Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Postby ali1257 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:12 pm

I know Bethers has worked for Amazon before and am wondering if others have and what y'all thought of it? Ron and I are thinking that would be a good 3 month job when we are done here at the campground in Texas. I don't know if I could pull the long hours so am thinking I would see about part-time work while Ron works full time. We are also thinking of the one in Fernley, NV as that would put us closer to WA/OR where are kids are at.
Ali (married to Ron)
Blaine, WA
http://www.ali1257.blogspot.com
ali1257

Re: Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Postby HorizonSeeker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:53 am

Ali, I am giving it a try this season. I will be working in Campbellsville KY beginning in October. Like you I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand the long hours but I hope to prove myself a valuable asset to the company and put some money in my bank account. We will see. Good luck on the NV site.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:01 am

Ali, Campbellsville use a small # of part-timers last year. The part time hours do NOT necessarily mesh with the fulltime hours. So one couple, one on part-time, the other on full-time had to find someone for one to ride with and I don't think they had any of the same days off, they were trying to work on that when I talked to them last. For the couple months, they worked it out. You'll find people who absolutely HATE it and say they'd never do it again, to others, like me, who don't really like it, but the money and what it afforded me for the rest of the winter were more than worth it. Then you have those who said they would never, ever do it again like my friend Molly - who, guess what? Is coming back and doing it again this winter. To be honest, I'm not sure I would have wanted to go if she hadn't. We kept each other's spirits up on the days when we ached and just wanted to climb back into bed.

I'll be totally honest with you - I earned a very big respect for those who do this full-time. Yes, I realize most of the year they arent' putting in 55 hour weeks like I was, but still, it's work. I do belive I would have been able to get used to 4 10 hour days - it was the 5 11 hour days that I wasn't used to. And I could have worked 5 more hours (maximum 60) but just couldn't force that. This winter, I'm not sure I'll do 11 hour days. I might do 5 10's. We will see. In some departments you don't have a choice on overtime - it's mandatory.

And all the locations don't do things exactly the same. Nevada could have differences.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Birdie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Thought I remembered someone who had worked at the Kansas Amazon site. Perhaps I misremembered.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Redetotry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Birdie wrote:Thought I remembered someone who had worked at the Kansas Amazon site. Perhaps I misremembered.

I think that was Oregontocal Birdie.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Redetotry wrote:
Birdie wrote:Thought I remembered someone who had worked at the Kansas Amazon site. Perhaps I misremembered.

I think that was Oregontocal Birdie.

Yes, it was and she's not on here any more, but I'm still in contact with her. She worked there part of 2 years - didn't finish out either season. I have no desire to work at their KS facitlity - it's way far from any shopping or anything. Working those long days and hours - don't want my day off to have to drive an hour to go grocery shopping. But that's just me. I also elected in KY to stay at the most scenic (for me) location that doesn't have full hookups - because I want to enjoy that on my days off - not be in a site crammed in with everyone else like most of the other cg's.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JoanE » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:30 am

I'm giving Amazon a try this fall working November & December. After spending my life working in offices, my children are wondering why I chose manual labor in my 60's. [img][/img] I know a lot of people in the Lexington KY area, so that was a plus for Campbellville and also that Beth is there, who I will meet in September at GTG. Sounds like I may be meeting other members in KY too.
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby WickedLady » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Amazon is now in Seattle
WickedLady

Postby ali1257 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Spent too many wet and rainy winters in Washington...if we decide to go for it it will definitely be for somewhere besides Seattle :D
Ali (married to Ron)
Blaine, WA
ali1257

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 pm

WickedLady wrote:Amazon is now in Seattle

They are in about 30 cities, but right now only use workampers in 3. And do not intend to start using them in most of the others. Although who knows, that could change.
Beth
Bethers

Postby HorizonSeeker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:44 am

Well, I've finally made it. I'm parked in site 42 at Green River lake State Park about 8 miles from my job at Amazon. Got in late yesterday evening so I just backed in and hooked up water & electric. It was getting dark and Gus and I both were getting hungry and tired. I know from experience that those are bad times for trying to get level and set up, so that will be this morning's job. My neighbor in site 43 also starts at Amazonn on Monday. She is from Maine. Will have to tell her about the forum. Beth was right about the park, it is the most scenic place to stay here. And I chose to work nights to give me daylight hours for walking Gus plus being here means there are lots of places for walking. The other places around just aren't as outdoorsy as I like. Looking forward to meeting up with other forum members coming here. Oh, but I will be moving to site 70 in November. That was the site I was originally scheduled for then Amazon gave me an earlier start date so the park had to find me a different spot. Not too bad though, to only have to move once, and who knows, things could change before then and I might just stay right here the whole time.
HorizonSeeker

Postby ali1257 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:00 am

So glad you made it safely. Am looking forward to hearing about your work and time in Kentucky.
Ali (married to Ron)
Blaine, WA
ali1257

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:06 pm

HorizonSeeker wrote:Well, I've finally made it. I'm parked in site 42 at Green River lake State Park about 8 miles from my job at Amazon. Got in late yesterday evening so I just backed in and hooked up water & electric. It was getting dark and Gus and I both were getting hungry and tired. I know from experience that those are bad times for trying to get level and set up, so that will be this morning's job. My neighbor in site 43 also starts at Amazonn on Monday. She is from Maine. Will have to tell her about the forum. Beth was right about the park, it is the most scenic place to stay here. And I chose to work nights to give me daylight hours for walking Gus plus being here means there are lots of places for walking. The other places around just aren't as outdoorsy as I like. Looking forward to meeting up with other forum members coming here. Oh, but I will be moving to site 70 in November. That was the site I was originally scheduled for then Amazon gave me an earlier start date so the park had to find me a different spot. Not too bad though, to only have to move once, and who knows, things could change before then and I might just stay right here the whole time.

Molly and I will be there the end of the month and a week later Joan will arrive. We'll have quite a group. All of us on night shift, so on days we work together, can take turns driving. Molly and I shared that last year - was nice to only drive every other week.

See you soon.
Beth
Bethers

Postby HorizonSeeker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Beth,

Have already met 4 other workers and one of them, Sandy, is already working nights and looking for a ride. She was living at the stables but hated it there. She loves it here but only has a scooter so she and I are talking ride sharing. Was really hoping to kayak today but water is so choppy and it's only 62 out so will have to wait.
HorizonSeeker

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:49 pm

work and a community of support.....sounds good to me!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Next

Return to Workamping