2015 in Keystone SD with the "Heads"?

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

2015 in Keystone SD with the "Heads"?

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm returning to the store I worked at this summer for 2015, however I'll be managing it. I'll need some GREAT workers. If anyone is interested, pm me. I have most, but not all, of the details - and hopefully will have all next week. The season would run from mid-or-late-April through Sept. Hours would be close to full-time (the owner hates overtime), and if a couple, would like both to work (I'll have limited workamping sites - so need to get as many people in the few sites I get as possible!!!!) The store was open 7 am - 10 pm this summer and hours will be similar. (Opening person(s) would start at 6:30 (talk of opening at 6:30 would mean a starter at 6)- closing might change to 10:30 to accommodate people returning from the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore. That's to be determined. (It takes about 10 minutes to close the store after locking up.) May will see more limited hours, same with Sept after Labor Day - the store won't be open as many hours, we won't have to work as much. Pay will be for all hours worked at $9/hour. There will be a deduction for the site, which will be returned at the end of the season (less an amount kept for electric usage (that is being discussed - I expect it to be $15 or $20/week) as long as the contract is fulfilled- meaning you stay to the date agreed upon in the contract. There will be a discount at the store and I'm working on making sure the employees of the store will get the discount card for the Black Hills area and attractions.

I really enjoy the store - you meet people from all over the country and all over the world. It's diversified work - from working the registers to keeping the place clean, to stocking the shelves and cooler, etc etc - everyone does everything. The store is a combination convenience store, gift shop, gas station, liquor (limited) store. The town itself only has about 300 year round residents. Almost everyone will be coming in and working - some from foreign countries - same as the tourists. Most of the stores and restaurants in town will give all of us a 10% discount just because we are working there. One of our main jobs will be giving directions and suggestions on places to see and go.

We are 2 miles from Mt. Rushmore (which is visible from our sites) and about 10 miles from Custer State Park. Major shopping is in Rapid City, about 25 miles away. Hill City (8-10 miles away also has a grocery store, hardware store, etc). The countryside is gorgeous. AND this will be the 75th Anniversary of Sturgis - so the first couple weeks of August will be CRAZY - in a fun way.

I'm looking for a great team - where we all work together, have fun at work and at play!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: 2015 in Keystone SD with the "Heads"?

Postby asirimarco » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Almost makes me want to join your. Wonder how the air would be for Bill? Wish we could sell the da!m house.
asirimarco

Postby Bethers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 pm

asirimarco wrote:Almost makes me want to join your. Wonder how the air would be for Bill? Wish we could sell the da!m house.

Wish I could answer about the air. I'm surprised Arizona was bad, but it could be the amount of rain they had caused more pollen in the air yet?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby dpf » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Sure wish this was going to be the summer of '16! ;) You have some great ideas for the employees, Beth. Discounts at the attractions would be a real benefit for those who have never been in the area. If the employees have actually experienced some of the attractions they will be better prepared to give the customers suggestions. Go for free or discount parking passes at Mt. Rushmore, too! They must be available because we got one from the motel we stayed at in Custer a couple years ago. I would also suggest getting transferrable state park passes for the employees. They cost $65 and can be used by anyone in any vehicle during the year it is purchased. Keeping the store open until after the lighting ceremony is an awesome idea. I can see that it would be very profitable because there was a ton of traffic by the motel after the ceremony when Missy and I were there in mid-September. I can't imagine what it must be like during peak tourist season. I predict that there is going to be one very happy store owner at the end of the '15 season. ;)

***Note to anyone considering. There are two grocery stores in Custer. The population is over 2000. It's about 22 miles from Keystone. While you're there eat at the Purple Pie House. AND my words of advise on attractions is: if you have a tendency to get dizzy and disorientated easily don't go to the Cosmos! :shock: I was royally screwed up after we went there. Make sure you take a trip on the 1880 train.

On edit. Carol, my son had trouble with his allergies in Custer during May and early June. He thinks it was the pine trees polluting.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:42 pm

Pat, if this summer goes well, maybe I'll do a repeat, especially if you'd consider coming! What fun we'd have.

Personally, I liked the grocery store in Hill City better than the one in Custer, and 10 miles closer.
Beth
Bethers

Return to Workamping