My experiences

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

My experiences

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm now workamping at my 2nd KOA. Did 3 mos last Fall at Las Cruces NM. Worked 21 hours a week for free site/electric/laundry/propane. Worked in the office and did some bathroom/store cleaning. Basically worked 4 days and off 3. Gave me plenty of time to sightsee and there was plenty to do around Las Cruces. The manager, Leah, was nice and always there with you in case you got stuck on something. The only downside was that she couldn't stand to see anyone "just standing around" so you dusted the shelves and dusted and dusted and dusted. They had the cleanest shelves in the world.

I've been here at the Douglas WY KOA since the last week of April. Was left alone in the office for a couple of hours the 2nd day I was here. Was still trying to remember what to do on the computer and was doing stuff I never learned in Las Cruces. Found out AFTER I got here they keep the office open from 7am to 10pm. Told the owner Jodi, that 10pm was past my bedtime and I can't wait to eat that late (I'm diabetic). Here I only have to work 10 hrs a week for my site/electric/propane/laundry which works out to 3days on 4 days off (Love that). They also own a mobile home park attached to the KOA and you deal with taking monthly payments from them. Lots of time off - not a whole lot to see around here. Walmart is in Casper, 45 miles away. The manager Judy is really nice and explains stuff well.

I have also worked at Desert Haven Animal Sanctuary in TorC, NM. Signed on for 3 months for free site/electric. Loved working with the animals. Was quite upfront on application that I was 67 and didn't work outside in the hot sun. Next thing you know she has me, and several others, raking rocks at noon in 95 degree heat. Told her that night I would finish my second month a week away and was leaving.

My first workamping job was at Beaver Lake Campground in Custer, SD. My friend Carole and I were there as campers for a week just before Sturgis. One of the workampers became ill and had to leave. Cindy, the owner, knocked on our door and asked if we would be interested in working thru Sturgis week. We agreed and they moved us into a workamper's site. Sturgis was a blast. Some really great looking bikes (and some of the owners weren't bad either). We stayed about five weeks and would have stayed longer but Carole got sick (Ashma) and we had to go home. Only down side was the early morning (6am) breakfasts during Sturgis week and that they weren't computerized. Also weren't there long enough to actually learn what rigs go into what sites.

Am going to be a camphost at Schreiner Park in Kerrville for September and October. On paper its more hours (24) but I'm told by those who have done it, that a lot of the time is more kickback. Being in your but "available"; picking up trash as you walk the trails. We'll see.

I love not having a monthly payment for house payment or site rental. I can put whatever I would have paid for that and electric into my savings - more travel money. I like being in an area longer than you can stay on a trip. You can really get to know an area. I have decided that 4 months is too long, at least for me. I start getting restless. Might not be so bad if there was more to do around here. I think next summer I'm going to try State/Federal parks as camp host for two or 3 months at a time and then move on.

This is probably far too much information but I got started and couldn't seem to stop.
Last edited by retiredhappy on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: My experiences

Postby Liz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Very interesting reading about your experiences. I will not be workamping, but if I were, National Parks and forests would be my preference.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to Workamping