Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Re: Working for Amazon - in the Fall

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:55 pm

JoanE wrote:Well, I decided not to pursue the Amazon job. Not one person that I spoke to at the campground had anything good to say about it and most hated the job. If they didn't need the job, I think they would have made other choices. Since I was only doing this as part of my fulltiming adventure, I decided I could have more fun doing something else. So I headed south, drove into Nashville, got a great ticket to the Grand Ole Opry and then toured Nashville the next day. Much more fun than working a ten hour day of grueling work. I think the other ladies sticking it out with Amazon are very courageous.

Joan, I think that's exagerated, as none of those same people are saying they "hate" it to me. And for no one is it yet grueling. But, yes, it can become so. That said, so far I'm having fun. Ask me after we get into overtime. Then I'll be griping with the best of them. But my new roof will be paid for (the one I intend to get in TX). I'm with good people and enjoying myself.

Sorry you left so quickly. Thought you were leaving the next day - you didn't come get your cheese! But if you aren't interested in the money, I certainly wouldn't come work here a season for part of the "adventure". My adventures are not my jobs - in most cases - next summer will be different :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby darlene » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Courious --- What does working for amazon entail?
darlene

Postby HorizonSeeker » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:34 am

Well, I hope I didn't scare Joan off. The job isn't that bad. I don't really like the long hours because it takes away from time to explore the area which is what I like the most about workamping. She was parked next to some ladies who are here because they need the money badly and hate the work. I don't hate the work but I don't find it inspiring either. It's just a short term job. I think of it like boot camp - just something I have to get through to get to the next step which for me is wintering at Okeefenokee. I'm glad Joan decided to leave and go off on more exploring and that she has that option. Life in your rv should be fun.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby JoanE » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 am

HorizonSeeker wrote: I'm glad Joan decided to leave and go off on more exploring and that she has that option. Life in your rv should be fun.

Re having options. I went to see the Natural Bridge in Alabama. Upon returning to the office, the elderly gentleman who took my admission fee looked at me and said, "Is that your machine out there?" When I replied that it was, he said, "You are blessed. You are blessed." While I do not consider owning a MH a "blessing", I'm sure the gentleman was really referring to what he perceived as financial security. I later learned from his wife that they are in their 80s and would like to retire but cannot find anyone to work the office.

And yes, I'm having fun, Vicki!
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 am

JoanE wrote:
HorizonSeeker wrote: I'm glad Joan decided to leave and go off on more exploring and that she has that option. Life in your rv should be fun.

Re having options. I went to see the Natural Bridge in Alabama. Upon returning to the office, the elderly gentleman who took my admission fee looked at me and said, "Is that your machine out there?" When I replied that it was, he said, "You are blessed. You are blessed." While I do not consider owning a MH a "blessing", I'm sure the gentleman was really referring to what he perceived as financial security. I later learned from his wife that they are in their 80s and would like to retire but cannot find anyone to work the office.

And yes, I'm having fun, Vicki!

I spent time with that same man and his wife. We talked a long time. Nice couple. Glad you went there. I don't think most people ever find it :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Joan...I have to admit that I have thought of my RV as a blessing. :) I realize that I am able to afford it because of thirty years of being dependable and showing up and doing a good job. :o I also know that some decisions are just that choices that are able to be made......But I do feel very lucky in these economic times to be able to make these choices. ...and there are those things that we can control and there have always been the unexpected "detours" in lives that suck the life out of dreams...... So, yes the rig is one of those things I am very thankful for!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Tonight was great - as I found more returning friends from last year. One of the host couples from the park I stayed at in Guntersville is back this year - big hugs exchanged there. Then 2 other couples and one single guy are back. And our trainer tonight was one of my favorite Amazon employees - so glad he's still there. Yes, it's a warehouse job, but some of us became family - and while there are part of it I don't like, that part of it makes it better. Also today one of the other single ladies that's working the day shift said she's moving over to the sp by us this weekend.

