RV Based Small Business Questions

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Re: RV Based Small Business Questions

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:20 am

Bethers wrote:Why can't they charge for hair cuts, etc? That might just be the park they were at - will vary from park to park. One park I was at in TX - a lady did hair - she charged. No signs allowed at her site, but she was able to put a sign in the rec hall.

I believe it has to do with their license....as it has to be issued from the state they are camping in....to be able to charge...Am I right on this, Barbie??
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby longdog2 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 am

It might be because you have to have a license in the state you are in...just guessing. Guess we had two of us typing at once.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby sistert » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm

I got out of the computer business because #1 I was sick of it after 18 years and #2 I have never been interested in computers. It's a means to an end but not a passion.

Mom has several options because of her craftiness. Not only selling her artwork online and to other RVers but I hope she considers coming up with a class or two and teaching at retreats/expos.

For me, my beadwork is something I want to start putting online but FOOD is my passion. I am working on one idea at the moment but many other ideas are bubbling around in my brain. Some would have no problems in a campground/park, others would need to be "politely" done and others I just have no idea if it would be feasible to try. Outside of those ideas, workamping as a cook is an obvious option.

So may ideas, so little time! :lol:

TeAntae
sistert

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm not exactly sure about the hair cutting, but I think that is the reason. I know with my Opticianry, that is the case.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby KarenS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:09 pm

All this is great to know as I have just started a business. so I will take all the info and see how I can use it. thanks again. KarenS
Karen S, and fur babies- Precious and Little Girl
(big dog in photo is not mine he belongs to Nan in G'ville)
2007 Dodge 2500
Road Warrior 5er Toyhauler
and Micro Lite Flagstaff TT
KarenS

Postby bikerchic777 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 pm

KarenS...What is your new business, may I ask?
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby KarenS » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 pm

I am a Mary Kay Consultant, but I like the idea of the state park in Alaska, sounds awesome however I have to retire again first then will get to go be a full time camper. Once I can figure out how you girls all do it - I did put a question one general talk so hope to get some answers on my questions for full time rving. However not sure how long I will do the Mary Kay thing, we shall see
2007 Dodge 2500
KarenS

Postby Azusateach » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 am

JudyJB wrote:I was just reading an article about a teacher who made $1M by selling lesson plans to other teachers! Just shows the creativity and possibilities out there:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/02/14184513-georgia-teacher-rakes-in-1-million-by-selling-lesson-plans-to-teachers?lite

There's a website called "Teachers Pay Teachers" that has become wildly popular. It offers all sorts of teaching-related stuff.
Azusateach

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:43 pm

I used to be an Avon representative and loved it. I could probably make it work on the road, but haven't given it much thought. I have also sold Tupperware. I did like having my own business. Let me know how you do.

bikerchic777

Postby KarenS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Well I probably will not do to well as I just want to retire and play with my dogs and visit with new friends. And I am not good at the pressuring to get people to buy. but right now it is something to do. I have also started renting out an rv site at my house and renting rooms out in my house- I will probably move into my rv in my yard and rent out my room - and if I can rent all this out I can keep my house and let them make the payments and still have a place to come back to and a permanent address. we shall see how it all goes. I am doing things to get ready to retire haha. Karen
2007 Dodge 2500
KarenS

Postby bikerchic777 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Sounds like you have quite the plan, there! Hope it all works out for you ;)

bikerchic777

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 pm

OK, somehow I missed this thread when it started... Yes, the haircutting thing has to do with licensing. If you are licensed in that state to cut hair, you cannot charge $$ outside of a licensed hair salon. (not sure what they could do if you don't have a license??) But I would think that if you are cutting for "tips" only, that most people would pay you what they typically pay a stylist in a salon, if they are fair (I would think at least $10-$15). That would be something I would consider if I ever get on the road in an RV.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby bikerchic777 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Yes, Barbie. I have met a couple of women who do that. If you workamped in 55+ parks, you would probably do well.

bikerchic777

Postby bluepinecones » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Barbie, that license thing must vary by state. I have niece who is licensed in AL and does hair in peoples homes, hospital, rehab facilities, an assisted living facility and funeral home. She works mostly with elderly and caregivers but also younger people who are sick, recovering from surgery etc. Basically she services people who for one reason or another cannot go to a beauty shop.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Yes, each state is different. I believe there is a special license or requirements by the state in order to work in nursing homes, etc. if you don't work in a licensed salon. To work out of your home (legally) you have to have required space and restroom facilities that are separate from your living quarters and approved by the state before setting up shop. (Or you can do it without the state knowing as long as you don't get caught...ie, you accidently cut someone's ear off and they sue you, etc)
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

PreviousNext

Return to Workamping