RV Based Small Business Questions

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

RV Based Small Business Questions

Postby sistert » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Does anyone here (or know anyone who) have a small RV based business? The same as a brick & motor home based business but operated out of your RV? Not telecommuting.

I've heard of people who have mobile RV repair shops, massage therapy services, computer and online services, RV detailing, etc... I've read about people who sell their arts & crafts online and/or at shows.

What I'm curious about is does anyone know what campground issues or rules exist? Does management even mind? I guess this mostly applies to services and selling within the RV campground/park.

Thanks!
TeAntae
sistert

Re: RV Based Small Business Questions

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Beth (Bethers) has an online business, so she care tell you about that kind.....I do know folks who travel from Flea Market to Flea Market in FL selling stuff....and have seen a few RV repair guys who use magnetic signs on the side of their vehicles advertizing....but don't know about campgrounds and their rules about selling in the campground itself....Guess you would have to ask management.....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 pm

I'll be back with a more detailed answer later. You're talking several different things here. Lots to cover and typing on my phone isn't how I want to do it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:40 am

Most of the campgrounds I workamped in did not allow you to run a business on their property. I'm sure there would be insurance problems with people coming and going on their property to your rig. Beth can tell you about running an online business.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

There are as many answers to your questions as there are rv parks/campgrounds - as each is individually owned and has their own set of rules (some of which are not written anywhere).

As to solely an internet business - there are lots and lots who have them and travel and no one is the wiser. It's not like running a business with people coming and going, or trying to sell to the others in the park. So that's very doable and no problems anywhere. I know one woman who works full-time for a webhost - is customer service for them - all done on her computer.

Now, when you talk of things like mobile repair, or even crafts - those can work a couple ways. Most mobile repair services have a home-base and travel to the customers. On occasion one will live in an rv in a park - and is then usually the preferred repair person the park recommends. But, believe me, they have to approve the person running the business from within the park. Then there is the "mobile repair" which isn't really - only does repairs in THAT park. They have a deal and the park won't allow anyone else in to work on rigs (even if that person doesn't know how to fix whatever it is). And we've seen this happen to a forum member who called a service and they weren't allowed in. In that case, the owner was the service person and was keeping all that business to himself. Personally, I would have pulled out and gone to the service person, even if just on the street outside the park - especially when it turned out the owner had not a clue about what needed to be fixed.

Then there are crafts - now if you are selling at shows and staying at parks - no problem. Some parks might let you display your things and sell them. But never, ever attempt to do so without permission. You might be out on your arse. Some parks have their own craft shows occasionally - usually no fee to sell things, but often that's the only time you can display.

In other words, it's all up to where you are staying and what they want to allow. A park might have an unwritten rule about no business/no selling, but if approached correctly, might decide it's to their benefit to do it.

RV detailing - or just washing - some parks will allow that, others don't want it in their park, especially if using their water. If they bring in their own, more likely to accept it. I had someone wash and wax my rig several times when in TX - have had it done in OR and PA. It's nice when the park allows it. Some parks that don't allow you to wash your own rig, will allow it by a service. They might have to approve who comes in.

Remember, it's their property and they can pretty much do what they want - which is why there are so many different answers to the questions. Basically it's about respecting the owners and their property and not trying to pull the wool over their eyes. The old adage you get way more with sugar is true in these cases.

Oh, and there are "unspoken" businesses. I was at a park and had a minor problem I couldn't fix - didn't want to go to an rv repair shop for it but was thinking I'd have to. Was talking to the owner and he all of a sudden said - oh, I bet "so-and-so" could take care of that - probably for a can of beer - or just a few dollars. He's a handyman and lots of people use him for those kinds of things. Well, turns out his wife was from an area near where I had lived and he fixed what I needed fixed and we had dinner together - and just a dang good time. He does get jobs throughout the park - but on a low key basis.

Then, if you want to stay in a park seasonally - and you want to run a business there - and they have advertisements in their directory - you talk to them about putting in an ad, if this is something they would allow. Again, it's all in the presentation. I workamped at a park in PA 2 different years. They recommended one mobile rv service the first time. When I went back a couple years later, they had a different one at the top of the list. Why? Both advertised, but the 2nd one took a seasonal spot at their cg. He became their go-to person for mobile repairs.

