cranberries, none of that in my stuffing. I put pecans instead. It's really really good! Tilt the lid on the pot the last 15 minutes to dry out the stuffing a bit.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:58 am

OMGosh - I am defrosting (in hot water - I know - a no-no) my 3 lb. turkey breast.
It has 560 milligrams of sodium per 4 oz.
Unbelievable!
I am now soaking the breast without the plastic wrapper and am changing the water frequently so some of that dang salt goes away.
Jeesh.
mitch5252

Postby MandysMom » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:46 pm

When Beth mentioned using chicken it really sounded good. I think I will make it with several half chicken breasts over the rest. Also a question. Have any of you used the crockpot liners? I am leery of plastic and heat but seems like it would make a crockpot meal in a RV so much easier to cleanup.
MandysMom

Postby Excel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Well, I will let all of you know how this comes out as I'll use this recipe for my Thanksgiving dinner... like Sharon, Stovetop stuffing, maybe with some celery & onions pan heated to add.... thanks for posting.... :D
Excel

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:05 pm

MandysMom wrote:When Beth mentioned using chicken it really sounded good. I think I will make it with several half chicken breasts over the rest. Also a question. Have any of you used the crockpot liners? I am leery of plastic and heat but seems like it would make a crockpot meal in a RV so much easier to cleanup.

I've used the liners and they work well. I know I have some here someplace, but can't find them. Refuse to buy more until I do - so last several uses of the crockpot have been without. (Might have to break down and buy more.)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby VickieP » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 pm

I've used the liner once, it was similar to the turkey baking bag. Made cleanup easy.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Azusateach » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Well, Mitch! How'd it turn out? Inquiring minds want to know! :D
Azusateach

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Turkey was a tiny bit dry and the dressing was a sodden mess. Inedible. I obviously had too much water. I would do the turkey breast again in the crock pot, but not the stuffing. I did like the flavor added by the rosemary.
mitch5252

Postby sharon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 pm

I use the liners all of the time, for everything I cook in the crockpot. Love them! In fact, I made a pot of cabbage rolls today and used a liner.

Mitch, sorry about your stuffing, I've never had a problem making it in the crockpot. That would really piss me off since I'm so so about the turkey but love the stuffing!! And yes, rosemary is really good with poultry. Did you crack the lid the last 15 min or so of cooking? That helps to dry it out.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby monik7 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:56 pm

So if I make this should I decrease the amount of water and crack the lid so the stuffing won't be soggy?
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Next

Return to Recipes