We're finally going to do it....Beach Boondocking!!

We're finally going to do it....Beach Boondocking!!

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Okay......I've read some of Sparkle's experience and I know Beth has done alot of Beach Boondocking, but I need everyone's help.....We've decided that after the TX GTG, we're going to skip the rest of Nov. at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio and head for Malaquite Campground on Padre Island....they have a dump station and a fresh water station and potties.....and the price is right at $4 with my America the Beautiful card (National Park Service)......Ernie and I haven't really totally boondocked yet so this will be our first experience :shock: .....We think we can pull this off, but would like to have you gals input......this park has sites marked so we don't have to guess if we are too close to the surf.......oh, we're so excited :D So please, words of wisdom.....

Thank you Sista's!!! ;)

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Re: We're finally going to do it....Beach Boondocking!!

Postby oregontocal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Lori, it sounds like a lot of fun and I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. However, I've only boondocked in the desert since I don't believe California allows camping on most beaches. Then again, I haven't checked because most of them are so crowded I wouldn't want to stay there anyway.

But, I love to boondock because in some ways, at least in my small rig, it's almost like tent camping again, except with some electricity and hard walls. Because the water tank in my RV is pretty small, I'm usually challenged for water supply so I stock up on paper plates, bowls, and cups. Oh, and I usually don't do a lot of cooking, so don't have to wash pots or pans anyway. Unless I'm going to be around a lot of people who haven't been camping or boondocking and smell the same as I do, I forgo the showers for a few days and try to wash up the way people did in the past--with a wash cloth and a little bit of water.

Anyway, for what my experience is worth, I hope it helped just a little. Have a great time!
oregontocal

Postby Carolinagal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi Lori, my first question would be , do you have a generator, or how are you set up for lights etc. Then I would suggest, that you make sure your propane tanks are full, and when you get there dump your gray and black water tanks and fill up with fresh water, before you park. Then conserve your water, so tanks don't fill to fast or you run out of water and have to move it to take care of this problem.

Once you've done it, you'll find its no problem and can be lots of fun to be parked just anywhere.

Gas for the generator, is important too. Mine runs off of my r.v. tank,(I have a class C), so I make sure its full because it will shut down at a quarter tank, so I can make it somewhere for gas, uses very little gas though.

Another thought, if there has been a lot of rain down in that area, maybe you ought to try to go in with empty gray and black tanks. I have found flooded dumps at times.

I can't think of anything else. I've done it so much, I do everything without thinking, so I am sure to have forgotten something. But there is plenty of help here on the forum.

Have a great time. Sounds like so much fun.
See you all soon, Carol
Carolinagal

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks Chris and Carol......we do have a generator, gas cans, and always fill the propane tanks when we move so this should not be a problem.....Ernie says that he will keep in mind about the flooded dump station tanks....we've run into that before, too..... :lol: I love paper plates, etc and use them all the time...so no problems there.....

Lori
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2008 Toyota Tundra
rvgrammy1953

Postby Sparkle » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:26 pm

The problem with the 4.00 spots that I have found is you have no view of the ocean. I hope yours is better. The ones at the State Park at Port Aransas are behind high dunes. I'm looking forward to hearing about where you are going.
Sparkle

Postby SeeyaGal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:39 pm

When we boondock we only wash dishes once a day and use paper plates and bowls so less washing. We use basins ( for the life of me I cannot find them lately :shock: :roll: ) and pitch ONLY the dish water outside on a bush to keep the bush alive..only if allowed. I never dump the gray water outside....sometimes it smells as bad as the black tank!
Yep dump & fill your tanks before you get to your campsite. If the bathhouse has showers ...use them! Use up their water not yours.If they don't we take navy baths, less baths or for me I use Baby Wipes. Amazing how good a bath you can get in 2 cups of water though.

Cook meals that do not require the microwave. Those are my chili and Beef stew nights.
Have fun!!! :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Bethers » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:12 am

I don't want to be a spoil sport - but need you to check a few things. That area has gotten a lot of garbage wash up from Galveston - and my understanding is that they haven't got it cleaned like it needs to be. Please call there and check on this. All areas keep getting better, but it's important to know. Our beaches were all cleaned - and with the high tides this week, got yucky again - not nearly as bad as before, but still yucky. Rumor here is that Padre is worse (or maybe just hasn't been cleaned up as well.)

Second, the high tides with the erosion from the hurricanes, have made some beach camping not as good as some other - so, again, keep this in mind. I suggest you go and take a look, and then decide.

That said, I'd go and give it a try - but always remember to keep watch on the tides and what is expected - because there will be times you might have to move off the beach (remember when Sparkle should have :) )

One area that I'll go back to beach camp again is in Magnolia Beach in Port Lavaca - which has beach camping. And right behind that beach is a campground (10 spots, I think) that RetiredHappy is going to in March. That's a boondocking beach that I also recommend down here. I do not know if they have a dump station - didn't look for one - just took a night at the little park - filled tanks, dumped etc.

As to you and boondocking, I don't see you having any problems. The biggest thing you'll have to get used to is not being able to take showers as often - getting used to really limiting your water use. And don't think of letting your grey water lose - if you get caught - you'd not like the fines.

Oh, in TX - where I am - you need to have a $12 sticker for all vehicles that park on the beach (except in a couple designated "free" parking areas) - so check on that where ever you go - $12 is nothing - but the fine if you don't have it - is like $200.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:57 am

I use "No-Rinse" body wash, (available at medical supply drugstores ) with a little bit of water for those sponge baths. One wash cloth for upper body, and another for lower. There's also a No-Rinse shampoo available.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Thanks, Beth, for the garbage issue....you had mentioned that earlier in the General Posts....I had forgotten about it.....we'll be sure to call and check when we head out.....The $12 sticker thing we didn't know about it.....will remember to ask.....maybe you can get away for a day or 2 to join us... ;)

You all have given us alot to put on the list and we really appreciate it...
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2008 Toyota Tundra
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:37 pm

I just bet I could get away for a couple days to join you. What fun! We'll talk at the gtg.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby slgulezian » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Sounds wonderful! I can't wait to start boondocking and I will add this to my list. thanks. Have a great time and keep us posted with pictures.
Sharon from fl.
slgulezian

Return to Boondocking