Boondocking Safety

Boondocking Safety

Postby daibraik » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:44 am

So, as I plan my first journey south in about a month, I think I'll be staying at campgrounds (with a lot of research). Somehow, I can't see myself boon docking as a solo female, not on BLM land, not by the side of a road, not in a Walmart or Cracker Barrel. It just doesn't feel safe. I'd wake up with every bump in the night. I have boon docked but my S/O was there, and not that he would be a great help in an intrusion, it does feel better to be with someone than alone when boon docking...for me.

Any thoughts? Solo-wise?

Dawn
Dawn
2014 Thor ACE 29.2
2014 Chevrolet Sonic
Magellan (the GPS)
Currently in Arizona for the winter
daibraik

Re: Boondocking Safety

Postby DearMissMermaid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 am

I have been solo RV-ing for 4 years with only the rare occasional boondocking, typically somewhere gorgeous that I just wanted to see. I have a friend with property on a river, we go there and boondock for a weekend, but camping in a parking lot somewhere just isn't my cup of tea.

I was initially super concerned about my safety of being alone and being weak from illness.

I prefer state, county, city and national parks. They have surprisingly good security. Gates are locked at night and campers do have a code if they need to come and go. I've had virtually no trouble at all. I like to be off the beaten path, soaking up nature, but I like to plug in too.

The trick is to work and rework your budget so you come up with an average daily camping rate you can afford, then shoot to hit under that as much as possible. In some areas, you will shoot over it, if there is a certain place you want to be and the going rates are higher. Some places have weekly and monthly rates that are discounted, so I take advantage of that too. I am not in a big hurry, I don't need to see the highway every day. I even took up workamping part of the year, so I could save up campground funding for the rest of the year. For me personally, this suits me far better than boondocking. I just don't care to camp in parking lots.

In my sailing days overseas, I didn't have utilities for nearly 2 decades, so now I am plenty happy to be able to park and plug in. I prefer beauty in nature, I don't need or want resort type amenities. I have a dog and we like to get out and walk and see our world up close and personal. Sorry but there is just nothing I want to see in a Walmart parking lot. Matter of fact, I must be the only American that doesn't even like their shopping. I find 90% of what I need at the Dollar General stores which are often out in the country near the far flung parks I am going to. They have good parking, the store is small and the cashiers fast, and the prices better. You can't boondock there, but you can save on shopping.

When making advance reservations, I always say 2 for number in party. On the ReserveAmerica, I typically say 6 because the vast majority of public grounds allow 6 anyhow...

So why do I inflate my numbers? They say safety in numbers! LOL!

I don't know WHO is on the other end when I am making reservations, since 2 is the typical number in an RV, I tell them 2 by telephone or computer reservation. Recently I checked in and they wanted the driver license to copy of the other adult with me, I just said, oh they didn't arrive yet, it's just me for now.

Go to Goodwill or some used shop. Buy huge used men's shoes, biggest you can find, like gnarly work boots and sandals etc. Park those outside your RV door when camping. Assorted big sized shoes outside make it look like you are not alone if anyone is creeping by, but I think you will find the parks 99% safe.

I had always had big dogs, but when I moved to my RV I had no dogs. A few months later I adopted a little 6 pound mutt, he is VERY attentive to our security. It's been hard training him, dogs aren't born trained, you have to work with them in a loving manner until the get the hang of good doggy manners and you still have to keep training so you end up with a pet that is a joy to have. I wanted him not to be a yapper, that took training, but he does instinctively protect the pack. I sleep so well, because if anyone comes on our camping lot after dark, he puts out the alarm. But if campers and cars are driving down the camp road, he is quiet. He has learned!

