Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Just got this recipe off FB - and while I've been really good about only fresh foods, almost no bread or canned foods - luckily I allow myself some cheats, cuz this recipe is a keeper, and not too bad (at least not bad at all as far as sugar!)

First ... picture of my first attempt tonight:

The recipe:

2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers refrigerated biscuits

1) Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, combine vegetables, chicken and soup; mix well.
2) Press each biscuit into 5 1/2-inch round. Place 1 round in each of 8 greased regular-size muffin cups. Firmly press in bottom and up side, forming 3/4-inch rim. Spoon a generous 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each. Pull edges of dough over filling toward center; pleat and pinch dough gently to hold in place.
3) Bake at 375°F 20 to 22 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from pan.

Mine were finished way earlier than the time stated, probably 16 minutes, so obviously ovens vary - watch them. Also, I only have one muffin tin for 6 muffins. I discovered I wanted the rounds thinner and bigger - rolled the last two which cooked after the first much bigger - over 6 inches and then it was easier to fill and pinch them. I also didn't thaw the veggies first. Simply got them out, mixed the soup, veggies and chicken. Started the oven to preheat, and then had to roll out the biscuit dough - veggies were thawed enough by the time I put the mix into the biscuit rounds.

Edited to say I forgot to grease the muffin tins - if you have new ones like mine, no need (good thing lol)

So simple, and they are really, really good. I ate two of them and could go back for a third.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Those sound tasty and easy to make! Good recipe for cold snowy days!

(I have the same Correlle pattern you do!)
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Have seen the recipe on FB glad to see that some one tried it...so now I know where I want to try it or not
I think I might..but probably would use scratch biscuits ....
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 pm

snowball wrote:Have seen the recipe on FB glad to see that some one tried it...so now I know where I want to try it or not
I think I might..but probably would use scratch biscuits ....
sheila

That would only make it better, Sheila - I'm not so talented - was so happy to have only 4 ingredients lol
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cpatinjones » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Looks tasty!
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby JoanE » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Beth, I think you could use your fresh veggies. If you wanted them softer, you could do a quick saute but personally I like some crunchiness.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby MandysMom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:55 am

I had seen that recipe and been meaning to try it. Glad you posted picture and report.
MandysMom

Postby JoanE » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Tried your recipe with a few twists.
used fresh carrot, celery and onion sauteed slightly without oil
used a Fresh Market Hungarian Mushroom soup (lots of chunky mushrooms)
Did not pleat or pinch tops as I wanted more ingredients and less biscuit
baked in convection oven at 375 for about 12 minutes

Result was delicious.

Image[/url]
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm

JoanE wrote:Tried your recipe with a few twists.
used fresh carrot, celery and onion sauteed slightly without oil
used a Fresh Market Hungarian Mushroom soup (lots of chunky mushrooms)
Did not pleat or pinch tops as I wanted more ingredients and less biscuit
baked in convection oven at 375 for about 12 minutes

Result was delicious.

Image[/url]

Love your healthier version and is more like what I'd do next time ... but no mushrooms for me :)

I will continue to pleat the top - just rolling the dough much thinner - 7" etc - cuz I liked the results that way ... and it fills them really well.

Glad you enjoyed ... I simply love easy recipes that turn out good - and that we can find good variations that work for us.
Beth
Bethers

Postby GlennaRae » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 am

Beth,

We liked this recipe. I rolled the biscuits thin as well. The extra biscuits placed in a small pyrex dish. Bottom biscuit filled with rest of mixture and top biscuit cut in 5 strips. Made a lattice top.

Glenna
GlennaRae

Postby JudyJB » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Looks really good. I have a can of cream of chicken soup, so am going to get the biscuits and try this.

Has anyone tried freezing them? I like quick meals that can be reheated. I suppose you could refrigerate although they would lose some of the crispiness of the biscuits.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:28 am

Judy, I had intended to freeze, but decided to use them for dinner at work so simply refrigerated. I thought I'd end up coming home after the 1st night freezing the rest because the only way to heat them at work was in a microwave, and I didn't think I'd like them. They actually weren't bad, so I used all mine without freezing. Next batch I intend to try to freeze some. I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Beth
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:58 pm

I just made these, and they were excellent. I made 6 and put the extra two biscuits into a glass Pyrex dish and made a larger version. I ate two and am going to refrigerate two for lunch tomorrow and freeze two to see how they are frozen.

I am thinking that you could also make these with cream of mushroom soup and pre-cooked beef. In fact, it might be a good way to get rid of leftover roast beef!

I can also see these as being very good finger food for a buffet.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:27 am

JudyJB wrote:I just made these, and they were excellent. I made 6 and put the extra two biscuits into a glass Pyrex dish and made a larger version. I ate two and am going to refrigerate two for lunch tomorrow and freeze two to see how they are frozen.

I am thinking that you could also make these with cream of mushroom soup and pre-cooked beef. In fact, it might be a good way to get rid of leftover roast beef!

I can also see these as being very good finger food for a buffet.

Judy, I've been thinking on variations ever since I made them, too. I love simple that is so good ... and these really are. Please share if you try and variations that you like!
Beth
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:33 am

I think what is good about this recipe is the few ingredients and how
many possible variations there could be. So many recipes means trips to store and are too complicated for my short attention span!!!! :)
JudyJB
JudyJB

Next

Return to Recipes