I got a job!!!

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

I got a job!!!

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:48 am

Hey! I got a job!!! I was staying at a COE park in Iowa last summer for awhile and talked to the custodian in my campground. I asked her about how to get a job doing what she does and she said she was a sub contractor, but would be happy to give my name, email address, and phone number to the contractor. I gave the info to her, but never thought she would follow through. Well, it turns out she did...God bless her...and I received an email a few weeks ago! Turns out that a sub contractor at a recreation area decided not to return this summer. Long story short...I got the job! Down side is that I had to get my soon to be ex husband to help me with it while we are going through our divorce, but they are willing to give him a site for his rig, too (I just bought my own-see in other board subject about RV's). Helps us both this way. I tried to get a niece or a friend to help me, since they require two people, but they said they will be backups. I figure I need to get my foot in the door, so to speak, with workamping experience so I can have a reference. Besides, it is a free full hookup site and good pay! I am so happy!!! Now I will be searching for a winter workamping job in FL or CA for winter 2010/2011. Let me know if you hear of any or have any connections. Thanks!

Linda and Rags
bikerchic777

Re: I got a job!!!

Postby kelpie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 am

Linda,
COE has parks everywhere. Now that you know their procedure it should be easier to get other jobs with them. I've stayed at 2 nice COE parks, one near Little Rock AR and the other in Waco TX.
Kellie
and Eddie the wonder dog
2000 Four Winds
http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/kelstravels
kelpie

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Kellie! Yes, I originally had a volunteer job landed, but it was only for a site. I also have a job offer at Adventureland, which sounds like a blast, has hourly pay for all hrs worked, and a very cheap site. But now that I will be going it solo, I will need more income and a site. I will find out more info on bidding on contracts while I'm there this summer. Then maybe I can bid on contracts for the winter! That is where the big money is. Even if I go for a different workamping job, it will be a good experience and a good reference. Thanks for the encouragement!

Linda and Rags
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:34 am

Congrats!! It is a little harder to find solo workamping jobs but I've always been able to get one. But, I also just am happy with free site and electric and just a few hours of work.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mitch5252 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:40 am

Wow, Linda - you're going through a ton of changes!
Good for you, and congrats on the new job and the new rig.

mitch5252

Postby carold » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 am

YEA Linda. Congratulations. You just never know when something or someone will come thru. Getting your foot in the door is a great place to start. Exactly what does a sub-contractor do?? Looking forward to your new adventure. And it's great that your future ex is there for you. Not always the case. carold
carold

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks girls! I'm already feeling the support :D Yes, Carold, for now the soon to be ex is being supportive. It helps to be on the same page. Basically, I will be his boss this summer, so he better behave...lol. Besides, they are hooking him up with a free site, so not bad pay for him for a few hours work on the weekend. Thanks, Mitch, for the congrats and words of encouragement! My life has been all about change since about the age of 19. Seems normal to me. Not sure if that is good or bad. People have told me I should write a book. I said if I did it would be a soap opera called, "As the Stomach Turns"! Retiredhappy...Unfortunately, I am not yet able to retire happy, like it sounds you have. As a single woman, I will need to work for a living. That way I can pay my bills and stay out of trouble ;) I'm loving the girl talk and support from you all! Thanks so much!!!

Linda
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby carold » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Linda, we stayed at 2 COE camprgrounds in Mississippi and were very impressed with the locations, sites and upkeep. Sounds like a great way to begin your "life on the road" :D carold
carold

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Carod...I am excited about my new adventure! Forgot to tell you what a sub contractor does. I will be doing the contractor's work...lol. It is a custodian job, cleaning restrooms, shelters, and playgrounds in a day use area. I will be talking to people who reserve the shelters, make sure it's the right people, and make people feel welcome. Come see me! I will be there May-Sept.

Linda and Rags

bikerchic777

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 pm

I just want to second what all the other gals have said! YOU GO GIRL!!
AlmostThere

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks ;)

bikerchic777

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Good for you - a job and your own RV. Way to go.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks, Bluepinecones! I am very blessed!!!

bikerchic777

Postby avalen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:05 pm

that is great news, my ex and I remained friends for a good 5 years after our
divorce, it worked well for both of us as we made our own way out into the "other"
world, now he is remarried and I let it go.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Ava...I hope my soon to be ex can handle it. He likes to hold a grudge and prefers to not be friends with his first ex, so I'm expecting the same, eventually. My grandkids will likely suffer, as he is "Grandpa" to them. I'm hoping he tries to keep a relationship with them. I stayed friends with my first ex, for our kids' sake, for awhile. I even introduced him to a friend of mine, who he is now married to...and I was the bride's maid :o . I know...weird, huh? :roll: I don't recommend that...hindsight is 20/20, you know? Anyway...my point is that I try not to have ill feelings for people even when things don't work out. Life is too short! I do choose not to surround myself with negative people. I love having friends, male and female, to laugh and share good times with. I look forward to more of that in my adventures!

bikerchic777

Next

Return to Workamping