Lenguas de gato cookies

Lenguas de gato cookies

Postby cnq50b » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Lenguas de gato cookie recipe

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) room temp
1 1/4 cup extra-fine sugar
1/2 cup egg whites (4 eggs) room temp (1 whole & 2 whites - works too - this is what I use)
1 1/2 cups flour (sift as you put it into the mixture)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter well
Add the sugar slowly & cream again until soft & fluffy - beat a couple of minutes
Add egg whites gradually, beating well after each addition - beat about 3 minutes
(Note: I'm not sure I beat them quite this long, but the key is to beat them until they're really fluffy)
Add the salt & vanilla - beat in
Add flour gradually & mix well (don’t over beat it - just beat/stir until it is mixed in well)
Put dough in a piping bag ,(I use a dessert maker thing with the decorator 4b tip)
Pipe onto parchment paper on cookie sheet (approx 2-3 “ long)
(A consistent size helps them cook more uniformly)
Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes (depends on size) or until edges start to brown - they burn quicky so set the timer!
Remove & let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to cookie rack
Cook & store in airtight containers or in freezer

Here's a link to a site with a similar recipe (there are dozens of variations on the internet) with a video at the end if you'd like to watch how it's done. http://panlasangpinoy.com/2010/12/11/lengua-de-gato/
Enjoy!
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Re: Lenguas de gato cookies

Postby snowball » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 pm

thanks for posting it so quickly couple questions... need to use a electric beater I am assuming....kept forgetting to replace mine. remember you saying that you
tried using almond but prefer vanilla tell me again why???
and how many does it make any ideas?
also remember when we were talking about the meat sandwiches? the one from Vensuala was pupusas not spelled correctly but close
again nice meeting you
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 am

I was curious about the meaning of the name, which means "tongue of cat". Strange name for cookies! What do they taste like?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby avalen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 am

Thanks Catherine, I will attempt making those. Good thing you left those cookies with Sheila and not me cause they would not have made it to the potluck! Lol lol I'm a bit of a cookie monster.
Last edited by avalen on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby cnq50b » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Barb,
The name 'Cat's tongue' is because of their shape... kind of like a cat's tongue.
Open the link to the video at the bottom of the recipe & you'll see a picture of them. They're just a delicate sugar cookie. Nothing very fancy, just delicious little cookies.

Sheila,
Yes, I tried almond, but the flavor wasn't that strong so if I do it again, I might put more, but it just wasn't that noticeable to mess with.
I use a hand mixer. To be light, they need to be beaten a lot! I've made another version from Peru that were just stirred with a spoon but they were much heavier - not as delicate.
The number I left behind was probably a little more than 1 batch. Beware, if you have people there while you're making them, you'll be lucky to have a handful left. They are just too easy to eat.

And the humidity can keep them from getting crisp. They still taste great, but they are a softer consistency. I hit the jackpot the night I made those.

Ava/Alice, Really glad you liked them. I have a problem with sweets too, so I HAD to leave them behind. :lol:
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby cnq50b » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Sheila, yes, papusas... I've had them too. They're good, but have more dough than Saltena's.

Here's link to what Saltena's look like.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/saltena-corner-anaheim-5?select=9dxzmwJP8e-ivvhecdpz4A

Just looking at them makes me want one. Think I'd better put a couple of my frozen stash in the oven for lunch.

If you're ever in the LA area, I'd love to share some with you. The frozen ones have to stay frozen until you bake them or they get soggy so I don't know that I'd ever be able to bring them to a GTG unless it's close enough for me to bake them at home or buy cooked ones directly from the guys who make them.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Return to Recipes