Boondocking Safety

Re: Boondocking Safety

Postby DearMissMermaid » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:25 am

Bethers wrote:Thanks Mitch for pulling up all the old topics.

I'll say this - any of the silly things people do to "appear" to not be single just make them seen as single and silly by everyone in moments. I promise you that. And it gets talked about.

That said, the best way to be safe is to not stay anywhere you don't feel comfortable. I boondock a lot and will continue to do so - feel much safer doing so than many other places. However if YOU don't feel safe, you shouldn't.

I don't think I am being silly by taking steps to be safe and feel secure. I want the odds in my favor.

I would rather be safe than sorry, there are a few times I was very sorry for not being safer.

If people want to poke fun at me or anyone for being silly by being safe, so be it.

I just want to be a happy camper and I take steps to feel safe, secure and happy.
Rambling and roaming in my little old wheel estate

http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/
DearMissMermaid

Postby CricketSail » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 am

Single woman here, I stayed at WM the first month full-timing since I was coming south in the winter and there was no place else! I've felt comfortable, but then I have my dogs. The only time I felt uncomfortable was actually at a campground, and the guy kept telling me to lock up my dogs and come over to his place. He really wanted to separate me from the dogs. Not.
I do lock up, keep alert. If anyone tried to get in, my dogs would go ballistic. - Sharon
CricketSail

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:34 am

Yet another good thing about travelling with dogs! I don't think The William would bite anyone, and with his arthritis he'd be in real trouble in a fight -- but other people don't know that, and I don't tell them. Most people find his noise intimidating. He has a Big Bark!
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Gentleladybear » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:47 am

It takes only a few minutes for someone watching you to ascertain that you are alone. They look for a man coming in and out of the rig. A man doing what a man normally does when camping. I have had more than one person say we don't see a man are you traveling alone? So all the shoes and such I don't think does much good.

Also, again ladies if you travel with a weapon do not discuss it on here. If you happen to have to shoot somone this discussion of weapons on here can be used against you.

As for mace, if a person is on pcp or other strong drugs, mace simply makes them mad and they will hurt you.

All this is to say, most fish will never get caught if they keep their mouth shut. To discuss privately what can be done for safety is one thing, to publize it on here is another. You must remember over the years we know there are many readers that are completely unknown to any of us. All safety issues must remain private for your safety.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Redetotry » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:55 am

First time I stayed at a Walmart parking lot someone banged on the side of my trailer. It took me awhile to wake up and when I did I was frozen, a feeling I hadn't had since I was a small child. By the time I was able to look out the window no one was around and the 24 hour security vehicle was making a swing around the parking lot so I just went back to bed. Figured it was kids or maybe I had a weird dream. Reading back through posts dearmissmermaid said "I must be the only American that doesn't even like their shopping." No, your aren't the only one by far, I too dislike Walmart and rarely have shopped there but I had driven too far that day and the nearest campground was in a really scary part of town so I did take advantage of their parking lot.
I think having a dog that barks is the safest thing to have with you, it doesn't need to be big, it just needs to let you know you need to take charge of the situation.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Deeann » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Have you ever tried to use a spray can of whatever and found it to be flat? I have. I wouldn't rely on any spray can to save my life although they are probably pretty reliable as long as the can is fresh and you have tested it ahead of time.

I love guns and I love to shoot. Handguns, shotguns, rifles. I love it all. And I know how to handle a gun.

I think the best advice is to watch your surroundings. The second best advice, IMHO, is to own a gun and know how to use it. But I know that isn't for everyone. Everyone has to decide what is best for them.
Deeann

Postby cmcdar » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:39 am

I realize that this is an "old" thread, but the topic is very relevant so I woke it up. ;)

In all fairness, staying in a Walmart parking lot to get some sleep and head out again in the morning, is not exactly "boondocking". If I am driving from New York to Arizona, I don't necessarily want to set up camp every night. I just want some rest. Walmart parking lots are cheap and convenient.

Walmart (some of them) allow overnight PARKING not camping.

If you just need a rest, there are plenty of places that let you park overnight. http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/12/rv_parking-2.php

When I got my camper, I welcomed the fact that I did not need to spend $80. for a night's sleep. PLUS hotels and motels were getting dirtier and dirtier.

On the safety issue, one item that we all have is our CAR ALARM systems! Utilize your panic buttons ladies. I have bear spray but I also have a boat air horn and my car keys (car alarm).
Somewhere there is a beach with my name on it.

cmcdar

Postby Cudedog » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:06 am

Good topic!

cmcdar wrote:
When I got my camper, I welcomed the fact that I did not need to spend $80. for a night's sleep. PLUS hotels and motels were getting dirtier and dirtier.

Amen to that!

This was one of the reasons (among many) that I decided to do a camper van build. It's just kind of gross thinking about all of the - probably hundreds of the Great Unwashed - that have stayed in that room and slept in that bed before you.

Ugh.

I am a lifelong non-smoker. I have never smoked even one cigaratte! Why? I was a severe asthmatic as a child - had more than one brush with the Grim Reaper while growing up - and promised myself that if I lived to adulthood (which seemed iffy at the time) that I would never smoke.

I never have.

It seems that no matter where you are or where you go, even the most "non-smoking" room reeks of cigarette stink once the air freshener wears off (if you smell air freshener in a non-smoking room, you are already in trouble). I absolute despise a poor nights sleep due to the stink, and waking up the next morning to find my clothes totally smelling of cigarettes is the absolute worst!

Add that to the fact that it is difficult to find a place that will accept dogs as you are doing the "motel crap shoot" when traveling without advance reservations. . . well, you get the picture!

Oh, and let us not forget the escalating price of motel over-nighting. Geez. You roll into a motel at 7:00 or 8:00 at night, gone by 6:00 the next morning and this can cost upwards of $60 a night at Motel Cheap?

Ugh.

Never again!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 am

I do boondock for months at a time in AZ on BLM land is it for everyone? no it's not but
I personally enjoy it ...and yes some of those years was with my husband but when the time
comes that you are alone live goes on ..... actually the first season after my husband's death
stayed in town...didn't enjoy it as much as the desert so back out to the desert I went...don't do
anything different than when there was two of us...do have the light on a way that does a motion
light...but other than that and keeping the door locked after I take the dog out for his last nature needs
oh that is one new thing hubby wasn't an indoor pet person....and Shadow for the most part sounds the alarm
sheila
snowball

Postby bertk523 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:22 pm

At a security meeting at work - years ago - they suggested spray paint instead of Mace. Spray paint is annoying enough to get someone away and then makes it very easy for the police to identify. it is very hard to get a good enough look at someone to identify them, but if they have paint matching your paint can - hey - it is much simpler. just a thought. This technique was used to identify a man exposing himself in elevators when only one female was in the elevator with him. it was a "he said/she said" debate until his privates were spray painted. Just an option - again - wind would be a problem.
bertk523

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Something I learned going through customs into Canada: If you want to carry mace or pepper spray, make sure the can is small and says "Bear Spray" on it. They will allow that into Canada, per the lady who confiscated my mace. When asked if I had any, I immediately admitted it, so did not get in trouble. Mine did not say "Bear Spray". Instead it had some fake-looking police shields on it and was clearly for use against humans.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Previous

Return to Boondocking