WORKAMPER NEWS, DREAMERS ETC.

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Re: WORKAMPER NEWS, DREAMERS ETC.

Postby Colliemom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for you input to Li, ladies. Those are questions that have been going through my mind too. Food for thought.

Like Li and Liz, I have a stick home as well as my TT. I would like to be free to travel some too, but don't know if I want to full time. Right now I think it would be nice to come "home" once in awhile. But if I leave this house during the summer, I like Liz, have to have somebody cut my grass etc.... I could easily part with my stuff here. It can always be replaced. And actually depending on what type of rig one has, sometimes if you have a favorite chair or something, take out the one in the rig and put yours in. I know people who have done that. Pictures can be hung up in rigs too if there is room or I like Beth's ideas of scanning them for storage.

I have found over the past few years since my dad died, getting rid of stuff seems to get easier as time goes on, and I have to say that I haven't missed it either. As Beth says, it makes you feel so free when you aren't tied down to "stuff".

I want to subscribe to Workamper News for awhile to see what it's about, but I am debating about that new Dreamers site. Would it be something I would like or would it be better to just go with Workamper News as is by itself. The Plus one where you can get ilnfo on line but also get the magazine too. Those of you who subscribe to Workamper News, which way have you found is better. All online or both print and online?
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm

flick4411 wrote:When you say volunteer, do you mean no pay coming in or does the volunteering at least give you a place to park for no cost? Thanks!

We Camp Host for the military...mainly because Ernie's retired from the Army and we understand and are use to the military rules and how it works, etc.,.. :roll: ;) ...we get our site free for the length of our stay as camp hosts....for 25-30 hours a week...jointly....but there are military campgrounds who also pay their camp hosts so much over the required hours...not here... :roll: right now....People tells us we do way more than what is required...(cleaning bathouse and laundry, campsites and fire rings, plus meeting and greeting new arrivals..) but we pride ourselves in treating folks like we would like to be treated....so we go the extra mile...

As far as not having a base home...we've been at this full-timing for 6 years now....don't miss the house we sold....don't miss the "stuff"....son has what he wanted, plus the photos....we visit him and the stuff in the summer....I have my memories...and the love of family and friends...and the great guy in the whole world....that's all I need...but the choice is up to the person/s....

Okay, I'm done... :D :lol:
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't go for anything being mailed to me - you'll find that true with most full-timers. Everything online if possible.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:12 am

I only get Workamper News online. Like Beth, I keep my snail mail to a minimum, as I only have it forwarded to me once a month. I don't know what the Dreamers is like...sorry!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Birdie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 pm

Sue, if the cost is not out of line, get both. It is an investment in your future. Then you can decide which one is best for you and drop the subscription when it comes due.

As for the "Stuff". When I retired, I had all of my HHG's packed and put into storage in NM. When I decided to full-time, I rented an apartment and had the HHG's delivered. I took 6 months going thru the 'things' and packed up and put my "I wanna keep" stuff in a 10 x 20 storage unit. That was then. No I am saying for that $110 a month in 5 years I could buy all of that stuff and then some. My agenda now includes, going back thru my "I wanna keep" stuff and selling, donating and marking it to keep. Hope to get down to a much smaller storage unit and have a lot less stuff.

My house in Oklahoma has 2.5 acres and a nice brick house. It is out in the country and is quite lovely. It also requires that the yard be mowed a lot starting in April and not stopping until October. I don't want to do that and that's why I am selling it. I am keeping about half the land for growing grassburs, ticks and snakes. Thought I may even put a pad down for RV. Lots of room for installing sewer, electrical hookups and water. But then that might mean mowing.....figure I need to think about that some more.

I did spend about 45 years collecting my "Stuff" and while doing that said, when I retire and look at this I'll remember the island, the mountain, the town, the people, the what ever. However, I have developed into a different person viewing things differently. It kind of comes down to what is important to me now. Life is really pretty short and when you die, if you take it with you and you go one way it'll burn and the other way will be hard to carry all that on your back up that twisty road. Why not just let it go and live now. If I want the stuff maybe I ought not be a full-time RVer, huh? That's why I am going back thru it again. That is a lot of words right from the gut!

Lots of things to think about. And we each have our own drummer.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:20 pm

OutandAbout wrote:Li, just a thought for your belongings. Why not take pictures of everything. That way you can get rid of the item and always have a picture of it for reference. (especially if you don't need to touch/hold it for those memories.) Linda

What a great idea!!! Very cool.

And whatever happened to that woman who joined this forum a while back who wanted to start a Woman RVer's Co-Op, or Commune, or nudist colony? I don't recall her name...

mitch5252

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Another idea is to sell the house and buy/rent a condo, so when you travel, you won't have to worry about maintenance and upkeep, and will still have a place to call "home" part of the year. Or rent out your house or part of it.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby SnowGypsy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:04 pm

I wanted to update with a couple of resources that I don't think were mentioned: http://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/ and http://www.coolworks.com/ (they have a "Jobs for RVers" and also an "Older and Bolder" section under "Find a Job".)

Years ago we got Workamper News, you know, mostly just "dreaming". The reality was a lot of subscribers and not that many jobs. About 2 years ago, we got the "Dreamer" subscription and didn't think much of it but did upgrade to getting the paper copy of the Workamper News. It was basically the same jobs in each issue, more like just taking applications, just in case. Anymore, they mostly advertise their "products", seminars, classes, certifications and such rather than being able to fill the pages with jobs. The company changed when it was sold some years ago with "marketing" of their products, etc. seeming to outweigh the focus on jobs. We listened in on some of the seminars they offered and found that not worthwhile, actually so boring we couldn't listen through the whole thing. I'd keep my money and just search the internet.

The internet has changed so many things and job hunting has certainly been one of them.
SnowGypsy

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:00 pm

These were all listed in the email I get from "Workers on Wheels", I get the newsletter every week.

~ CO: State Parks and Wildlife - Temp, Paid

~ MT and AZ: Companion to Assist Elderly Gentleman - Salary

~ CA: KOA Campground Job with Pay and FHU Site

~ UT: Best Western Hotel in Kanub - Paid

~ TX: Animal Rescue Ranch Volunteers

~ AK: Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry Volunteer

~ GA: County Park on the Altamaha River

~ OR: County Park Volunteer Camp Host

~ TN: RV Park North of Chattanooga

~ AZ: Quiet, Adult RV Park with November Opening

~ GA: Pet Friendly, Private Campground

~ MO: RV Park Looking for a Camp Host

~ TX: Campground on the Texas Gulf Coast

~ WA: Campground Near North Cascade State Park

~ OH: Campground in North Central Ohio

~ NH: Seasonal Campground Work
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:43 am

Workamping for close to 11 years now, I still find Workampers the best site out there. While I may not get all my jobs from them, they have the widest range of employers advertising and I pay attn to any in areas I may want to go in the future. Workers on wheels is good, as are dine others, and as a Workamper manager this summer I hired all my fellow Workampers from the Workamper FB page.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Previous

Return to Workamping