Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Re: Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Postby HorizonSeeker » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:09 am

Spent yesterday on the road in my car. Gus and I started out at a trailhead up the road but there were several mountain bikers on the trail so it wasn't suitable. Then I decided we have 3 months to explore the close to home trails and while the weather is good we will branch out, so I drove us to Anchorage, KY to the EP Sawyer Park. I had been there once before and it's only about 70 miles north. Took the blue highways of course so it took longer but the ride was nice. Got to the park and found it was filled to capacity with high school cross country track meet. You would think someone as tech savy as myself would check the park sked on line before driving up there. Oh well, as long as I was up north I went another 20 miles to the Falls of the Ohio COE center. This place is awesome. Has lots of Lewis & Clark history which is a subject I love. Clark's home is nearby but the real attraction is the fossil beds and all the archeological history of the place. We walked the woodland loop trail, about 2 miles, but that was all we had time for. I definitely plan to return. Went inside to use the facilities and gather some info. My 9 year old grandson is really into geology so I will try to bring him up here.

Got back to my site around 4 and my neighbors were grilling. They invited me over for dinner with them. So nice. It turned out to be quite the party. They worked here last year and just returned a week ago. They also had 2 other couples over who are returnng workers from last year as well as Sandy, the girl who moved over here from the stables, and Lana who is on the other side of me and is even more of a newbie at this than me. We both start work tomorrow. But last night's dinner was just wonderful. Good food and lots of good folks with lots of good info. One couple worked in Cody, WY last summer. Ooooh, I have to talk to them more. So far, this is turning into a really fun, welcoming place. I just hope I can hold up for the work. Hurry on down here, Beth!
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby JoanE » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:48 am

I'm in Maine for a couple of weeks and then will make my way to Campbellsville. Probably arrive around November 1st but do not start work until November 6th.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Nasoosie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:21 am

This seasonal Amazon work-thing is sounding like fun! What is the pay like, if I might ask? Does Amazon pay any of your camping fees? Or do you pay that and then just paid by the hour? And how much per hour? Something to think about if I could put away some money for a change. Does FL hire any Amazon campers?
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Nasoosie wrote:This seasonal Amazon work-thing is sounding like fun! What is the pay like, if I might ask? Does Amazon pay any of your camping fees? Or do you pay that and then just paid by the hour? And how much per hour? Something to think about if I could put away some money for a change. Does FL hire any Amazon campers?

Soos, Amazon has lots of locations, but only 3 that use "workampers". These 3, they pay the entire campground fee and your hourly pay. In the case of KY you see about 10 - 10.50/hr. You will work overtime - last year for 5 or 6 of the weeks I worked 55 hours/week. You are on your feet the entire time except during your breaks - and often you walk the length of the considerable warehouse to get to the breakroom.

They hire seasonal workers at all their other locations - do now know if there are any in FL. And I wouldn't know anything about the pay, etc for that.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby HorizonSeeker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:24 am

Had my first 3 day weekend off and took off to Nashville right after work ended on Thursday morning so I could take care of some business issues. This may have not been a good idea, but I did get some things handled that I thought I had fixed but flared up. Saw some family and friends so that was good. Got another haircut from the girl who does a good cut so that was good. Got stuck in Friday afternoon Nashville traffic and that was not good. Reminded me of why I left Nashville. In fact, it put me in such a bad mood I decided to thank the Goddess for her hospitality and head on back to my little camper in KY. Good to be home and this is what feels like home now.

Back to work last night but it was a slow night so I took the VTO (voluntary time off) that was offered and came home after half a shift. Took Gus out for a stroll in the now nearly empty park. This weekend it was packed full with campers who come here every year for Halloween in the park. What a neat idea for the kids: hayrides, safe place for the kids to trick or treat, glow in the dark golf on the mini golf and I'm sure lots of scary stories around the campfires. But by late Sunday night this place, if you'll pardon my pun, was a ghost town. So I was really surprised to meet up with another late night dog walker who turned out to be JoanE and Maggie. In fact, she's just 2 sites over from me. And Beth is due here the end of next week so the gang is gathering.

Last week was my first full week of 4 nights in a row 10 hour nights. The first night was hard but after that I just got used to it. Once you get past the dinner break at 12:30am, the rest is a breeze. I just hope I get into condition for the overtime weeks.

