The Good with the Bad

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

The Good with the Bad

Postby reanns » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Hello all:

I was so excited when I got my Winnie and almost immediately got a work/camp job outside Yellowstone Natl Park at a large RV resort for the entire summer. I realize we all learn from mistakes but after looking back on the last 3 months, I don't think I could have foreseen the end results without first doing a criminal background check and going to the local worker's comp office to see if and how many cases had been filed again this owner (10 - 3 this season alone!).

I had an owner who treated his w/c's like his personal slaves. Never once said 'please' or 'thank you' and certainly never paid any of us what he had promised. And as soon as we got close to Labor Day - bonus time - he started letting us go. The first ones hired were the first one let go. His reasoning was 'business was starting to drop'. Since I ran the reservations desk, I knew that was a lie. And then he came to my RV, knocked on the door and said I had to leave NOW because I didn't respect him - and it showed! I came so close to laughing in his face - especially since we had all seen him fall off the end of the bar every night, run after anything that walked in that that was female, scare off 2 young Russian workers (they sued him for sexual harrasement and back pay) and then there was the time he spent all night in the hot tub with 3, young, nubile things....So no, respect for him never entered the pictures. I told him I wasn't leaving until I got my last check (2 weeks pay) that he owed me. He said he'd mail it - and I said 'no way.' He threatened to call the sheriff and I said "oh, please do." By then, we all knew that the entire community thought and knew about this man.

So I got my check, he let 4 of us go the same day and was left with a skeleton staff to run this huge place because he didn't want to pay an end-of-season-bonus. And I went on my merry way - to southern Utah to do The Grand Circle.

You had better believe I questioned the owner of the resort where I'm working for the winter! I'm just praying it will be a more positive experience.

Word from the much wiser - stay away from YVI in Cody, WY.

ReAnnn
http://www.myhomeontheroam.blogspot.com
reanns

Re: The Good with the Bad

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 pm

No chance you had an employment contract, eh?
(I know NOTHING about workamping...)

What a bummer. I'd have walked out a lot sooner.
There's NO reason to treat decent people like that - none.
Glad you're out of there.
If you hadn't stayed around for that last check, think you'd have ever seen it? HAHA!

mitch5252

Postby VickieP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:10 pm

I'm glad you survived that experience! I bookmarked your website to go back and read your experiences, I'm sure one day you will be able to laugh about it! You need to check in more often and keep us updated on where you are.
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby WickedLady » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:26 pm

I would have been gone when he didn't pay what had been promised.
WickedLady

Postby avalen » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:39 pm

thats definately one to stay away from, I'll remember that when someone else is
asking about workkamping. Good to hear from you, and now I'm off to read your
blog.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Please post the name of this campground so others can avoid it. My motto is "My house has wheels" and I left one job (Desert Haven Animal Sanctuary) early because of overworking the workers. Good for you for standing your ground re your paycheck.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby reanns » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm

It was/is the Yellowstone Valley Inn & RV Resort in Cody/Wapati, WY. 18 miles west of Cody, 30 miles from the East entrance to Yellowstone. And did I mention I never once ate food from the restaurant the entire time I was there? I walked through the kitchen to and from the Front Desk and the filth and unsanitary conditions were appalling. The cook was having an affair with the sous chef and they spent their time smoking pot out the back door. It was so disgusting - no, not the smoking! I wondered where the Wyoming Health Inspectors were - or even if they have any and I never ever saw one of those 'inspected and passed' signs you see in most restaurants.

Right now I'm in Moab, working for 2 weeks at a wonderful, sweet little campground and then heading to Santa Fe and Taos for some R&R before my next gig in Florida for the winter. Anyone ever stayed at the Emerald Coast RV Resort in Panama City Beach? The poor owner, when he called to offer me the position, got drilled. He finally asked what kind of awful place I was at that I was asking such questions! It sounds a whole lot better - and it's a 1/2 mile from the beach!

Off to do the LaSalles Loop this evening once the sun starts to go down and it's picture taking time. Have done Arches and Canyonlands and doing Mesa Verde and Monument Valley over the weekend. Will have 1/2 of the Grand Circle completed - and reasons to return to do the other side.

ReAnn
http://www.myhomeontheroam.blogspot.com
reanns

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 am

So good to hear you found a better place to work. Winter job sounds promising too.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 am

Thanks, Reanns, for giving the scoop on this hideous-sounding place. Let's hope your FL gig is WAY much better! I will look forward to hearing what it's like down there.

I always thought that work-camping was a part-time job? I know that many have related stories this year of slave-like conditions where the employees are overworked and underpaid. Are there any such things as 'work-camper' contracts? I think I might have to insist in getting something in writing so they can't abuse me should I get into such a situation. Apparently there are some very unscrupulous, cruel, abusive campground owners out there, as is the case in the 'outside' world, too.

Thanks for this lesson, and I am so hoping your next experience will be a fun one, as it should be.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:19 am

My friend is on her first workamping job at a bookstore near the north entrance of Yellowstone. Her RV is at a campground with the name Canyon in it. (sorry the name slips my mind) She totally loves her job. The workers even got treated to an outing one day! I guess the difference is she's not working AT the CG, just getting a deal for her space.
Just my 2 cents worth.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:59 pm

I interview all my prospective jobs - it's about both of us being happy. And I do believe in the motto that "my home has wheels". It doesn't mean I love everything about every job, but I make sure they follow through on what they tell me. I had a contract with my first job - was really more for them than for me - haven't had one for any job since, and each one since I've gotten just what promised. I make sure of that. Or those wheels would be on the move.

Now, yes, I was surprised when I got to Port Aransas and discovered my job started at 6 am. Foolish me hadn't asked start times. Funny thing - I ended up extending that job - the other perks made up for my dislike of early mornings LOL - so that was a good thing I hadn't asked, as I would have refused the job. Ha - sometimes it's good to not know :)

Don't ever be afraid to move on - especially summer months when there are way more jobs than there are people for them.

I've heard good things about where you're going for the winter - but don't have a clue as far as workamping there - so let us know! I think after you told him your story he should know better than to screw around with you.

My biggest criteria is that I refuse to work the amount of hours many places want for the site alone. But that hasn't hindered me from finding good jobs - many with the site totally covered AND pay.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:31 pm

This is all good information folks.....Just like so many other RV traveling and living issuses......the experiences of others are so valuable and helpful to the rest of us.....we will learn enough the hard way from our own expereinces......I thank you for sharing....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Return to Workamping