Calling All Workkampers

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Calling All Workkampers

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:17 am

I really enjoy this topic, (there's a wealth of information here!) and think I might enjoy a workamping gig in the near future. Tommy is already perusing the magazine for hours.

I'd like to ask those of you that have recently or are currently in these positions: What are (were) your specific duties?

Tommy is a retired electrician and likes to do maintenance and grounds work, but I think I am more suited to customer contact and office work. Will I need to bone-up on any special software to be considered, or do most places teach you their specific reservations systems?

I would like the food service and hostess/cashier possibilities in a park with restaurants or lodges as well. Are any of you aware of those jobs out there that might possibly be hiring anytime soon?

I would also have fun doing gift shop or camp store sales and could cashier, inventory and stock.

Are there ways to just apply at places, (other than just inquiring while you stay there), or do you only go by the magazine ads for help wanted?

I didn't intend for this to be a resume...but it kind of turned into one anyway...sorry about that! :D I would really appreciate hearing from you experienced ladies and would welcome any hints you may have to help me beef up my resume in light of the types of jobs I'm looking for. I have so much life experience and hope my lack of workamper experience won't be too much a deterrent!

Feel free to PM me with information you wouldn't like public, but I have a feeling many of our forum members have similar questions. Thanks in advance!
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Re: Calling All Workkampers

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:13 pm

HI Jill,
We can talk about this in depth at the gtg if you'd like. You 2 will have no trouble finding jobs - and your pick of most of them. It's a little harder for me as a single female - as many parks want couples to do just what you guys could do - one to work maintenance/grounds, etc - the other in the office or store, etc.

I get workampers - but so far my jobs have not been through it. My first one - I wanted to be in central New Hampshire to sightsee ME, NH, VT, etc for a summer. I wanted minimal hours for a site with no or very few extra hours. I got really lucky here. I started by looking at cg's in my target area, and before I did much, someone posted on an rv.net forum that he was looking for someone for 2 days a week at his cg in NH. I called, we talked, discussed it, and that was my first full summer wc job. I loved it there, but it wouldn't be for everyone. My cell (no cell phone) would work from the cg - but mine worked when I walked 10 minutes up one of the hills LOL - so did that a couple times a day to check for messages. There were only a couple local stations on tv - and many people couldn't get satellite there either, as it was so wooded. I happened to enjoy that for a summer. My site was wooded and all alone. I worked 2 days - had 5 off in a row to sightsee, etc - and that's exactly what I did.

OK, when I left that job, I was travelling more of the NorthEast and the other lady who I had workamped with (were only 2 of us and one employee other than the owner :) ) - called me that she was visiting a friend who was workamping in PA and she wanted to know if I'd come take a look - as possibly going there the next summer. Well, that wasn't where I thought I'd head the next year, but next thing I knew my rv headed there - I met up with her there - met the owners and managers and current workampers - they GAVE me a site for several nights - and I signed on to workamp there last summer. I LOVED it there. This one I worked more (usually 30-32 hours over 5 days) - I got to do a variety of things, but mostly worked in the office/store.

Then to this summer. I had wanted to come here my first winter - they didn't need help. I decided to email and see if they needed anyone for this summer (as my g/f lives near here and this is - IMO - the best rv park in the area) and yep, they did, and I'm here.

As to what my needs are - they vary. This year I wanted more hours to have pay over and above my working for a site. They offered me 3 or 4 days a week (however these are 9 hour days) and I took 4. That was fine for the first few months, but now I'm tired of the hours - so when they asked if I would like to stay for the winter, I thought about it - said yes, if I could work 3 days. They agreed.

OK - one of my criteria - is I don't want a job that starts before 8 am. Well, as in all things in life, you sometimes compromise. My hours here start at 6 - and I still hate them. But I like where I am and being near my friend and the beach and so much else - that I'm staying another season. Go figure. In the future I probably would rather work like the previous year in PA and work 4-5 days with less hours per day than the long days here. It gets to be too much - for me, anyway.

My BIGGEST criteria - is how many hours I'll put in for my site. I don't care if they pay me for all hours and take out for the site, or I work so many hours towards the site, then pay over that - but I will NOT be taken advantage of. Many cg's and rv parks will offer lots - some give a free site and pay for all hours worked. But there are also some that really will take advantage and as long as rvers are willing to do it, they'll be able to continue to do so. Case in point - I was called by a park in AZ who offered me a job. The place - looks and sounds beautiful - the area, I LOVE AZ - the job - would have been a piece of cake for me. So why didn't I go? They required 40 hours for the site and a $100 electric credit a month. Oh, I'd get discounted internet and $10 a week allowance towards laundry. Holy moly - I'd work 40 hours a week and possibly still have to take money out of my pocket to pay them??? See they get away with this cuz they have mainly couples. The 2 people work 20 hours each the same days and think that's fine. They are OUT of THEIR MINDS. But they do it. Not me, no way. I would work more hours for a volunteer job than for a private rv park/cg - but I'm not going to be slave labor.

