Ask questions

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Ask questions

Postby Sparkle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:14 pm

When I started Workamping I had read I should ask lots of questions before signing on. But you have to know what questions to ask! I had thought asking about the wages, or site would be important, but I've since learned that asking about the work conditions is more important. My first job at the Kaibab Lodge on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon sounded wonderful. But my "office" was an airless windowless closet, filled with office supplies and the keys to all the cabins. I had to shift my chair in everytime somebody wanted something and as I was frequently on the phone with foreign speaking guests trying to give me their credit card numbers it was difficult. This was something I could have asked about. The fact that it was staffed with drug addicts and drunks I had to find out on my own. Its even worse this year, with knife fights. Two chefs fired when they went at each other with knives in the kitchen, and last week a housekeeper needing stitches after a knife fight.
This year at the Crooked Creel Resort in Hill City, South Dakota. 7 hours a day on my feet! No where to sit, even if I had the time. I left after three months telling the owner I was doing two peoples work. It was also 20 hours a week for the site. It doesn't sound bad, until you get your first paycheck and realize you worked for a full week for nothing. I had worked almost 80 exhausting hours and got a check for less than 250.00.
I know Beth had said she didn't realise how early she would have to start. So if you plan on Workamping, make up your mind if you are a morning or night person. What you can and can't do. What hours you want to work, and under what conditions. With the price of gas many of these places are hurting for help. They will work with you to a certain extent. I enjoy working. I get to meet lots of people, but its been a learning experience. I'm looking forward to hearing about Trudy's job when she gets there.
Sparkle

Re: Ask questions

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Yep, Yep, Yep - ASK questions!

Actually I thought I asked them all - except I didn't ask start time. Now, I'm 4 months in and still not used to the 6 am's, but am surviving them enough to have signed on for another 6 months after this. But I still don't like them LOL But I do like getting off work at 3 on 2 days and 3:30 on the other 2. Oh, and these are 9 hour shifts - which I'd prefer 7 or 8, but I do like my paycheck :) And in some ways maybe I'm lucky I didn't know the 6 am start, as I would have turned this down - and I do love where I am. So the trade off is working for me - this time. But I'm going to ask for less hours for my second 6 months (3 days instead of 4 - even though it'll mean less money).

If at all possible stop by where you'll be working in advance and meet the people, find out first hand what it'll be. Now, I've only been able to do that once (my job in PA last summer - and I did know exactly what I would be getting into there - and love the place and people - will go back there).

Oh, and don't think any question is dumb - if you have it - you need it answered! And if they don't want to answer, you don't want to work there.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Sparkle is so right! If I had known the office was open from 7am to 10pm I probably wouldn't have taken the job. I did tell them when I found out that I'm in bed before 10pm. The six hour shifts on my feet played hell with my knee; ended up wearing a knee brace. I did have plenty of time off BUT forgot to check out what there was to do around there. All that time off is why I ended up painting my cabinets so not such a bad thing. I was shocked to be left alone in the office the 2nd day I was there. The bathroom cleaning wasn't so bad except I'm just too old anymore for so much physical labor. I'm being a lot pickier on my next job and something closer to home because of the gas.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Echo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:05 am

Hey Veda

I'm really surprised that no one has answered you about this. I've never work camped before but there are a couple of websites that you can check out. One is workamper.com and workersonwheels.com those are the only ones I know about. Workamper.com you have to join to see the jobs posted, I don't know about the other one? But I would imagine that ya have to join and pay a subscription to that one too.

When ever we can manage to get an RV we will sure be checking the both of those sites out. :D Cause we sure are independently wealthy and will have to work to eat and all that kinda stuff. LOL
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:13 am

Veda, check out state park web sites, US Forestry website, US Park service, if you have a KOA card, the KOA website lists jobs, Pick an area you like and call the private RV parks and ask about workamping. Reserve America has a website.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:15 pm

And don't be afraid to ask - I found my first couple jobs by knowing the area I wanted to be in - then checking out cg's - and found my best jobs that way, also. I do subscribe to workamper.com and find it useful - as many of the cg's use it.

But, no matter where you look, so as this post says - and figure out what you are willing to do, etc, and ask questions.

Now, the thing is, I probably wouldn't have taken my current job had I asked the hours question - but now have signed on to stay longer - so sometimes not knowing is a good thing LOL - work and hours are more than I wanted, but there are other perks that make it worth it to me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby oregontocal » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:05 pm

This is my second year workamping and for the most part I've had a decent experience. I've been asked by many people to return to this lodge in the middle of nowhere with a fantastic view next year. Adam and I make a wonderful team. He's a 29-yr-old trained chef and I do everything else to help make this place run smoothly--facilities manager my contract says. However, we've been talking a lot lately and I found out he's making more than twice what I am! He requested a certain salary, I didn't. Bet you know what's going to be on my report to the shareholders next week. Yep. I'm requesting a nice big raise. The people who own shares in the place are,k for the most part, very wealthy. If they want us both back, as everyone says, they'll need to pay enough.

Chris
oregontocal

Postby Sparkle » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Boy I hate that when two people are working equally hard and one gets paid more. You deserve more money. I understand Chefs do get more, but fair is fair. I THINK I'm coming back to the Kaibab Lodge next year. They are really cracking down on all the bad employees. It's lovely here. I like the work and I make and save a lot more here than anywhere else. I've e-mailed Echo telling her this is a good opportunity as they have housing here. If we fill it up with good staff there will be no room for the scum that they hired before.
Sparkle

Postby oregontocal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:07 pm

Sparkle, I almost missed this one. Yes, I'm definitely going to request more money. I'm glad you're enjoying Kaibab a lot more now that they're weeding out the weird people from last year.
oregontocal

Return to Workamping