Workamping

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Workamping

Postby cpatinjones » Sun May 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Ladies,

How many of you workamp? What are some of the better places to workamp? What are the pros and cons to you? I would love to hear your suggestions and opinions.

I did join the Dreamers at Workcampers.com to learn about that lifestyle.

I am thinking that may be a good way to earn my campground fees when I retire (after I have traveled for awhile). I think I would enjoy staying in national and state parks. National and State parks are my favorite places to stay, especially if they have trails to walk.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Re: Workamping

Postby retiredhappy » Sun May 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Am currently workamping at a KOA in Silver City New Mexico for the 2nd year. Doing housekeeping rather than office. There are many places to check on workamping jobs - each park usually has its own site, KOA has jobs all over the country but you have to join to get into their site, Workamping News. Just depends on what you want to do an how many hours you want to work. I like to work just for my site and electric/laundry because its less hours. There are lots of jobs that want hours for pay plus your site. Pick a state you might like to work in and go to their state park site. They will usually have a list of available jobs and how you can apply. Just remember our motto is: "My house has wheels". IF you get into a situation you don't like or they overwork you or are nasty just drive away. I left one job early at Desert Haven Animal Rescue in New Mexico because of the manager wanting too much (outside work in the hot sun).
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby cpatinjones » Sun May 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks, Karen.
Carolyn
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Bethers » Sun May 16, 2010 7:37 pm

I've been workamping since my 2nd year out. Have done various duties - from office to housekeeping to helping maintain the pools, etc. I like switching things up. I also have learned that some places will want to work me way more than I'm willing to work for a site. I would do more for a state or federal park (which is volunteering) than I will for a campground that is making money off me. One place wants mainly couples - then expects 20 hours EACH for the site. Excuse me - that's full time hours for your rent? Not going to happen by me. I really pay attention to all that.

I got my first workamping job by finding the area I wanted to be in, then contacting cg's in that area. I wanted to work minimal that time to travel the area - Got a job for 16 hours/ week from Mem to Labor Day - had my site (if I wanted it) from when the cg opened in April till it closed in October. I had 5 days a week off to explore. It was wonderful. Most of my jobs since then have been for more hours (I wanted more - liked the money) - but again, I really weigh what they offer versus how many hours it works out to be for the site. 1/2 my jobs have been where the site, including all utilities have been taken care of plus I've been paid for all hours worked.

I belong to Workampers, but as the years have past, I'm not as impressed with them as I used to be. I haven't gotten any of my jobs from them - but I do check out the websites of some of the cg's that advertise with them. And if they are in areas I might be interested for in the future, I save the website to favorites. If I even am looking for a job in that area, I'll contact them.

This summer I was to workamp on a tour boat in AK - would be my ideal workamp job - but it wasn't to be this year. Hopefully I'll do it next year. I found it by talking to the owners of the tour boat when I was in AK last summer. So - in your travels - talk to people. My 2nd workamp job was because someone I worked with the first year on my 2 day a week job recommended I check it out. I went and stayed with this cg on my way south and loved the people who own it, loved the people who manage it, and signed on for their next summer. I'll go back there again -
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cpatinjones » Sun May 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks, Bether.

I don't want to work a lot of hours, either. ;)
Carolyn
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Birdie » Thu May 20, 2010 10:37 pm

I checked out the National Wildlife Refuge in N TX and they wanted 32 hours a week for a site and pay. I thought that was too much like a 'real job'. I'd go back to work at my former employers for 24 hours a week with full benefits and 10X the dollars before I'd do that. Guess I don't want to work yet.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Bethers » Fri May 21, 2010 10:15 am

Now, see, I would consider that - if it's a place I wanted to be. I used to volunteer for 2 organizations when I was in my stick and brick - some weeks more than that! And that's what working for those type places is - volunteering. And you say plus pay - which means you aren't doing that many hours just for the site. I won't do those kinds of hours for a "for profit". But I will work even full-time for a "for profit" if it means getting to spend the time in an area for a season that I would like to be. That's how I've been able to see so much more of the country. When I worked in PA (I love that place) I visited NY city, went to Soos' gtg, went to Philly a couple times, went to visit Lori and Ernie and Gettysburg - met up with several other forum sisters, and traveled lots of those back roads. Plus added money to my bank account. Well worth it to me. But, yes, Birdie, that's exactly why we each have to know what's worth it to US. And if it's an organization I'm willing to volunteer for - you'd be amazed what I'd do.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Workamping