I got a job!!!

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Re: I got a job!!!

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 am

Linda, CONGRATS!!!!

It sounds as if your new life adventure is working out way fine! You and Rags have a spot to call home, you have some income, and your ex-to-be will help you with all the transitions! I hope to make it to FL for next winter, too, but am hoping I may not have to work this first year out of bondage! We shall see! If you find a job down there that requires two, I would be more than happy to help, however.

Nice to hear some good news!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Nasoosi...I like the Ft. Myers area, so thinking of trying to find something down there. Some workamping jobs require two people so I may take you up on that offer! Thanks :)
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Congrats. Hope this turns out well for you and gets your foot in the door. I don't have trouble finding jobs as a solo - so they are out there. It's a little more difficult to find good jobs in the winter - some of the snowbird destinations get away with slave labor just for the free sites. I don't understand the couples who each work 20 hours for a site - and sometimes only get discounted electric. So, yep, always know just what you'll get. And now that you have your foot in the door with the COE and the contracts, that should be easier for you - hoping that they don't all require couples.

Enjoy!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:28 am

bikerchic777 wrote:Nasoosi...I like the Ft. Myers area, so thinking of trying to find something down there. Some workamping jobs require two people so I may take you up on that offer! Thanks :)

I believe there are some COE cgs near Lake Okeechobee not far from Fort Myers on the Okeechobee Waterway. My coe cg book lists 4....Ortona Lock & Dam South, 8 miles from Labelle, WP Franklin Lock & Dam, 10 mi. east of I-75 on US 80 are the 2 closest.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby bikerchic777 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 pm

Well, I'm not limiting myself to FL next winter. I'm also considering south TX, but everyone I talk to says not enough for me to do and very windy. Never been there, so hard to know. I'm also considering southern CA. I used to live there and have some friends there I'm missing. They have been there for me through some tough times, so they are more family to me than my family...if you know what I mean ;) All will depend on where I get work, of course. I've heard some horror stories on what some workamper jobs really involve after you get started. Probably a good idea to have a backup plan, as well as a contract in hand. I have a lot to learn, but really want to give this a go. I've always admired women who can just pick a place to live and move there to start a new life. Since I like RVing and don't know where I want to "settle", this seems the best option for me for now. I think with God and good friends like you all in my life, I can do it!!! Thanks :D

Linda and Rags
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Yes, south Texas can be windy - as can Arizona, NM, etc etc. I happen to prefer TX, NM and AZ to FL but that's just me. And I love the gulf area of TX - will take the wind for the mild weather (glad not to have been there this year - as was cold, tho - but that seems to be all the US this year).

The winter jobs are a little more difficult to get - so start looking early. Some of them require you to have worked there a summer (because some of those southern locations are just as busy in the summer, but the workampers only want to go there in the winter). So keep looking at all the areas you might be interested in, send them emails and get details. If you take a job and don't like the location - make the most of it for the season - cuz it's not for your lifetime, but a season. And there's really no where I can think of I couldn't handle spending a season. There's so much of interest even in places I thought I'd never find anything! That said, the horror stories will more likely be if the people you work for don't honor their end. So that's where to make sure you know just what will be expected, hours you'll work, jobs you'll do, etc. Because if they don't hold up their end of the bargain, you ARE on wheels and nothing says you have to stay.

Don't get me wrong, I've never left a job yet - but I have the peace of mind of knowing that I could. And I wouldn't leave for some things that others would - I believe in keeping my commitments. However, there are employers out there that simply don't present the truth about what they expect. Then again, there are workampers that don't get the info first - ask the questions and know ahead of time.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Beth...Thanks for all the info and advice! I think most of it is common sense, so I hope I have some...lol. I went to a Workamper News job fair a couple of winters ago and learned much of the same things you told me, so I hope I remember it all. I will start working on my winter job search as soon as I get settled in IA, if not before. I will keep everyone up to date on what I find out and hopefully, if anyone hears of a good workamping job for next winter they will let me know :D

Linda and Rags

bikerchic777

Previous

Return to Workamping