Ideas needed

Re: Ideas needed

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 pm

JudyJB wrote:One more:

Take some boneless chicken breasts and thighs, or just the breasts if you prefer. Brown in a little butter.

While browning, put two cups rice in a buttered cassarole dish, add one can cream of chicken soup, 2.5 cups of water with one boullion cube dissolved, and juice of a lemon. Stir.

Add browned chicken on top of rice mixture, cover, and bake at 325 for 45 minutes or until rice is done. You might need to add a little water part way through if rice gets dry. I also like a little more lemon juice, but this family that is avoiding spicy things might not like this.

That sounds pretty darn good (I especially like the lemon part)...it'd work well in a DO while camping.
mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Quick question - are these for her or for the family? If for her (or both) then it's very important to remember that while in chemo they need to keep up certain levels - especially the proteins. Regular recipes often aren't high enough in proteins - so whatever you make - try to go for high protein levels and skip some of the "filler" stuff or limit it. Soups, while they taste great, might fill her up and not give her much of value (believe me I saw this with Jean who loved a tomato soup that had almost no value to it).

So - all those chicken recipes - make sure they are mainly chicken lol - And if a soup or casserole, throw in other high protein items - beans, for example.

She's lucky to have you helping.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 pm

mitch5252 wrote:
dayspring39 wrote:Jello with tuna and grated carrots topped with a dab of mayo...

........................................................Image

My thoughts exactly!!! Jello and tuna? Hmmmm.... :?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Bethers wrote:Quick question - are these for her or for the family? If for her (or both) then it's very important to remember that while in chemo they need to keep up certain levels - especially the proteins. Regular recipes often aren't high enough in proteins - so whatever you make - try to go for high protein levels and skip some of the "filler" stuff or limit it. Soups, while they taste great, might fill her up and not give her much of value (believe me I saw this with Jean who loved a tomato soup that had almost no value to it).

So - all those chicken recipes - make sure they are mainly chicken lol - And if a soup or casserole, throw in other high protein items - beans, for example.

She's lucky to have you helping.

THanks for the info, Beth. The meals are for the whole family. Her husband said most food/food smells make her nauseous but especially spicy, greasy types. So I'm not sure just what she is eating. He did say chicken dishes were good, and pasta.
AlmostThere

Postby sharon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Don't feel bad if she says something doesn't taste or smell good, chemo destroys taste buds and things that were favorites make a patient want to hurl. Unfortunately, sometimes the only thing they want is something bland, when what they need is high protein. Don't know if the family is doing it or not, but suggest a high protein drink mixed with ice cream to make a shake. Or Greek yogurt if that sounds good to her. The Greek has more protein that regular. Several of us here have dealt with chemo patients and it's really tough to find something that they'll eat. Sounds like you might just be helping the rest of the family out with meals, but that's a great thing, too. Bless you.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby snowball » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:51 am

everyone had really good ideas and thoughts
one idea depending upon the family is a dinner salad complete with meat
at a Cracker Barrel the other day they had a salad with the greens and strawberries pineapple chunks almonds crumbled cheese and broiled chicken
looked yummy but I'd just made one with tuna strawberries apples ect in it
too similar so didn't get it :D
my heart goes out to the family and your friend...bless you all in what you desire to do
sheila
snowball

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Thank you, Sheila, and a great idea for the salad. I hadn't thought of doing that.
AlmostThere

Previous

Return to Recipes