While this job might cause a few more aches and pains - it gives me none of the anxiety and stress I had in my career. Or that I had a bit this past summer. For me, at this time in my life, that's a big plus. But this is not a job for everyone. And, again, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't want the money, that's for sure.
Beth
Bethers

Postby HorizonSeeker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:39 am

Bethers wrote:Tonight was great - as I found more returning friends from last year. One of the host couples from the park I stayed at in Guntersville is back this year - big hugs exchanged there. Then 2 other couples and one single guy are back. And our trainer tonight was one of my favorite Amazon employees - so glad he's still there. Yes, it's a warehouse job, but some of us became family - and while there are part of it I don't like, that part of it makes it better. Also today one of the other single ladies that's working the day shift said she's moving over to the sp by us this weekend.

While this job might cause a few more aches and pains - it gives me none of the anxiety and stress I had in my career. Or that I had a bit this past summer. For me, at this time in my life, that's a big plus. But this is not a job for everyone. And, again, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't want the money, that's for sure.

You are so right about the stress, Beth. Sometimes when I am up to my elbows in recounts I just tell myself I could be sitting up late reading a stack of really bad freshman compositions. And while I haven't met people here I knew from before, I have met some great people that I hope to continue running into after leaving here. Lots of great folks here no matter what the reason/circumstances for them being here.
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Postby sharon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 pm

BirdbyBird wrote:Joan...I have to admit that I have thought of my RV as a blessing. :) I realize that I am able to afford it because of thirty years of being dependable and showing up and doing a good job. :o I also know that some decisions are just that choices that are able to be made......But I do feel very lucky in these economic times to be able to make these choices. ...and there are those things that we can control and there have always been the unexpected "detours" in lives that suck the life out of dreams...... So, yes the rig is one of those things I am very thankful for!

Hear, Hear!!! I so agree with you Tina!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby carold » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Ditto from me too, Tina. carold
carold

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:01 pm

I have a workamper friend working at Amazon in KY. She LOVES it and is planning to return next year. I am seriously considering it for next fall and have already emailed the workamper HR lady. I hope to find a workamping job in FL for when I leave KY. My friend's name is Cathy and she has a dog named Sky and a big cat (name ?). Let me know if you know her.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 am

bikerchic777 wrote:I have a workamper friend working at Amazon in KY. She LOVES it and is planning to return next year. I am seriously considering it for next fall and have already emailed the workamper HR lady. I hope to find a workamping job in FL for when I leave KY. My friend's name is Cathy and she has a dog named Sky and a big cat (name ?). Let me know if you know her.

Do you know what shift/job she is on? Or which park she's staying at?

And this is the first person I've heard that "loves" it lol - lots don't hate it - but I promise, it's not a job that it's easy to love - and I'm here for my 2nd year. It is a tad easier this year - no 11 hour nights - but it also means it's less ot, therefore I'll make less money this year.

I'd love to meet Cathy (if I haven't already) -
Beth
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Beth...Her name is Cathy Dunican and she is staying at Indian Ridge. I think she works days, but not sure. She may stay at the state park next year, if they put in sewer hookups. She heard they may. She is quite a character. Let me know if you meet her. A workamper friend of Ken's called him today. He is working for a company, detecting gas leaks, etc. Ken told him I could be interested so I will find out more when he gets here next month. Heard it's good money and benefits and still get to travel!

Staying warm in the sun here at the gate, but the actual temp is only 52! I think it may get back up to the 60' s this week. I sure hope so!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:02 pm

I'll check with one of my friends that's staying at Indian Ridge. Will be easier to find her that way :) I don't think the state park has plans for sewer - but who knows. Right now, with the rains, we may have to evacuate. Hoping not. Some people are getting scared. But they told us we'd have plenty of advanced notice - they won't open or shut (not sure which they would have to do) the dam and flood the park without all of us out first. So, hope that the rains subside - I don't want to move :)
Beth
Bethers

Postby JoanE » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:10 am

You Amazonians were featured in an Esquire article. http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashi ... ers-122011
ImageMaggie Mae (Jack Russell "terror")
http://www.emptyponder.blogspot.com
JoanE

PreviousNext

Return to Workamping