Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Re: Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:53 am

They got that from the WSJ story. And focuses on NV. We were also on the NBC nightly news - and that had my rig in the story :) As usual, the NBC story doesn't understand workamping - but was better than last year. I enjoyed reading the WSJ story a tad more.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Birdie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:06 am

So are you a rich and free woman now? Well, okay, change that to richer than your were 3 months ago? Where are you headed after you and Peaches get rested?

Will see you in March maybe before.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Oh, Nancy - all the money here was spent (or is being spent) before I leave - hahaha - what with the new tires and brakes, etc. But they are paid for :) I'm here 3 more shifts and will head to AL for New Years and then to TX - will be at my g/f's near Port Aransas until the gtg in March. So if you are in the area - can definitely gtg sooner.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Beth...I haven't checked in for awhile, so just saw your posts. Cathy didn't mention meeting anyone from the forum. Did you ever find her? She found a workamping job at an RV park in FL for the remainder of the winter. She plans to work at Amazon next fall and has reservations at that same cg. Did you ever have to evacuate? I had to do that at Saylorvile Lake summer before last when I was workamping there. They gave notice to those of us below the dam and we had to move to higher ground. They let us stay in a nice USACE cg. I'm still planning to workamp at Amazon next fall, but haven't heard from the HR lady, Jenifer, yet. I have been seeing the news segments on it and didn't realize I was probably seeing your rig....cool! They said that Amazon plans to open a number of new warehouses, so I'm hoping more of them use workampers so we have more destination choices. I hope to go to FL after Amazon for the rest of the winter, so will be looking for a workamping job down there, if anyone hears of any ;)
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:31 am

Linda, I never found your friend. If she was working day shift, that would be why. I could find just about anyone on nights. And if she was at the cg you thought, I asked a couple people staying there and they didn't know a Cathy. But again, they were on night shift. I knew most of the people at least by sight at the state park. No, we didn't have to relocate even to different sites at the park - just finished posting some pictures of that on my blog - so far behind I am.

They are still finishing up with workampers now - and probably won't respond to people about next year until later this month. Make sure you give them Cathy's name as a referral if she'll be going back. Let her get a referral bonus on you.

Don't expect new locations to use workampers. Only 3 of their 40+ locations now use them. You never know, but they are committed to keeping jobs in the community whenever possible. The 3 locations that use workampers are where the community can't give them enough help during the season. And you'll be working in a great community - Campbellsville really likes having us now that they realize we bring in money for them. As for me - don't know if I'll work for them again or not, but if I do this year, it'll be in Nevada. Don't intend to come back east for a couple years - or longer, who knows.
Beth
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 am

I was going to work at the one in NV this past season, but decided I didn't want to be in the cold and snow. I think it was a good call, as I think it was pretty cold and a lot of snow this year. Too bad you won't be returning to KY. Hope I get to meet you somewhere out there. I will definitely give Jenifer Cathy's name for a referral bonus. She will appreciate that. Glad you never got flooded out!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 am

We had a mild year - lots of rain - in KY this season. Last year? Different story - snow, and very, very cold. Wouldn't have stayed the extra days, as I would have been stuck somehwere north of where I wanted to be for even extra time :) Gotta love mother nature.
Beth
Bethers

Previous

Return to Workamping