So, what will I work for? So far the most I've paid for my site has worked out to 16 hours/week. But that was the site in NH - and I got the site for the entire season the cg was open and I only had to work for part of the season - so had I come earlier or stayed longer, I could have used the site more and the hours would have worked down less. In PA, they got 20 hours/week for the site - but had more amenities (my electric AND gas were paid for) - and I only actually only paid 10/week for the site, because I "partnered" with another women - and they made a piggyback site for us - and we only had to do 10 hours a piece. My maximum for a private cg? Not sure - but probably would be 20 hours.

Finding jobs? If you know an area you would like to go to or be in - find cg's or parks by checking reviews, etc - and contact them. Most take workampers (not all) and don't feel bad if they either don't need anyone or say no - just move on. Don't take a job if you feel any qualms at all - or take it and remember, your rig has wheels. That said, I'm a strong believer in fulfilling my commitments, but I still know that my rig has wheels and if I'm treated unfairly, I can leave.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Just throwing my 2 cents worth in;
When we bought our 5th wheel in 2003 we got offers from campgrounds/resorts for their memberships. One membership was for KM Resorts in the state of WA where we live. My 'now x", ever the wheeler dealer and who is a retired electrician, talked to the guy and offered, in exchange for a membership, his service. The first year he wired a new clubhouse at one resort. Another year he put in all new electrical hookups at the sites at another resort. One of the KM owners bought out a resort in Desert Hot Springs, CA and offered a free site all winter in exchange for helping him upgrade the resort. For the past 2 winters he's stayed there for free. I'm not sure how they worked out the hours, I think it was a time frame for things to be done as my X likes to be his own boss. Tommy will have no trouble finding work almost anywhere.
AlmostThere

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Wow, Beth! That was an incredible response..it answered so many questions for us. I'll still be happy to see the duties of our other workamping sisters, but so glad you responded and can't wait to meet you at the GTG! I can't believe there isn't anything you haven't covered!!

I'm so happy to know from your experience...and that of our other sisters, that we really need to get the questions answered first. We just did a 'webinar' today offered by Workamper magazine and found out some info about resumes..but I think you gals have the most insight. How can we BOOST it?

In your response I saw the prevailing answer..apply where you will be happiest, and be prepared to take on the tasks, but don't let them take advantage of you! We are both from a strong work ethic that doesn't let us shut down easily...so, hopefully, this will help in our journey. I'm so glad to have found you sistas and your insight!!!
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Sorry, Lenora! We must have posted at the same time.

I agree, Tommy"s skills and tools are valuable, but I don't know how "marketable" I will be. Not to sell myself short, and some of you have met me :lol: ...I can fit in almost anywhere, but how do you advertise that?
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:35 pm

Jill,
You won't have any trouble - especially with saying you have the work ethic you do. When I was in PA, that cg would have loved to have had you there. And they are amazing, they like to find out what you LIKE to do and then if possible, fit you in there. And this year, I asked to work in housekeeping - didn't want to tax my brain LOL - and they asked me to help in the summer in the cafe - so I got to ring up the customers 2 days a week for breakfast and lunch - which I enjoyed. But will be 3 days in housekeeping for the winter.

As to the computers - I've seen many of the ads say they'd like people to have certain reservation skills, but it's more important that you have the people skills and be willing to learn. Having come from the motel industry, I've used lots of reservations systems - but only one so far in the cg industry - and not yet the one that most ask for - but I've had 2 offers without knowing it - just haven't yet worked those places :)

The most important thing to know- especially for the summer season - there are way more cg's needing you than there are people for the jobs. So it really is finding out what is most important to you - and WHERE you want to be.

I'll tell you - the workamping has many advantages for me - but the biggest two without considering the financial angle (1)- I discovered I like staying 3-6 months in one place for one of the seasons a year. I like taking the time to getting to know my neighbors and I've been making a ton of friends. Going out to dinner with another single woman here at this park tonight - in fact, I best get myself ready as she'll be here to pick me up any time now. Oh, (2) I can become too reclusive - and working gets me involved and doing things with others more - not just being on the computer.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby oregontocal » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi, Jill,

