Learning convection oven in RV

Learning convection oven in RV

Postby Wendy4Annie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 am

Any hints, suggestions, recipes for my new convection/microwave oven?
Wendy4Annie

Re: Learning convection oven in RV

Postby Bethers » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:59 am

My rv convection/ microwave didn't work like a home convection oven in that it needed pretty much the same cook time as a regular oven. You'll probably need to experiment.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Irmi » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:46 am

This is the first time I've had a convection oven and it's very similar to cooking in a regular oven. I downloaded the instruction manual so I knew exactly how to work mine, and once you get the hang of it, it's quite simple.
Irmi

Postby Deeann » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 pm

I had a large 5th wheel for awhile and it had a convection oven. I didn't have a manual so I read up on how to use them on the internet. It did okay I guess, but it would not make a pan of cornbread. I baked it in a round pan. The outside was done and the inside was still mushy.

I still prefer a regular oven because that's what I'm used to. I was never quite sure how the convection oven would cook anything so I didn't use it much.
Deeann

Postby sharon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 am

Deeann wrote:I had a large 5th wheel for awhile and it had a convection oven. I didn't have a manual so I read up on how to use them on the internet. It did okay I guess, but it would not make a pan of cornbread. I baked it in a round pan. The outside was done and the inside was still mushy.

I still prefer a regular oven because that's what I'm used to. I was never quite sure how the convection oven would cook anything so I didn't use it much.

I found out thru experimentation that cornbread and cakes have to be elevated on the wire racks that come with it...so does popcorn that pops in the bag. Biscuits and cookies can be baked directly on the plate that comes with it. I put tin foil down first. I also elevate casseroles. In other words, anything that's dense has to be elevated to get even baking. Other than that, times and temps are the same as a regular oven. Oh yeah, elevate pie, too.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby MandysMom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:51 am

Sharon it is interesting what you said because our GMC bus came with a microwave convection oven. No book but I looked it up. Did not have the metal rack and could not figure out why cornbread would not bake. Now I know. Next rv will be new so will have directions and rack! Thanks for the tip.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 am

My convection micro didn't come with a wire rack. I quickly learned, thank you Google, that I needed one. Found one on EBay I believe, ordered it, and what a world of difference. I used it from that point forward no matter what I was cooking.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Deeann » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 am

Sharon, thanks for the tip. I knew there had to be some trick to operating the darn thing, I just didn't know what it was. I didn't get a rack with mine since I bought the trailer used. But I sold the 5er so I don't have to worry about it now. Yeah!
Deeann

Postby IrishIroamed » Wed May 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Received the monthly newsletter from the Winnebago/Itasca dealer in Forest City, IA near the factory. They are having a live webcast about convention ovens if interested.

Convection Oven Class – Live Webcast
Wednesday May 28, 2:00 PM (CST)
Lichtsinn.com/tv/webcast.aspx
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Return to Recipes