It's a beautiful morning and the lake is calm. May find time to get the yak out before work. We'll see.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby JoanE » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:20 am

As Vicky mentioned, we met on a late night dog walking excursion. Other Amazonians that I have met are Lana, Sandy, Robin, Casey, a couple whose names I didn't get yet. I have not started work yet so did some organization in my rig. I eat a lot of fresh produce, so I decided to clean and prep all my produce for easier meal preparation. Made a tofu/kale lasagna last night that is so delicious I had to have two servings. Corn muffins with pecans for breakfast...loving this convection oven.

First experience with a honey wagon this morning however either I have too much crud or blocked sensors. Need to go to Walmart or a camping supply store for enzyme tablets. Also need some books. One of the campers said the local library will give me a card while I am staying here.

One of the campground workers said they will be cutting down the trees due to ash borer infestation. What a shame.

Watched the long line at the dump station yesterday morning as about 100 campers departed for home. The early birds and the late day departers were smartest about avoiding a long wait in line. Note to self...
JoanE

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Glad to read that several of you are getting settled into your sites/work routines and that Beth will be there shortly.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Forestgal » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:09 pm

JoanE wrote:First experience with a honey wagon this morning however either I have too much crud or blocked sensors. Need to go to Walmart or a camping supply store for enzyme tablets. Also need some books. One of the campers said the local library will give me a card while I am staying here...

Joan, the black tank sensors are notorious for being inaccurate. While enzymes might help, I think you'll eventually find that you can be your own sensor and will know how long you can go before you need to dump. Since you'll be stationary for quite a while trying to put some liquid down the black tank might help. I often will dump my dish water down the toilet just to give it some more liquid and maybe provide a little soapiness/slickness to the sides of the tank. Sure can't hurt it.

I don't know how your rig's outfitted, but I'd think the biggest concern I'd have is the possibility of pipes and your water hose freezing when the weather turns cold.

Laura
Forestgal

Postby JoanE » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Forestgal wrote:
JoanE wrote:First experience with a honey wagon this morning however either I have too much crud or blocked sensors. Need to go to Walmart or a camping supply store for enzyme tablets. Also need some books. One of the campers said the local library will give me a card while I am staying here...

I often will dump my dish water down the toilet just to give it some more liquid and maybe provide a little soapiness/slickness to the sides of the tank. Sure can't hurt it.

I don't know how your rig's outfitted, but I'd think the biggest concern I'd have is the possibility of pipes and your water hose freezing when the weather turns cold.

Laura

Laura, I agree with you. I recently started dumping soapy dish water in toilet. I have a very good (ahem) "digestive system" since I eat a lot of fresh produce and fiber. Said another way, I am full of *@^!. So I think the ratio of solid to water has been imbalanced. I bought the enzyme tablets and it suggested more water too. Hope everything comes out alright. Too many puns.
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Joan, we'll talk more about dumping when I get there, too. But one thing I do - every now and then, after you dump and are about to get on the road, put a bag of ice in the black tank. Drive to your next location and dump - the sensors will be clean. It takes next to nothing to block them, as said. See you on Friday!

Sounds like we'll all be on nights, but not all on the same shift - as I said I'd only do the split shift - not 4 in a row. I'll fight to keep it this way, too :) But bet you enjoyed your 3 days off - even if you didn't enjoy the Nashville traffic.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby ali1257 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks Ladies for keeping this post going. Hubby and I are seriously thinking of doing this in 2012 or 2013, depending if we stay here at the Lone Star Corral for another season.
Ali (married to Ron)
Blaine, WA
http://www.ali1257.blogspot.com
ali1257

Postby JoanE » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Well, I decided not to pursue the Amazon job. Not one person that I spoke to at the campground had anything good to say about it and most hated the job. If they didn't need the job, I think they would have made other choices. Since I was only doing this as part of my fulltiming adventure, I decided I could have more fun doing something else. So I headed south, drove into Nashville, got a great ticket to the Grand Ole Opry and then toured Nashville the next day. Much more fun than working a ten hour day of grueling work. I think the other ladies sticking it out with Amazon are very courageous.
JoanE

Postby ali1257 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 pm

JoanE be safe as you travel. If you make it to South Texas give a shout out.
Ali (married to Ron)
Blaine, WA
ali1257

Postby JoanE » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:31 pm

I will be coming to TX in March 2012. Hope to meet you then, Ali.
JoanE

Postby ali1257 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 pm

We will be here. Would be fun to meet you.
Ali (married to Ron)
Blaine, WA
ali1257

PreviousNext

Return to Workamping