boondocking in GA

boondocking in GA

Postby CricketSail » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 am

My first couple of months full timing it in the rv, well, it's been an experience. But I'm still looking for my "lifestyle." The trip down the NE coast during the polar vortex, I hope not to do that again. I've been grateful for hookup in the campgrounds farther south, but I'm paying for amenities that I don't care about and it seems confining. I can get around quite well in my 27' class C, but I'm not towing a car.

Next week I get solar panels installed, so that should help a lot. As I leave Florida, I plan to be heading up the coast of GA, and I'd like to try something different, not Walmart, not campgrounds. I do like hookup, but I also like nature and to go on long walks with my dogs. Any suggestions about where to stay as I head up the coast of GA? I love beaches and the woods. If I could be in the woods (with wifi) I'd be in heaven.
CricketSail

Re: boondocking in GA

Postby grammynmaggie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:02 am

I love all the ST. Park all along the east coast...
that is where I stay as often as I can while going
from FL to PA...and the COE parks...with America
the Beautiful senior pass...you can stay at COE park
1/2 price...lots of nature in the type of parks
donna ;)
grammynmaggie

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 am

State Parks in GA is what I would suggest....coming up I-95 there are 3 I can suggest....#1 just over the state line with FL is Crooked River SP....located near St. Marys, GA...wooded with access to the salt marshes....Cumberland Island National Reserve via ferryboat....w/e hookups with dump station....#2 Fort McAllister SP. Exit 90 taking GA 144 east....wooded also with water access and w/e/dump station, too.....#3 Skidaway SP located very close to Savannah with water access, w/e/dump station.....Tybee Island has a RV Park, but hear it's pricey....hope this helps....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:18 pm

This doesn't exactly address your question but you may find it helpful in future travel. Most of the few places I looked at on the list don't offer hook ups but some do.
http://freecampsites.net/usa/

I've only stayed at a couple of Corps of Engineers parks in TN but if they are representative of COE, then I would also recommend them.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby JudyJB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:02 pm

This is a little farther north, but there is some gorgeous camping in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, in particular, Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke, which are part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The ferries from Cape Hatteras are free, but can be a wild ride if it is windy. I stayed last year at Ocracoke campground, but it was a little cold and windy in mid-April. Almost everything is right on the ocean, since the islands are long and thin. Nice lighthouses to climb also.

I plan to go there again in 2015, but maybe more like in mid- to late May instead of April. Note that some of the national park campgrounds don't even open until late May!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 am

What national forest land is on your route? Generally "dispersed camping" is allowed anywhere in the national forests, although some areas have restrictions to preserve the environment. A call to the forest's main ranger station can get you that info.

If you're set up for boondocking and like fairly remote areas, I think you'd really enjoy it.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby CricketSail » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22 am

Many thanks for all your comments. I will most likely be checking out these places you suggest next fall. I'm hustling back to Salem right now and will be there for the 2014 summer. I expect next December I'll be dashing south again. It will be so different now that I have the solar panels, electric and heat that I didn't have when I took off on my trip. The improvements in the rig are making a huge difference. Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out. - Sharon
CricketSail

Postby linann » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Check out Hunting Island SP in South Carolina, just north of Hilton Head and east of Beauford. It is right on the ocean with a dog friendly beach and lots of pull through sites. I was there for Spring Break and fell in love with this park. Georgia has pretty SP's, but you book a "type" of site and do not get to pick your actual site until you arrive. Florida and South Carolina let you view and book the actual site online. The SP campgrounds usually have electric. Some of the ACE campgrounds may not have electric so your solar will be valuable there.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby JudyJB » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49 pm

I'm at Old Federal Campground along Lake Lanier right now, about 70 miles northeast of Atlanta. It is a COE campground, so cost is $14 per night for seniors with electric and water. Like all COE campgrounds, it is very well taken care of with paved roads, asphalt pads, and gravel picnic areas. Gorgeous views of the lake from almost every spot. There is also a washer and dryer at each shower/restroom, and I peeked my head into the ladies facility and it looked clean.

Most sites are woody, but it is not heavy woods, and you can see the lake easily and watch the sailboats and power boats. I am on a peninsula so I can see the lake on both sides. Good Verizon service, also, and I am in a spot where I can get satellite. I saw a lot of people with air TV also. Can make reservations through Recreation.gov.

I am definitely coming back here sometime to spend more time. This isn't boondocking, but it is inexpensive if you are over 62 and have your Senior Federal card.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Boondocking