WORKAMPER NEWS, DREAMERS ETC.

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

WORKAMPER NEWS, DREAMERS ETC.

Postby Colliemom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I've been investigating this workamper stuff and know that you need a subscription to Workamper News in order to find out whats available. Workamper Plus gives you instant access. But what about the Dreamers. They say a lifetime sub. But suppose you decide you don't want to do that. Money down the tube? What are those of you who are workampers doing. Subscribing to the News and Dreamers both or what. Is there a difference? Just wondering which way to go.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Re: WORKAMPER NEWS, DREAMERS ETC.

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:53 am

Dreamers is new - I didn't get it. And, while I subscribe to Workampers - I haven't gotten any of my jobs through them. Like seeing what's out there though :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 am

Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:22 am

More sites for working (going to try not to repeat any Linda posted)

http://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/jobs/
The North and South Rim of the Grand Canyon hire seasonally for the bookstores, etc (they also have volunteer positions).

As far as campgrounds, I don't usually use any of the sites. I figure out the area I want to be in - then start looking. And when I travel, if I see something I think would be interesting I look/ask. One area where there will always be work is Branson, MO - they don't pay for sites, but have VERY reasonable monthly rates at some of the cg's that would work. And the season is long - you could work from March through now if you wanted. Probably would want to leave before now tho - what with the cold weather :) I got a job that I wasn't able to go to in Alaska - because the captain of the tour boat and I talked - and I hope one day to still do that job or one like it. Like the amusement park that Linda mentioned in another thread - there are others that have that type of work - never be afraid to contact them and ask. They need the help. I know one couple who has gone back to the one in IA for a few seasons now - they love it!

The below are volunteer places - many others - just some I have saved to favorites:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/involved/volunteer/spdest/
http://www.lcra.org/parks/park_host.html
http://www.volunteer.gov/Gov/
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Colliemom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks gals,

I'm going to run this off on my printer and then I can spend the upcoming winter days looking and seeing what's out there, That Workamper Dreamers doesn't sound all bad either.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby bikerchic777 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks, Beth! I added yours to my bookmarks. Can never have too many resources!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby Getupngo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Hmmm ... I have only workkamped once for pay and that was with a business owner I met while volunteering for the Park Service. If you only need hookups ... there are lots of great places to volunteer. My favorite place to find federal volunteering positions is:

http://www.volunteer.gov/gov

Also, state recreation departments also have a ton of volunteer -- and some paid -- positions. I've done both. They usually appreciate the volunteers a great deal.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby flick4411 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:02 pm

When you say volunteer, do you mean no pay coming in or does the volunteering at least give you a place to park for no cost? Thanks!

Li Lammert
Winnebago Aspect 30C
Cat Owner--or is it Owned by Cats?
(Encino and the Kuwaiti Kitty, Habbibi)
flick4411

Postby bikerchic777 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Li...If there is a campground, they usually provide a site for your RV. Depending on where it is, it may not be full hookup so that can be a deciding factor, depending on what you prefer or how long you plan to stay. I was a sub contractor last summer at an Army Corps of Engineers park, working as a custodian. I had a huge full hookup site by the woods and paid by the contractor. I LOVED IT and hope to do that again next summer!!! I'm hoping I can figure out how to do the same in the winter. If I had already figured that out, I wouldn't be sitting pretty right now. I tend to learn things the hard way :oops:

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am

The volunteer positions are mainly for the gov't campgrounds - and are just that - no pay, but you get a site for so many hours worked. If you've ever seen a campground host at a federal or state campground, most of those are volunteer positions.
Beth
Bethers

Postby flick4411 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks Linda and Beth...the only problem with all this wonderful information is that it only adds to my desire for retirement to be here now instead of a year from now. :)

I sense that many of you are full-timers with no other permanent bricks-n-mortar homes. Is that a correct sensing? I have a full house of furniture; I think I want a permanent home, but also want to be able to travel for long periods of time. But then what do I do with the house and all the stuff in it? I've spent 30 years collecting all this stuff from around the world. Some of it I could release easily, but other things....OMG, I love that, and I remember where I was when I got it, and who I was with at the time. Wouldn't I lose all those memories if I no longer had the item? Alas, I think that's why the universe has ensured I have a couple of years to figure this all out!

