Crock Pot Chicken- mexican style

Crock Pot Chicken- mexican style

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:56 pm

1 1/2 lb. frozen boneless skinless chick breast ( 3 - 4 breasts)
can black beans (I have also used chili beans)
can of rotel (any one you choose, I use mild)
salsa (I use about 8 oz.)
8 oz. cream cheese (reg. low fat, no fat whichever you prefer)

Put frozen chicken breasts in crock pot, cover with beans, rotel, and salsa. Cook on high 4-5 hrs. or on low for about 10 hrs. until chicken is cooked. Put the cream cheese on top and stir it into the mixture, this will also shred the chicken. Cook for an additional 30 min. This can be used with tortilla chips as a dip, in taco shells, enchilada shells, salad, on rice or whatever else you can think of. This is so easy to make, tastes great, and also freezes really well.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Re: Crock Pot Chicken- mexican style

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:22 pm

I will be trying this. Yum!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby chalet05 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 pm

I believe I will try this one! I was doing some research not long ago and some believe it is safer to thaw chicken first. Matter of opinion I suppose.
Anita
chalet05

Postby snowball » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:36 pm

this sounds really good but have a question....do you put the cream cheese in at the beginning
or half hour before being through?
sheila
snowball

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 pm

Shelia -- the cream cheese is added at the end, about 30 min. before it is done.
I have never tried it with thawed chicken, we have always used frozen.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:12 pm

chalet05 wrote:I believe I will try this one! I was doing some research not long ago and some believe it is safer to thaw chicken first. Matter of opinion I suppose.

I think it might depend how the chicken is thawed, but it should be safe to start it cooking from frozen. It's not safe to thaw on the counter, which is seen so often. For me whether thawed or frozen will depend on if I buy fresh breasts or use what's in the freezer. :-)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:09 pm

Making this today using induction burner which easily mimics slow cooker including sides of pan getting hot. We have had good luck with the induction burner Mel got for my birthday in really slow simmer. We are able to warm a pot of chili without it sticking and scorching. So chicken going in shortly and rotel, beans, and salsa. Let you know how long to cook and how it turned out. Might cut up chicken to make it faster.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby MandysMom » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm

It is delicious!!! I sliced one medium onion and added before cooking. Brought to simmer the chicken, beans, salsa, rotel, and onion and kept on low simmer. Cooked in about two hours. I did not want to shred chicken because Mel takes it and weighs. I put the recipe through Fat Secret, the app we like for calculating, and it's about 17 carbs for 1/8 of the recipe or about a healthy cup. Served over jasmine rice. The cream cheese thickened slightly the mixture and leveled out the heat of medium rotel. This is definately going to be done again.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Good to know as I have all the ingredients and will be making this in a couple days, with the hot rotel. The advantage of making things just for me, I can go as spicy as I like it. All but one serving of my beef dish is in the freezer, this will be joining those.
Beth
Bethers

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it! I took some out of the freezer for tomorrow -
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Reading the recipe, I decided to not freeze it with the cream cheese in. So after it all cooked in the crock pot up to that step, I removed it and separated it into four meals. Three got frozen and one then went in a sauce pan and got 1/4 of the cream cheese, after first being heated back up. It just needed to be stirred occasionally while the cream cheese thickened the liquid and got completely incorporated.

I used the spiciest Rotel and Love it. I'll definitely make this again and just think doing the cream cheese just before serving works best.

Definitely a keeper recipe. And if I was sharing, I'd not use the hottest Rotel, but it's perfect for me.
Beth
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:37 am

I think that was a very good idea to freeze before adding cream cheese as I hear it does not freeze well. We liked it too and I plan to do again.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 pm

I freeze it all the time with the cream cheese, no problem. Since it is not in block form and part of the sauce it freezes well. Glad everyone has enjoyed it.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Return to Recipes