Might be an opening where I am.

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Might be an opening where I am.

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Quail Run had a no-show for housekeeping. It's 15 hours a week for your site (no extra hours - 3 5 hour days). Nice manager and nice workampers so far. Half-way between Phoenix and Tucson.

They haven't completely decided whether they'll look for a replacement, but I'm guessing if the right person called, they'd fill the position - would want someone who is available for the whole season (through mid-April) and could start asap.

There is also a possibility of someone as a host or in maintenance - same hours per week.

If anyone is interested, I'll put you in touch with the manager. If you have questions, pm me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Might be an opening where I am.

Postby Riafromnj » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Bethers, From your posts, it seems that you have been work camping for some time. I am entertaining the idea of buying an RV as my permanent residence and work camping. I am single and have two dogs. Is this a reasonable plan? Are the camping jobs easy to get? I have no experience as a camp host, but I have been a nurse for 20 years. Maybe some of my skills will transfer? I would love to hear your thoughts.
Riafromnj

Postby snowball » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Riafromnj wrote:Bethers, From your posts, it seems that you have been work camping for some time. I am entertaining the idea of buying an RV as my permanent residence and work camping. I am single and have two dogs. Is this a reasonable plan? Are the camping jobs easy to get? I have no experience as a camp host, but I have been a nurse for 20 years. Maybe some of my skills will transfer? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I'll put in my two cents worth here...my husband and I camped hosted for several years however when he passed away I didn't go back as the company really prefers couples ...although they occasionally do use singles...I chose to stay in my 5th wheel at one of my daughters...I totally enjoyed the camp hosting loved the area we were in and would give my eye tooth to go back to my campground...you will do great and it is totally a workable situation if your dogs let you be gone the hours you would need to be...only you will be able to decide that

however have you thought of being a traveling nurse??
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:08 pm

I've been workamping for, I think, 8 years now. I never have any problems getting positions as a single. That said, you could make more money as a travel nurse and even more if you use your own rv. Something you should think about. We have a member on the forum who does that, hopefully she'll chime in.

Any questions I might be able to help with, ask away.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Riafromnj » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:47 am

Thank you for the advice. Beth, I am considering travel nursing, but I would much rather workamp. Just in the research phase right now. Thank you for the encouragement!
Riafromnj

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 am

I am a Travel Nurse and enjoy taking one or two assignments a year to replenish my "slush fund". I just returned from spending the last 3 months in Santa Barbara area. GREAT weather. I am home now and took an assignment for late March up near Salem and Portland area. I am excited about it as several of our members live in that area (including my BFF Laura and my daughter and family),so we will have a few GTG's. I only work 3 nights a week so plenty of time for visiting.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Riafromnj » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 am

Bethers wrote:I've been workamping for, I think, 8 years now. I never have any problems getting positions as a single. That said, you could make more money as a travel nurse and even more if you use your own rv. Something you should think about. We have a member on the forum who does that, hopefully she'll chime in.

Any questions I might be able to help with, ask away.

So Beth, is it possible to workamp year-round and be able to maintain a simple lifestyle with no additional income? It would be just the extra salary offered with some workamp positions. I am keeping your suggestion in mnd, but I would much rather leave the nursing profession and live a simpler life. I am researching the cost of full-time RV workamping.
Thanks for putting up with my many questions! I appreciate your advice.
Riafromnj

Postby Bethers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am

That's pretty much what I do. Winter positions with income are a tad harder to find, but are out here. And you have to pay close attention to what places offer. These jobs aren't going to pay tons but some are way better than others in how they do it, for example pay for all hours worked and a site. Many, many folks are working falls for Amazon.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Riafromnj » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks Beth. I have been looking at one site for RV job postings coleen@work-for-rvers-and-campers.com . It seems that most jobs are for the site only. Is there a particular website that posts available jobs that include pay or is it by word-of-mouth? Thanks again for entertaining my questions!
Riafromnj

Postby Bethers » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm

I highly recommend spending the money for Workampers.com. You will find everything from site only to places that cover your site and pay for all hours worked to every kind of combination. Amazon pays for site and all hours worked, for example. But be prepared to work. I'm willing to contribute something towards the site, but it has to be reasonable.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Riafromnj » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:44 pm

Beth, I am signing up for workamper.com. Would you like me to use your name so you get credit for referring me?
Riafromnj

Postby Bethers » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Riafromnj wrote:Beth, I am signing up for workamper.com. Would you like me to use your name so you get credit for referring me?

That would be great. Thanks. Beth Burgess
Beth
Bethers

Postby Riafromnj » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:01 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:I am a Travel Nurse and enjoy taking one or two assignments a year to replenish my "slush fund". I just returned from spending the last 3 months in Santa Barbara area. GREAT weather. I am home now and took an assignment for late March up near Salem and Portland area. I am excited about it as several of our members live in that area (including my BFF Laura and my daughter and family),so we will have a few GTG's. I only work 3 nights a week so plenty of time for visiting.

karen

Karen, Thanks for the info. I traveled with TravCorp back in the late 90's and it was pretty good. I think they combined with Cross Country at some point. Do you have a good agency to recommend? I am just researching my options, looking at 5th wheels, calculating costs, etc. I just love this forum!
Riafromnj

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Riafromnj
I sent you a pm

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Return to Workamping