Coconino National Forest Peaks District

Coconino National Forest Peaks District

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Has anyone boondocked here? I've never boondocked before, but want to give it a try. It'll be close to freezing at night. I have a heater that I've never used. I really want to be off the beaten path for at least a day/night.

http://freecampsites.net/#!3337&query=sitedetails

Any replies appreciated.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Re: Coconino National Forest Peaks District

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:38 pm

I go to many of those areas. Do not know that I've ever been to that one. Make sure you don't go if there's been any rain (saying that from what they say about the road!). Those are the kinds of places I love. But they are not all created equal - so read carefully what they say about roads in, etc.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks, Mitch. Pinegrove Campground looks interesting. I wonder if I can use my old lady card there. I'll call and ask.
And thanks to you too, Beth. You posted while I was looking at Mitch's links.
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:29 pm

It sure reads like beautiful..... where ever you land have fun communing with the awesome!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Deeann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 am

Keep your eyes peeled if you boondock there. This area is famous for UFO sightings, Bigfoot, etc. I'm not saying this to scare you. But you might get lucky and spot a UFO in the area. I've never seen one and would love to spot one! They used to frequent the area where I had my TT on the lake but I never got lucky enough to see one. I don't know that this EXACT area has any UFO's or Bigfoot sightings but down in the Show Low area and around the Mogollon Rim they do have some.

I know, I know. Some of you are laughing at me right now. Go ahead. I don't mind. lol But they're out there!
Deeann

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 am

Remember if you're boondocking you can't just plug your heater in and if you run your propane heater the fan runs off your batteries. Time to take Olive UNDER the covers with you.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Olive6001 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:07 am

This thread and my thread in Gadgets and Gizmos have turned into one thread on boondocking in freezing temps. I responded in Gadgets...
It all comes down to the fact that living in South Texas has really screwed up my notion of what normal May weather is. What do you mean it's not 90F everywhere? You'd never know that I've lived in just about every climate on earth at one time or another. It's also true that I am something of a princess, bankrupt aristocracy. I can be just a bit picky and a real PITA when I'm physically uncomfortable. Just ask Karen if you don't believe me. :lol: :lol: :lol: She is such a good sport and a good friend. But the younger more resilient me was a lot tougher and I'm very tired of being so....whatever. I want to toughen up. Maybe boondocking alone in freezing weather is a little ambitious for a first step? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm learning so much and I haven't even left the driveway. May 16 is launch date.

Thanks to everyone for helping me think this through. :lol: :lol: I just don't want to take I-10 yet again.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

Olive6001 wrote:...But the younger more resilient me was a lot tougher and I'm very tired of being so....whatever. I want to toughen up. Maybe boondocking alone in freezing weather is a little ambitious for a first step? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm learning so much and I haven't even left the driveway. May 16 is launch date.

mitch5252

Postby Deeann » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:10 pm

If you do go boondocking in the freezing weather, be careful of your water lines. You don't want it to get below freezing inside your camper.
Deeann

Postby cnq50b » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Deeann wrote:Keep your eyes peeled if you boondock there. This area is famous for UFO sightings, Bigfoot, etc. I'm not saying this to scare you. But you might get lucky and spot a UFO in the area. I've never seen one and would love to spot one! They used to frequent the area where I had my TT on the lake but I never got lucky enough to see one. I don't know that this EXACT area has any UFO's or Bigfoot sightings but down in the Show Low area and around the Mogollon Rim they do have some.

I know, I know. Some of you are laughing at me right now. Go ahead. I don't mind. lol But they're out there!

Deeann, My dad was in the Air Force reserves - He firmly believed in UFOs. I'm not laughing... 8-)
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 pm

cnq50b wrote:...I'm not laughing... 8-)

But are you being sarcastic?
(the statement and the emoticon don't quite jive...)
mitch5252

Postby cnq50b » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:44 pm

mitch5252 wrote:
cnq50b wrote:...I'm not laughing... 8-)

But are you being sarcastic?
(the statement and the emoticon don't quite jive...)

Nope, I'm not. Daddy was very serious about this. He was very convincing.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Did he ever see one?
I would LOVE to see one.
When my family was on a camping vacation back in the late 50s maybe (I was under 10), we were in OK and we ALL saw something weird in the sky. My Mom and Dad truly felt it was a UFO.
mitch5252

Postby cnq50b » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 pm

He swore he did - which is why we all grew up wondering - maybe, just maybe....
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Next

Return to Boondocking