So, no set rules on most any of it - and do not think the bigger resorts will be less likely than the smaller cg's. But I do believe the corporate owned cg's would be less likely than privately owned - but no set rule there either.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby sistert » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks Beth!

It's pretty much what I thought but getting the information from someone in the know is so much better than guessing. Just one more element in the whole RV lifestyle to think about.

This thought started while at the Hershey RV show when a vendor mentioned that he got his rig detailed while staying at campgrounds. Then just recently mom and I saw a note on the webpage of a little RV park out West that they would put campers in touch with the organizer of the local farmer's market it you wanted to sell stuff you made.

More to think about.

TeAntae
sistert

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 pm

There are a lot of online businesses where you do not have to go to anyone's location or have anyone come to yours. That would simplify things in terms of needing to get permission from an RV park.

For example, depending on your skills, you could do what a friend of mine does out of her home in the evenings--design and maintain web sites for several small businesses and organizations. Everything is done online with no in-person contact.

I used to know a person who had a website where she sold another person's crafts online. This person went to craft shows and sold her goods, but my friend just managed the website where she also sold items which were personalized. This friend took the orders and passed them onto the crafts-maker, who made them to order and shipped them out. Many years ago, I also knew a person who had a letter-writing business!

I have thought of selling myself as an online editor. And of course, I do teach online. Think about what skills you have and how you could sell them virtually.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:16 pm

JudyJB wrote:There are a lot of online businesses where you do not have to go to anyone's location or have anyone come to yours. That would simplify things in terms of needing to get permission from an RV park.

For example, depending on your skills, you could do what a friend of mine does out of her home in the evenings--design and maintain web sites for several small businesses and organizations. Everything is done online with no in-person contact.

I used to know a person who had a website where she sold another person's crafts online. This person went to craft shows and sold her goods, but my friend just managed the website where she also sold items which were personalized. This friend took the orders and passed them onto the crafts-maker, who made them to order and shipped them out. Many years ago, I also knew a person who had a letter-writing business!

I have thought of selling myself as an online editor. And of course, I do teach online. Think about what skills you have and how you could sell them virtually.

Judy, that's what I said above - and what I do - as I have several online businesses - not all doing the same thing. But as long as it's all virtual, I can work where ever I have an internet connection - without anyone the wiser.
Beth
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:44 pm

I was just reading an article about a teacher who made $1M by selling lesson plans to other teachers! Just shows the creativity and possibilities out there:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/02/14184513-georgia-teacher-rakes-in-1-million-by-selling-lesson-plans-to-teachers?lite
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby bikerchic777 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Sure wish I was smart enough to think of a successful internet business. I would love it! This constant job hunting is stressful :|
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Redetotry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 pm

I've wonder about if I could do Hypnosis & Reiki while traveling. I think just a small sign on the outside with my phone number. No one would be coming in and out of the park so no traffic involved. Also some places might actually want a workshop offering a group stop smoking or weight loss.
Another idea has been vitural lap band surgery. It is becoming quite popular and seems effective. One woman charges $1200.00 and has written a book but I couldn't find her web site. Of course Dr Oz has discussed it.

http://www.prlog.org/11794849-dr-oz-dis ... kenna.html

http://www.hypnosiszone.net/virtual-gas ... --vgb.html
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:07 pm

The mind is a powerful thing....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby bikerchic777 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I have met a couple of women who do massage in their RV. They just go by word of mouth. Also, some who cut hair. They can't charge, but work for tips only.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby bikerchic777 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 pm

I have adjusted and repaired eyeglasses. Got a great tip once and a bag of grapefruit 8-) Thought about setting up a table for adjustments at park meetings, with a tip jar. Bet I could do pretty good.

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:43 pm

Why can't they charge for hair cuts, etc? That might just be the park they were at - will vary from park to park. One park I was at in TX - a lady did hair - she charged. No signs allowed at her site, but she was able to put a sign in the rec hall.
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Workamping