Set-up for Boondocking

Re: Set-up for Boondocking

Postby Deonne » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Vicki - Great site! Thanks for recommending it.

Beth - Makes sense. I'm trying to get my head around all this new information, and I think I now understand that instead of worrying about how to run everything, figure out how to run things the best you can, then make do with whatever doesn't work. (E.g. if I'm somewhere and I want to run the AC, but don't have city power, that's the way it goes. A little extra deodorant, ha.) I think it'll be awhile before I'm doing much off-grid scamping - I remind myself, Baby steps. Get comfortable doing it the easier way and work up to what's beyond that.

The upshot is I gave the go-ahead to my friend on the panel install. Looks like materials will be about $450 since I don't need a new battery - Scamp put in a nice deep cell, and that should be all I need. I get anxious when there are so many unknowns (to me), and I need to just have a glass of wine and settle down!
Share the journey with Sadie and Me at http://www.gonescamping.com.

Life is short. Don't wait.

Deonne

Postby WickedLady » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:39 pm

I recently bought a portable 120W solar on Ebay. It is two 60W panels that fold together and have a carry bag. It is all set to hook to the battery and is perfect for a small tt that has no room on the roof. You have to watch out that it does not get stolen, however. Don't figure on running an AC with solar as it would take a VERY large number of batteries.
WickedLady

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:10 pm

The portable ones I looked at didn't have the controller, etc to use and do what I wanted. Maybe yours does. I know some do - but I want mine installed - don't want something else to have to put up and take down.

Also, if you install it flat on the roof, it will work as well as those that people make and slant, etc. As long as the sun is hitting it. That's according to a couple different of the companies who make/install them. But some people think they have to get them slanted. And when I was in AZ one guy, in order to slant them right, took forever to get his rig parked in a specific direction to hit the sun just right that afternoon. Yep, in the morning, he had to turn the rig around. Geez. I just sat and laughed.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Deonne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:05 am

I considered the portable ones, but for what I need I decided to go with the panel installed on the roof. Since there's no chance of it powering the AC/fridge anyway, what I'm getting is plenty. (Apparently. This is all new to me, so don't think that me saying this means I actually know what I'm talking about. Ha.)

Beth - That is funny. I'm too lazy to deal with that kind of finessing. And I forgot to say I agree about generators - the noise puts me off, even if they're the "quiet" ones. I'm hoping to not buy a generator at all, and make do with solar and propane.

Deonne

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Deonne wrote:And I forgot to say I agree about generators - the noise puts me off, even if they're the "quiet" ones. I'm hoping to not buy a generator at all, and make do with solar and propane.

Funny, I'm used to having a generator, so love it - but you know when? When I stop for lunch - turn it one and nuke something to have something other than a sandwich, and without taking long to cook. When I'm stopped, I prefer not using it - hate listening to it. Which is why I want solar. And your solar panel will be much cheaper than getting and running a generator. Or maintaining one, when I think of all I've spent to maintain mine. After I have my solar, I don't intend to use the generator much, either. And could live without it. Only had to use it last winter in Mexico to charge my batteries - solar would have taken care of that and better! Many, many many of the folks on the beaches in Baja didn't have generators. The ones traveling in the caravans did - and were the people on their overnights that would turn on the generator at 6 am to make their coffee and wake us all up. Oh did some people want to cuss at them :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Deonne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:27 am

Beth - Yes, the switch from generator to solar, that's what I'm trying to avoid. The guy who will install mine is one of those Mexico RVers - he's got a 22' rig he's solarized and goes off-grid for a few months at a time, apparently. Re: the people who crank up the generator at 6 a.m. - It's amazing how clueless people can be, isn't it?

Deonne

Postby Liz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Just came across this website with lots of information about RV solar panels:
http://www.amsolar.com/education.html
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby WickedLady » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:09 pm

I went with the portable (yes, it does have a controller) so I could also use it with Foot Loose when I don't want to tow Fancy-Free.
I also have an inverter to go with it.
WickedLady

Postby Deonne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks, Liz!

WickedLady - that makes sense, especially if you've got two rigs. Thanks for chiming in!

Deonne

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:59 pm

Deonne...Myrtle is a mh, so not experienced with tt's. I have a little solar panel on my front AC. Not sure if it works as the little red light on the inside doesn't light up, but haven't had any problems when boondocking, so far. If you just need to recharge things like your laptop, camera, etc....You can buy an inexpensive inverter at Walmart. It's called CyberPower (Model no. CPS-150BI). I think it was less than $10...under $20 for sure. It plugs into your 12 V cigarette lighter in your car and it converts the power to 120V. You can recharge things while driving :D I originally bought it to run my laptop when I used a GPS program I had for it. It comes in handy. I can use it to play my satellite radio while driving Myrtle. It's just hard to keep those heavy adapters plugged in on bumpy roads :x You have to use your imagination. I found another 12V outlet up on the passenger side, near the floor, so will use that next trip ;)

P.S.
Be sure to keep your marine batteries topped off with distilled water. Many people forget or don't know to check them and they go bad. I mark my calendar to top them off once a month.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Deonne » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:44 am

Linda - That's a great suggestion, but I realized I also wanted solar for powering my fan, lights, and water pump, and the cost won't be too bad. Plus, I'll get karma points, right? (ha) And thanks for the tip on the battery - I had no idea!

Are you in Southern AZ for the winter? I'm heading there in December - not sure exactly where - but it would be fun to meet up.

Deonne

Postby bikerchic777 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:57 pm

I'm in Apache Junction for the winter. Would love to gtg! Keep in touch :D
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Deonne » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 am

Apache Junction, great! I'll let you know where/when I'll be as it gets closer.

Deonne

Postby Roxanne » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:00 am

Disclaimer: we haven't boondocked yet. We're preparing so that we can do a lot of it, but it's all unproven ... except for the composting toilet. That's been proven very well. We use a Nature's Head. I've been playing with alternative ways to bathe and do laundry, but I've begun to suspect even my fellow RVers think I'm off my nut when I describe my experiments.

http://thegoodluckduck.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-two-pint-shower.html
http://thegoodluckduck.blogspot.com/2011/01/everything-bucket-should-be.html
http://thegoodluckduck.blogspot.com/2009/06/bucket-roxi.html

We do want to boondock a lot. Not that we have anything against campgrounds, except their price and other people. :D
Roxanne & Annie
The Good Luck Duck
Roxanne

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:51 am

Don't understand the reason for the pump sprayer to shower. I have a hand held in my rig's shower with a switch to turn the water off and on at the shower head. I get wet, turn it off, suds and turn it on to rinse. Use very little water this way.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

PreviousNext

Return to Boondocking