How NOT to Manage Employees

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

How NOT to Manage Employees

Postby oregontocal » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:28 pm

Beth and I complain about the store "managers" quite a bit lately, and with good reason. However, today one of them just proved how inept she is at managing. She's known for a long time that Beth's last day here is tomorrow. However, do you think she said ANYTHING, such as "It's been nice having you work here," or, "Thank you for doing such a good job," or perhaps just a simple, "Good luck in your next job"? Nope. Not a single word as she flounced out the door. In a normal world, she might say something tomorrow, Beth's last day. However, this "manager" takes Friday through Sundays off so won't be here. What a b----- (fill in the blanks)!
oregontocal

Re: How NOT to Manage Employees

Postby gingerK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:07 am

Well, that just sucks. I guess some people nowadays have no manners.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby avalen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:32 pm

wonder if she has someone on the schedule or is she gonna have one of those "uhhhh" moments. of course we'll never know.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby oregontocal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:59 pm

I'll be doing evening and nights until the store closes and our only other employee will do days.
oregontocal

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Sad thing, I like the job. I've enjoyed meeting so many people from so many places. But the term "manager" for this woman, even in quotes, is a misnomer.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Beth, is she the one you told me to call when I was looking for a place to stay in Keystone at the end of May? The one who didn't know who you were when I told her you were working in her store?
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Sorry you had to put up with her, Beth but we all know you did a great job.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:36 pm

I often wonder how these people keep their jobs :roll:
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Sandi, I think you talked to an employee the motel. But not sure. Barbie, she's losing hers.

And the end result, if all gets worked out, is that I'll be back next year as manager.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:27 am

Way to go, Beth!
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Othersharon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:44 am

Hope it works out for you, Beth. Some people just don't realize how a few words can make a difference and it only takes a moment. Sad for her cause it all comes back around.
Othersharon

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Don't take it personal. It is all about her (and her issues), not you.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Congrats to you Beth. Karma, what goes around, comes around and she is getting her karma.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby snowball » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:04 pm

some times we have to wonder don't we? I wonder if people just haven't been taught or don't care about
others and their feelings or for that matter politeness.
You Beth will be a much better manager if in deed this comes to pass. Because you care
Glad that things are better
sheila
snowball

Postby happytrails » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:37 am

I have had the best boss anyone could ask for here at Vallecito Resort in Vallecito,CO. He has done several special parties for the workampers here since the beginning of the season and tonight topped them all. He fed 26 people at a local steakhouse including drinks and dessert and made a little speech as well. He said it isn't often that people can say they like what they do and are happy with the people they work with but he feels he is living his dream owning this park and the people that work here help make his dream happen. The majority of the workampers here have been coming back for years. Dave is approachable and not a micro manager. All he cares about is the job getting done and the guests having a good experience. I wasn't able to complete my assignment due to a fractured wrist but he gave me a good break on my rent for the next 2.5 months and made sure I knew that I was still invited to all the workamper events he did. This has been the best 5 months I've experienced in a long time and the folks in this park have had much to do with that. I'm almost afraid to look for another workamper job because this is all I have to compare it to. So yes there are people out there that are not very good at managing folks but I can't say that for this park.
happytrails

Next

Return to Workamping