In one campground some fool kept walking right past my door at night to take a shortcut to the restrooms. This guy was out at all hours! My dog would bark up the alarm. I thought that would teach the man to take the correct path, but no he kept doing that. I virtually never have any complaints at any campgrounds, but I asked the manager/ranger to handle this for me. Next night, all is quiet, but I woke up anyhow, and happened to see the guy taking the correct path this time. My doggy was quiet, because the guy wasn't walking past our door (where he didn't belong anyhow.)

Criminals seem too lazy to go camping... so I've found the campgrounds to be super safe. But I use common sense too. I never leave my rig unlocked. I often do leave the outside light on. I also have cheap white Christmas lights and spring clamps to string across the awning, these too can be left on all night.

I don't tow a car, but I do set up lots of patio stuff to enjoy the outdoors. I've never had any of it stolen. I've even left stuff scattered around to go grocery shopping and come back to everything still there (chairs, table, patio mat, lights etc.). Last Christmas friends gave me a bicycle, I did dash out and buy a lock for that. But mainly so that when I go somewhere, if I want to get off the bike and hike awhile, I can lock it to a tree or something. I do lock the bicycle up at my site, when I am not using it. I cover it with a jumbo table cloth to help protect it.

I am not sure what kind of rig you have, but if it's a motorhome, then it has a horn. If someone is threatening, just lay down on the horn nonstop. It will scare them off, it will wake up anybody else around too. I was workamping early in the season, all alone in a park, when we had a problem late one night, some drunk was doing donuts in the parking lot making a ruckus. Most parks are locked at night, you need a gate code, but this park I was working had a 24 hour boat ramp and no gate. I knew even if I called the rangers, it would take them precious time to get there, so I just pressed down on my horn nonstop it sounded like this huge alarm! The offender immediately left the park and I kept holding the horn down to make him think he had set off a terrible alarm. He lived near the park, but he was too afraid to ever come back again.

If some fool should knock on your door at night, do not open the shades, do not open the door, instead yell in your deepest voice as if you are terribly angry "WHO IS IT?" I had little kids do this late one night, I was about to open my window and give them a face full of pepper spray. It was 1am and their parents should not have allowed these little kids to be out roaming around sneaking around campers banging on doors and running.

I am not going to talk about gun ownership except, the laws vary widely from state to state, but they do make a mace gun with a light, that shoots about 30 feet and is legal everywhere.

See Mace Pepper Spray Gun
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E6X4OW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002E6X4OW&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

I take the attitude that if you are prepared, then nothing will happen. Take reasonable precautions to ensure your safety. Also be careful about strangers asking too many questions. You can tell white lies when needed.

Once in 4 years time... I was out walking the dog. A man I had not seen before came up to me and first thing he says is "Aren't you scared to be alone? Do you have a gun?" I just thought this was WEIRD and creepy. Who was this guy? How did he know I was alone? So I said "I'm loaded for bear, shoot first, ask questions later..." He suddenly had nothing else to add to the conversation and took off speed walking in a different direction. I still wonder WHAT that was all about.

Most parks have an emergency after hours number, some simply say on the brochure to call 911. It varies. But I feel pretty darn safe.

By day all my shades and curtains are open, because I crave sunshine and daylight. But after dark or before I retire, I make sure every square inch of window is covered with shade or curtain.
Rambling and roaming in my little old wheel estate

http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/
DearMissMermaid

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:25 am

mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 am

Thanks Mitch for pulling up all the old topics.

I'll say this - any of the silly things people do to "appear" to not be single just make them seen as single and silly by everyone in moments. I promise you that. And it gets talked about.

That said, the best way to be safe is to not stay anywhere you don't feel comfortable. I boondock a lot and will continue to do so - feel much safer doing so than many other places. However if YOU don't feel safe, you shouldn't.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 am

When traveling I will often stay overnite at a reststop with the truckers. I've only felt unsafe once and I was alone at the reststop for several hours until a car pulled in with four young men. Didn't like the way they were looking at me so I got in the driver's seat and pulled out. Its a matter of trusting your gut instincts - if you don't feel right move on.

