Looking for Workcamping East Coast

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Looking for Workcamping East Coast

Postby CricketSail » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 am

I'm looking for a paid position anywhere on the East Coast MD - Georgia, maybe FL, mid-December through April or May. It can this full length of time, or I could put a couple of jobs together. I'm fairly independent since I have solar and lots of propane. I don't have a car, but am used to stocking up on necessities that will go for weeks, and am mostly looking to supplement my income, not sightsee/vacation. I would really like to have wi-fi, and enough time to take care of my two dogs. I'm quite flexible, friendly, have worked for years as a National Park Service volunteer. The volunteering was great, but I need some extra money to support my RV and repairs. Right now I am doing house sitting and that's been fantastic, that's a good option too. Any tips much appreciated.
CricketSail

Re: Looking for Workcamping East Coast

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:48 am

I don't know anything about work camping but did a quick search and found quite a few listings on line in the areas you want. This one was just listed yesterday:
Folkston, GA USA Show on Google Maps 2014-09-01 04:55:03 3371
Eco-Tourism Business Needs Help
By Okefenokee Pastimes Inc. Folkston GA (Work for Money & RV Site at Cabins, Tours and Campground Business). We need quality help from mid to late October through the first week or middle of May. Okefenokee Pastimes Inc. is a small 18 year old ecotourism business that offers cabin rentals, guided tours, camping, and outfitting. It is owned and operated by the couple who created it in 1995. Okefenokee Pastimes is situated at the main entrance to Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge 7 miles south of Folkston, GA. Located a little less than a 1 hour drive north of Jacksonville, FL.

A good fit for us is - hardworking, fun loving, healthy, nature oriented, trustworthy and solid and dependable helpers who honor their commitments. It would be for a 30 amp RV site with full hook-ups and laundry privileges etc. in exchange for 25 hours of real work per week. Also we have some projects and business needs requiring more than the basic site exchange time, this would be for pay - $100 a week in additional work - (if the work quality is good and suited to our needs). It is very important that you send us some detailed information on yourselves.

E-mail or phone us (emailing is much preferred as a first contact) e-mail us for more detailed info. - email jo@okefenokee.com - telephone (912) 496-4472 please e-mail first but leave a detailed message if you must. Thanks for checking out our web site.
Steve & Jo
Okefenokee Pastimes Inc.
28244 Hwy 121
Folkston, GA 31537
jo@okefenokee.com
http://www.okefenokee.com
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby CricketSail » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:21 am

Thank you for the post - I know those people, stayed there last spring, and think they are great! I'm on it!
CricketSail

Postby CricketSail » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:50 am

Bluepinecones - this is really fast, I will connect with you later. I dashed off a message to Okefenokee. As mentioned, I know them and it would be a Perfect fit for me. I think we were going to connect last spring...
Where did you see this ad? and thanks again, you mentioned the name but is it a publication or a web site? thank again. Sharon
CricketSail

Postby HorizonSeeker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Cricket, I know these folks too. They were my first workcamping job (well unless you count my months at Amazon). They are both delightful people and it's a great place to be. Only 7 miles into town and an easy bike ride down to the visitor center in the refuge. Nice weather there too!
www.horizonseeker55.blogspot.com
One (re) tired teacher and a spoiled fox terrier in a 24' Itasca Spirit
HorizonSeeker

Return to Workamping