Our Workamper Offers

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Our Workamper Offers

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Well, after days of emails and negotiations, we have accepted TWO workamper positions! Our first will begin Nov. 15 at a park in Brownsville TX. I will work the store/office and Tommy outside and maintenance. We will work 2 days for our FHU site. It will be nice to get the experience under our belts. Looks like we will have a warm winter, and we're glad the hurricanes are gone! The park has lots of planned activities and fun things to do.

Our summer adventure starts April 15 in a small rural Michigan KOA. That is 20 hours combined for site plus wages after that. Emmett has lots of kids and family oriented activities. My job there will be store/reservations as well as housekeeping one day a week and assisting with children's activities. Tommy willl work grounds and maintenance there as well. I have grandkids and lots of other family in Michigan so I can visit with them on days off!

Now the race is on. We need to get our trusted friend on board as caretaker of our home while we're gone. We are rounding up all our tax info and dog's records, and making lists like crazy. There's so much to do and in so little time. We think we'll just head to Brownsville from the GTG in Kerrville instead of making the 7 1/2 hour drive back home just to turn around and take off again. We were lucky to find the winter position...applying so late...but this park needed someone right away. We emailed them unsolicited by searching their website and getting their address, and just out of the blue they emailed right back. I think this was meant to be! :D
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Re: Our Workamper Offers

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Congrats Jill and Tommy on getting the whole year lined up :) Hope you enjoy workamping as much as I do. And we'll have to get together a few more times over the winter - not going to be more than a few hours apart, and I will be coming down to Mexico occasionally.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Echo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Holy cow Jill, when you two get going? You two get going!!!

How awesome, I am so glad and excited for the both of ya. Ya'll have got to be over the moon about this.

How the heck did you ever come to contact them? Was it an ad? Workamper news? Or did someone tell you about them. And not just the one job but two of them lined up! Wow.

Congrats to the both of ya.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Thanks, gals. Yeah, we're pretty excited. The Michigan summer job was posted on the KOA site where we have a resume. We emailed them and said to have a look at us and they were impressed. We began a barrage of emails asking all the questions our forum sisters here recommended, and even where our site would be and the policy for time off (my son is getting married in WV in August). They asked us a few questions, we asked them a few more, and voila...they said they'd like us to be a part of their team! The contract is on it's way.

The Brownsville job was kind of a fluke. We have a resume on Workamper.com also and they have a link that lets you email your resume to anyone. We picked out the southern TX area to begin our search (want to be warm in winter, dontcha know), and found a website that listed all the campgrounds in that region. From there, we visited each park's website, found those that appealed to us, and started sending them emails. We said, "here's our resume, we just might be the right "fit" for your team". Right away we started getting responses that said many parks already have their winter staff in place, but lots said they'd keep us on file. Then this email came in from Brownsville that said they suddenly had an opening and they wanted to talk to us some more. We fell into it. The manager wrote today to tell us our new address and site number and how to have our mail transferred. It was really nice of her to do that, it was something we hadn't thought about.

All this and a chance to GTG with Beth and Lori and Ernie more too! And Sparkle. Wow, how cool is that?
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Echo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:57 pm

Sounds pretty dang kool and super awesome to me!! WoooHooo
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 am

Jill, you might consider getting a mail box. I use a local UPS store that will forward my mail to me whenever I ask them to. That way I don't have to keep changing my address. When I'm in town I pick up my mail about once a week. When I leave town I leave some money for the cost of forwarding. Congrats on your jobs.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Sunseeker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks, Karen. We are in the process of setting something up right now. Jenny and Dan use Escapees, but Tommy thinks we can do it a little cheaper thru Good Sams. We didn't know about the UPS store doing that, thanks for the heads up. We'll certainly look into all these options and figure out what's best for us.

For now we will have our caretaker forward things. We will pay her a little each month to keep an eye on things here for us and she is having hard times right now so the extra money is welcome.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:48 am

Jill, I've been using a friend for over 3 years now. He calls himself my "personal secretary" lol - but if I didn't have my business, he'd probably not have mailed me more than 3 or 4 times in 3 years - as I've managed to get almost everything I do to be online and discontinued as much mail as possible. So, if that caretaker is willing to do it and you can trust the person - you might just want to keep it like that for now.

I'm sure I'll eventually have to use some sort of service - or maybe now - with more and more being able to be done online.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sunseeker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, we do online billpay too, and can access MOST of our accounts online for the fluctuating stuff...so luckily lots of the paper mail is just "fluff" or hardcopy receipts for tax time. I don't anticipate this being much of a big deal, and (friend) caretaker can always overnite , or open and read it to us, if something is crucial.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Getupngo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Wow Jill! You and Tommy are going to have such a great adventure. It's such a good idea to have everything all set up. Both sound like good places to land.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:46 am

Good for you two,... i guess you are now settled into the Brownsville campground. I don't usually read all the threads but am enjoying some free time here at school and just started browsing. Sounds like you have things under control,. now,... how about some pics of your campground and your site,... :D
Cedar518

Postby Redetotry » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:10 am

I'm so glad for you and Tommy, sounds like you have found good spots. The peace of mind of knowing where you will be is an added bonus no doubt.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby SeeyaGal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey Jill & Tommy, looks like you are full-time for sure now! Which campground are you going to be working at in Brownsville?
Guess that means you are not heading our way :( :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Seeyagal
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... G_0053.jpg
SeeyaGal

Location: Full-Timers since Aug 2001, on the road, Summer in Washington, Winters Yuma AZ

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi ladies. We're at Breeze Lake campground here in Brownsville. We just finished working our first (2) days to pay for site..now we get the rest of the week to play. The work isn't hard, Tommy doing maintenance, me in the office, but I need to get used to being on my feet all day again. My manager is training me and she has lots of patience and praises me when I catch on to something. I really like it here. They gave us a week to set up, get our bearings and drive around to get the lay of the land. They recommend going on the mexico tours and doing the touristy things, as well as trying as many restaurants as possible, just to share experience when the guests have questions. That part of the job will certainly be lots of fun.

We're making lots of new friends and trying to remember people's names. The weather here is wonderful and the entire campground is full of tropical plants and birds. So far, we think we made a great decision to come here. Sorry we couldn't get to AZ this year Jenny. We applied at a couple of places out there but never got a response. My Sis is sad we didn't go out there too. I sure would like to see you and Dan again. What a blast!

As more of the winter Texans return our activities schedule will pick up and there will be something for everyone to do. I'll keep you posted. Check out the website @ www.breezelakervcampground.com
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm so glad to see your post, Jill - I was just about to post or email you and ask how it was going. It's great that you like the place and people - that's 90% of it - in my opinion :)

Can't wait to get together with you again.
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Workamping