Savory microwave winter squash

Savory microwave winter squash

Postby gingerK » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 am

My DH usually grows 2 types of squash in the garden and we are always looking for good recipes. One of his buddies made this and it's so simple and good I thought I'd share.

Peel and seed squash and cut into small cubes (I do about 1") and place in microwave safe bowl.

Melt about 1/4 to 1/2 c of butter and pour over squash (you can use olive oil or any other oil instead if you don't want to use butter)

Sprinkle with salt & pepper

Cook on high for 10 min. or until squash is cooked.

We usually use butternut squash but other squashes could be used too I am sure.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Re: Savory microwave winter squash

Postby MandysMom » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm

We have come to love roasting veggies including butternut, which we had just not eaten in past because we did not like that steamed taste. Might try your way though.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:57 pm

I love roasted veggies - have discovered all sorts of things one can roast. I usually use a little olive oil and sometimes a few herbs along with salt and pepper. Next time you roast the winter squash try roasting sweet onions and rosemary with it; this is a good combination with sweet potatoes also..
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 pm

My biggest problem with butternut squash is cutting the dang thing! I practically need a chainsaw to cut it up! :x Maybe there is a trick to it?
Otherwise I love squash and that sounds like an easy way to make it (once it is cut up! :roll: )
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby snowball » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:22 am

have you tried peeling it with a potato peeler? think it's butternut you can do that with...I think I just cut it down the center and scoop
out the seeds
this does sound good but a bit long to use the microwave when boondocking so think I'll try roasting it
sheila
snowball

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:47 am

Barbie - I cannot cut into most of the winter squash either. I did discover that my grocery store (Publix) will cut them in half for me. The only draw back to that is you have to cook it right away but it sure does make prep easier.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby gingerK » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:14 am

If this helps here's how I peel a butternut squash: I cut the "neck" portion off the squash and stand it on a cutting board on it's flat end. Then I use a sharp knife to peel the skin off cutting down from the top. I know when I cook acorn squash I microwave them first for 5-6 min. to get them soft, then they are easier to cut in half and seed.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:02 am

Just found out that one can buy CUT up butternut squash at Ralph's and CostCo!!! Hooray! I love squash! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Redetotry » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:56 pm

I pierce the squash with a knife in a few places and put it in the microwave for about 5 minutes, depending on size. I haven't tried peeling it after but usually just pre-cook a bit so it is easy to cut in half. When baking acorn or butternut I like to fill the centers with about a tablespoon ( or less) of either maple syrup or brown sugar, a small amount of butter (less than a tablespoon) pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It smells really good while cooking.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Return to Recipes