First Workamping Job

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

First Workamping Job

Postby doglady » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:58 am

So I was intrigued by the idea of workamping and figured I'd start small (and safe)... signed up for a State Park only about 40 miles from my home. That way if I forgot something it was doable to go back and get it (I do not have a vehicle I can tow - that's the next step).

Anyway -

It's been a month now and so far it's been great - I am working as a golf course "host" - sort of a misnomer since the duties they have me doing don't have anything to do with people - which is the only downside.

The pluses- the work is pretty minimal, I have been able to take off anytime I've needed and all the people associated with the park are very nice.

Site is full hookup and most of the time I've had the campground entirely to myself (too hot during August for many people to want to camp).

I'm now looking for other parks and in other states. This is fun!
doglady

Re: First Workamping Job

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 am

It's so great that your first workamping experience has been so positive! Congratulations!
How are the dogs enjoying it?

mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Sounds like you found a plush job for your first experience. Hope that continues for you!
AlmostThere

Postby doglady » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 pm

mitch5252 wrote:..

How are the dogs enjoying it?

I think they miss their backyard - but - it's not too bad - I've been running them with the bike and they get to ride around in a golf cart too, so I think they think workamping is pretty fun too!
doglady

Postby Getupngo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:00 pm

That's a great way to start out workamping. You can find out if you like it without a great investment in travel time and gasoline. I did a few summers fairly close to home as well, but for other reasons.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Glad you're having a good experience. Keep us posted on your travels.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby cpatinjones » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Happy it is working out for you.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby doglady » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Just an update - am still at the park but have moved "over" to be the campground host -

The hosts that were scheduled to arrive were unable to come this year so it has worked out well -

I've got a beautiful spot with a lake view - same type of situation - campground pretty much to myself except on weekends when there are maybe a half-dozen rigs in the park.

The park people are much more enthusiastic about having a volunteer than the golf course was, and have been very friendly inviting me to lunch and on "shopping" trips (mainly groceries). They also were a lot better organized - turns out I get some benefits from volunteering that the golf course folks didn't tell me about - a year's "park pass"; 5 free days at another park of my choice and some other perks.

The two draw backs to full timing - no yard for the dogs (but we do go on long walks) - and - I've discovered that my sofa is extremely uncomfortable - not sure what to do about it - I've tried supplementing the cushions with pillows but it doesn't really firm it up any - probably going to have to replace - bummer, more $$$.
doglady

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:12 am

memory form......it can do wonders. Then again, I replaced my jack-knife sleeper with a sort of day bed (on hinges so that I could still get to storage) and am much more comfortable. Enjoy the park and the fall weather....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Bethers » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:21 am

Is the sofa where you sleep and uncomfotable for that? Or uncomfortable as a sofa? If for sleeping, I suggest the memory foam for then. If for sitting, no suggestions. Mine was very comfie for me for sitting, etc - however, it's 11 years old now and has permanent sags where I've sat the most :roll: Have been thinking about options - but too lazy to do much about them. Whatever I did, couldn't ruin my under sofa storage!

For my bed, the first year out I got 5 inch memory foam for on top of the mattress. I probably didn't need it that thick, but was on sale, and I jumped at it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:05 pm

That sounds like a VERY cool job. Is it paid or volunteer?
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby doglady » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Bethers wrote:Is the sofa where you sleep and uncomfotable for that? Or uncomfortable as a sofa? If for sleeping, I suggest the memory foam for then. If for sitting, no suggestions. Mine was very comfie for me for sitting, etc - however, it's 11 years old now and has permanent sags where I've sat the most :roll: Have been thinking about options - but too lazy to do much about them. Whatever I did, couldn't ruin my under sofa storage!

For my bed, the first year out I got 5 inch memory foam for on top of the mattress. I probably didn't need it that thick, but was on sale, and I jumped at it.

I went for the memory foam for the bed too - makes it much more comfortable - but the sofa is where I sit and it sounds like a similar problem to yours - the middle cushion just sags - it obviously has been the seat of choice over the years.
doglady

Postby doglady » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:06 pm

Getupngo wrote:That sounds like a VERY cool job. Is it paid or volunteer?

It is volunteer - small State park. Here's a photo of my site:
doglady

Return to Workamping