There are those of us who lock every door and window at night when at home. Personally, I live in a safe mobile home park and rarely lock my doors and I like my windows wide open at night for the fresh air. I lock up when I leave in my rig.

Personally I prefer a rest stop with truckers rather than a busy Walmart lot but I have stayed in other shopping center lots where the stores close at 9pm. Another favorite of mine is a church parking lot if its not a Sunday.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby grammynmaggie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I am new to the RV world also...I have had to travel back
and forth to Pa and Fl the last few years...always not being able to stop
and enjoy the trips much at this time... I have over nighted
in WM parking lots...even stayed for 23 hrs this last trip because
of a problem with my leg...anyway most of the time I have felt
safe..because of the other RV's around...I think that any of the
the things I do to make it seem I am not alone and makes me feel
better is not silly ....but that's me...we all have our ways of making
ourselves safe and able to enjoy our travels...wait until you see my
mannequin that will travel with me when I am able to go full time...
you will think I am silly for sure... :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P
donna ;)
grammynmaggie

Postby WickedLady » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:09 pm

And if he isn't enough I have a semi-automatic close to hand.
WickedLady

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Sorry if I offended anyone with the "silly" comment - it's not how I meant it. But if it's something that everyone can quickly ascertain as someone trying to make things look different than they are - it actually makes you more of a target - as you appear weak. It doesn't make you appear stronger - which is really what you would want.

Again, do whatever you feel you need to do to feel safe, but do you do those things at a house you live in? You probably have more of a chance of having things happen there than on the road ... just sayin'.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby grammynmaggie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm just kidding about the mannequin.... As a safety prop
It is part of my art world.... Named after my mother...
And it's part of my artwork... It's a big thing with my art blog friends I hang out
We all have them and we name them....lol.... you have to be there to understand
its like one of those inside joke things.... anyway it's part of my art I want to take with me
no offense taken about being silly.... it's just the way I am :)
grammynmaggie

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:29 pm

I have no problem boondocking in areas. And though Walmart is not a camping destination...it sure is a nice stop over when I need to make quick tracks somewhere. It is worth it when I need it. Most of us develop our own travel styles over the years depending upon our personal budgets, where we are going and how much time we have to get there! :) It does sound as if you have found a comfort zone that works for you.....that is what matters.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:09 am

I like that mace gun!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:46 am

Ladies, there is a HUGE problem with mace - WIND. If you deploy it while windy you're as apt to get it in the face as your target. Same goes for any type of spray like Raid.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby monik7 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:20 pm

I have the Mace gun. Keep it next to my bed every night. No wind inside.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby chalet05 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Interesting thread. I probably shouldn't jinx myself but I have never felt threatened - if I wasn't comfortable with a place, I moved on. Things happen in campgrounds, too. I was in a very nice, quiet country one when a man who was suffering from depression after losing his job decided 'they' were after him. Tore up his trailer, went around knocking on doors at 3 a.m. (woke me but thought I was hearing things) and then got out a gun and started shooting at 'them'. 3 a.m. knocks were confirmed by the police the next morning; I thought gunshots were neighbor banging on his ceiling to shut birds up, but police put that assumption to rest.

Rest areas are my last choice - at least in some areas. Late hubby and I started out full timing and first night spent in a rest area. I wasn't totally comfortable and immediately spotted the 'lot lizards' lookin' for a good time with the truckers. Bleh.

'Stuff' can happen anywhere!! Just have to be smart and be aware. I've left a couple WalMarts in the last several months because I didn't like the set up.
Anita
chalet05

Postby daibraik » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:03 am

Thank you all for your thoughts, and thank you for the links to earlier discussions on the subject, Mitch. I've learned a lot!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Dawn
Dawn
2014 Thor ACE 29.2
2014 Chevrolet Sonic
Magellan (the GPS)
Currently in Arizona for the winter
daibraik

Next

Return to Boondocking