refuges, reservoirs, rivers & islands

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

refuges, reservoirs, rivers & islands

Postby Getupngo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:09 am

I live in Utah, and my first workkamping gig -- 18 months after my DH died -- at the Black Bayou Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Monroe, Louisiana. I worked in the visitor center 24 hours a week in exchange for hookups. I lived on the refuge and one of my jobs was closing gates. The last one I closed behind me, and then it was just me, the dog, and the alligators, frogs and other myriad critters putting up a din every night. The rangers were wonderful to me, and I met a lot of great people there. I returned there this winter for another two-month volunteer gig. Found out Louisiana is COLD in the winter. Drat!

My next gig was volunteering for the National Park Service at American Camp on San Juan Island. I worked 32 hours a week at the visitor center and lived in the park with a view of the ocean I enjoyed my time with the Park Service and I really liked the rangers. I also got to write and design publications. I returned to the island this summer, and I'm working for pay for the first time, at a moped rental business. My boss is providing hookups AND wages. Can't beat that with a stick.

After American Camp, I went to Crouch, Idaho to volunteer for the Forest Service as a volunteer river ranger -- 40 hours a week (manual labor) for the privilege of being on the river. My late DH and I were river rats, and I was trying to reclaim the river for myself. After about 10 days there I made an astounding scientific discovery: my supervisor was, in fact, the south end of a northbound horse. After he denigrated me in front of another volunteer, I returned to my rig, packed up & left without even saying goodbye.

When I arrived home, I contacted Utah State Parks and they found a camp-hosting volunteer job for me at a nearby reservoir. Only 20 hours a week, but hot manual labor in the sun. I worked with a large group of fellow volunteers, and the rangers were terrific. Started learning to sail.

So, out of five volunteer or workkamping jobs, only one was a dud. I've been pretty lucky.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Return to Workamping