I'm going to make this answer pretty simple because that's what my workamping experience has been for almost two years now. Although I have tons of all kinds of professional experience and a resume to match, I didn't feel I should use that one for workamping jobs that only last a short time. So, I think the most important thing I did was subscribe to workamper.com as an "Awesome Applicant. "With that membership, I get many benefits, such as their daily email Hotline that lists new jobs posted each day, as well as forums and "Workamper News," a bi-monthly magazine of job listings and great articles and tips which is available either in printed form or in an electronic version. However, the most important benefit of joining was the capability of writing and posting an online resume, one that you'll have help slanting towards the type of work you'd be interested in doing, what you need, such as site, FHU, money, etc., and where you'd like to do the work. You can also post pictures to go along with that resume. If you find jobs you'd be interested in, either in the Hotline or in the magazine , you can send them your resume with just a couple of keystrokes. However, I've gotten all three of my workamping jobs, all excellent, from an employer seeing my resume online and either emailing me or calling me.

My advice is to check out the workamper site, see what's there, see if joining them is right for you. Good luck.
Chris
oregontocal

Postby Sparkle » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:11 pm

The big thing to watch out for is the "work 20 hours for your campsite." I got suckered into this, not thinking it was 20 hours every week, thats working 1 week free, for every week paid. And what is worse, watch out for the 20 hours when you are a couple. I warned a friend and when she asked, it turned out to be 20 hours each! That's ridiculous, they would have been paying the equivelant of $1200 a month for the site. When doing your resume, leave out anything that doesn't pertain. But put in what will help their business. I worked with Antiques for years, but emphasised that I had rented booth space, dealt with the public, used a computer, sold stuff to people. When you apply for a job, follow up. Both Workamper jobs I got were because I called them on the phone and sold myself. The first job I got the reservations were done by hand. the second job, I learned PARCS9. Most jobs say they will train you. It helps if you have seen a computer before....as you obviously have. I agree a couple has a better chance at a job than a single. There are many gift shop jobs, especially in Alaska! Don't tell them how much you are looking forward to seeing all the sights, they don't care, they want their business taken care of, not to cater to your vacation. I can't think of anything else, you got some excellent answers already. Go for it!
Sparkle

Postby oregontocal » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:58 pm

And be open to doing things you've never done before.

All my prior jobs had been either office, teaching, or ministry. However, my first workamping job was as a server for the breakfast buffet, hosting movies, and housekeeping for a large lodge/motel. As a minister, I'd done a lot of public speaking. However, never did any serving or housekeeping, at least for pay. My last job was serving, meal prep, dishwashing, housekeeping, and anything else that needed to be done for a privately owned lodge. Here again, I'd never washed dishes or done meal prep for pay. And now my next job will be in Amazon.com's huge warehouse. Can't say I'd like to do any of these jobs full-time for more than a few months at a time, but they've been different, even fun experiences.
oregontocal

Postby Sunseeker » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:48 am

Wow, that's lots of good advice, ladies. We recently joined Workampers.com and started on our resumes yesterday. I just wasn't sure what or how much information employers would be looking for. I can see where it wouldn't be helpful to mention I'd like to sightsee...and how breaking down different aspects of former jobs would show experience on a broader scale.

Good advice also on the importance of understanding the expectations up front also and having a list of questions handy for the day when someone contacts us.

Karen, thank you for sharing your resume, and I look forward to reading it as soon as I can figure out how to open it. :? I'll do it though, by golly!

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Sunseeker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:57 pm

Well, Tommy and I are pretty sure we want to give work camping a go. We have been in contact with a park in Michigan and it seems like just what we were looking for as a summer position.

The manager would like us to give her our decision and sign a contract. Do all of you other workers have contracts? I just wasn't sure if this was customary, and what happens if you simply can't fulfill the obligation due to unforseen circumstances?
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:41 pm

I've signed contracts for some, not for others. Generally speaking I like them - as they let both you and the park know exactly what is expected and what they're going to do. Make sure it does that - that it gives you everything you need.

Most of the contracts specify everything, but don't have anything in them about if you can't make it, etc. Just read it all in case it does and you can't live with what it says.

Many people say they get to jobs and things they were told in their conversations or emails aren't what they said. A contract - if it has all that in it, should mean at least most will be what you expect.

Good luck! There are a few places in Michigan on my short list for some summer.
Beth
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:31 pm

I've always had contracts, too. They specify exactly how many hours you work, your duties, and your compensation. I usually write in on the contract anything I'm NOT willing to do such as heavy outside work and if the contract doesn't say, I'll put in the maximum hours I'm willing to work. As for leaving early, this is not a contract that they can enforce by suing you or anything or if things are bad and not what the contract said, your house has wheels. I've found, for myself, that two or three months is long enough and four months is too long but that's me. Maybe if I had been somewhere other than Wyoming with more to do I would have been happy to stay longer.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to Workamping