Radio production on wheels

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Radio production on wheels

Postby rriverstone » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 am

I'm an independent radio producer. I'm converting the back bedroom into a recording studio. I'll sleep in the living area. i post my completed documentaries on Public Radio Exchange PRX, where station program directors can find, buy and broadcast them. I'm also a member of Association of Independents in Radio AIR, which has an email list of some pretty famous journalists, documentarians, public radio innovators, etc. They have actually donated equipment to me and one wants to air my productions, when I get to the Gallup Navajo area.

Here's a short piece I produced for AARP radio. It paid $400! I bought a truck with it.
http://www.prx.org/pieces/34149-a-horse-named-buckwheat

I haven't been able to produce much radio for the past, two years. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to business. I LOVE it!

I'm documenting my adventures in renovating, living in, moving my trailer on audio and video equipment. I'll build web pages for each radio broadcast that will include snips from my blogs, photos, a short YouTube video and a link to the finished production, hosted on PRX.
rriverstone

Re: Radio production on wheels

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:49 pm

I've read a great deal of your blog - you're some lady who has and does live through a lot. I admire your tenacity and independence. Will look forward to your future updates.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Anniepoo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:23 am

Just finished watching "Ask Your Doctor" -
Wow. I'm very impressed. I about split my sides laughing. It really gets the message across.
is this your work?
When I die I'm gonna be cremated. I can't stand the idea of spending eternity in a box with no wheels.
Anniepoo

Postby Hina » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 am

I see this is an older post, but thought I'd reply, since I also do sound production; I've been producing and marketing my own self hypnosis and subliminal self help MP3s and CDs, which sell on Amazon, iTunes, my websites, etc. It's also been suggested I do something on Blog Talk radio, but I haven't done that yet. I've also had some success with videos, which I need to do more of; a meditation video is on the "to-do" list. :) When I get a truck, and the online sales are up to a really solid, liveable level, I plan on making the rounds of New Age and Psychic Fairs to hawk my wares (and take travel expenses off my taxes ;) )

Sound proofing can be a problem! Any suggestions? I haven't wanted to tear up the place, and start taping empty egg cartons all over, LOL! Mostly, I set things up before I go to bed, then if I wake up in the middle of the night, I record, or I record early, like 5 am. My first recording in the new TT came out OK, no significant background noise, but I need to troubleshoot a "60 cycle hum" :x but I worked around that with my software. I've been recording on my Vaio laptop, with a USB mike. In the past,I've been able to set upa sort of "tent" made out of quilts, etc in the bathroom, but that is cramped quarters! But it is an option I may have to do.

Do you have anything on You Tube? Once your videos get a certain number of views, you can "monetize" with Google ads, make a lil' extra $$$ ;)

Jane
:mrgreen:
Hina

Postby Getupngo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 am

This may sound strange, but when I was producing public radio news stories from home, I used my couch as noise baffling. I just talked "into" the couch. :lol: But the sound quality was good. I just had to make sure the furnace & fridge weren't running ... and the dogs weren't panting over my shoulder. In an RV, you might have to record in the middle of the night if you are in a noisy area, then edit during the day.

Just my thoughts.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Hina » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08 am

I did some good recordings in a clothes closet, I'll try the sofa next :lol: This public radio news story idea is intriguing, perhaps I'll have to add it to my bag of tricks!

Jane
;)
Hina

Return to Workamping