Thanks for pointing me to this forum. I will keep checking back here for more ideas on how I'll afford to run around the country in future years! ;)

Li Lammert
Winnebago Aspect 30C
Cat Owner--or is it Owned by Cats?
(Encino and the Kuwaiti Kitty, Habbibi)
flick4411

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Li...After moving my stuff around something like 30 times, I found it therapeutic to sell it all and simplify my life, so to speak. I gave my kids the things I thought they would want or need. I do have a few things stored in my mom's garage, but the rest is here in Myrtle. It's all God's stuff, anyway, and we are just borrowing it. That's how I try to look at material things. My mom lived through the Great Depression and has always hoarded THINGS and food. Not to the degree that you can't walk through her house, but much more than she NEEDS. I think it is why I try not to let so much stuff accumulate. It's not a bad idea to keep the house, if you can afford it, while you start your RVing adventures. That way, if you decide it's not for you, you have something to go back to. I kind of wish I had that option right now. Who knows if I will ever be able to afford another home, but at least Myrtle is mine :D For now, I need to get back to IA in the summer to spend time with my 93 yr old mother. When she is gone, if I'm still RVing, there are a lot of summer options. Would be nice to have a place down south or a place to call "home" and go to different summer destinations. There are places I have not yet seen.

There is a wide variety of situations on here. Some are still dreamers. Some are married and RV part time and some full time. Everyone has a different dream ;)

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 am

People told me I wouldn't want to give everything up. So I got a fairly small storage locker and saved some things. Well, I worried about them. A couple years down the road I gave almost all the stuff away so other people could make memories. My memories are always with me - always -doesn't take the "stuff".

That said, we are all different. I sold my house a couple years in advance (without knowing I'd be doing this) when I was transferred on my job. Downsizing so much and getting rid of everything has been sooooooo freeing for me. The only things now are some pictues at my sisters. On, talking of pictures - by those I meant from on the walls. But I also took all my picture pictures and scanned them - got rid of the paper itself. Now I actually have better access to them.

Take your time on this decision - do what feels right for you. If you want to keep the house, decide how you want to do it - will you be wanting to live in it part of each year? Or close it up? Or rent it out? All of the things you could do come with their own set of plusses and minusses. But only you can decide which is the right way for you. We can all only tell you what worked best for each of us as indiividuals.

(Oh, I thought I felt free when I started out in the rv. But getting rid of the storage locker really made me feel free. Amazing how having "things" that we think we need, etc - actually can hold us back. At least me.)
Beth
Bethers

Postby Liz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:09 am

Li, I am one who still has a brick house & furnishings in FL. I call myself a "most-of-the-timer." The house is my winter home, even though I still camp around in FL & go to GTGs during the winter months. I have gone back-and-forth in my mind many times about whether to sell and become a full timer. I would have no trouble giving up the "stuff" inside, which is not nearly as interesting as what you must have. When I'm traveling long-term (May-Oct), I have to pay someone to mow the yard, and someone else to tend the backyard pool (which rarely gets used anymore). But then, I think I may not always be able to travel & this home is paid for. I love traveling in my little Class B motorhome, but would I really want to live in it full time? If I got a bigger rig for full-time living, would I still enjoy the kind of traveling I do? So, as you can see, my mind is not made up.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby OutandAbout » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Li, just a thought for your belongings. Why not take pictures of everything. That way you can get rid of the item and always have a picture of it for reference. (especially if you don't need to touch/hold it for those memories.) Linda
OutandAbout

Next

Return to Workamping