Paul Nelson Farms

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Paul Nelson Farms

Postby Bethers » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm in the final stages of accepting a position at Paul Nelson Farms (http://paulnelsonfarm.com/) in SD (thank you Linda). As of Wednesday, they were still in need of one more single in my dept (housekeeping/kitchen) and a cook. The season is mid-August to mid-December. (I'm not able to start until mid-September, but they are working with me on that.)

Yes, I realize it's SD and it gets cold in the winter - but they have a geothermally protected building that the rv's will pull into! How cool is that?

Here's more info on the single woman position:

Paul Nelson Farm is a working farm and an exclusive pheasant hunting lodge.

Our farm/lodge is currently looking to recruit solo workampers for the upcoming season (mid-August - early December, 2014). At this time, I am looking to find someone who can float between the housekeeping and kitchen departments. Simply put, I need someone who is extremely flexible, healthy, loves a challenge, gets along well with others, has a "can-do" attitude.

Here are some of the tasks performed by our team members:

Housekeeping team - This work includes, but is not limited to: cleaning guest rooms, folding laundry, washing floors, cleaning bathrooms, washing windows, cleaning guest lounge areas, vacuuming, restocking beverage coolers

Kitchen team - This work includes, but is not limited to: working in the kitchen to help prepare food for guest consumption, set up buffet area, clear tables of dishes, load/unload commercial dishwashers

The "floater" position requires 32+ hours per week.

Our benefit package is substantial!! We ask for 10 hrs/wk in exchange for FHU site (50/30amp, water, sewer), WIFI, free laundry and supplies, hourly wages paid for additional hours worked. In addition, a season end bonus check is paid. This bonus is determined from the tips collected from guests throughout the season. The housekeeping/kitchen team member position pays between $7.50-8.50 per hour PLUS the season end bonus typically averages $4-7 per hour worked during the course of the season. Of course,the season end bonus depends on tips, but our average really hikes up the overall pay. Once the hunting season begins, meals are provided while on the job. When the weather becomes cooler, we have a geothermally heated/cooled warehouse in which the coaches are housed, eliminating the concern for the change in temperature. Within the warehouse there is a lounge and kitchen, male and female bath areas and a laundry room.

The cook would be preparing meals for up to 25 - depending on how many are there - I don't know as many details on that position. If you have questions I can answer, I'll certainly try - but below is contact info:

If interested in either position, please contact Melissa and let her know that I gave you the info:

Melissa Fail
Workamper Recruiter,
Paul Nelson Farm
612 S. Exene
P.O. Box 183
Gettysburg, SD 57442
(931) 338-8057
melissa@paulnelsonfarm.com
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Paul Nelson Farms

Postby snowball » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:13 pm

sounds almost tempting other than leaving that area in Dec and snow
thanks for the information
sheila
snowball

Postby bikerchic777 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:49 am

Glad you got it, Beth! Make sure you tell them that I referred you. May look good, if I ever decide to work there. Paul tried like crazy to recruit me, last year.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 am

bikerchic777 wrote:Glad you got it, Beth! Make sure you tell them that I referred you. May look good, if I ever decide to work there. Paul tried like crazy to recruit me, last year.

I already told them.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks, Sistah! Hope you like it there ;)
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 pm

bikerchic777 wrote:Thanks, Sistah! Hope you like it there ;)

Me, too. Have played phone tag with Paul Nelson, and without us ever talking, I'm in lol I'm fine doing housekeeping and a little switch up helping in the kitchen is good also. Too bad you won't be there, too.
Beth
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Yes. It would be fun to work with you, I'm sure. Not sure I'm ready for that much winter or I'd go for it, now that I'm going to be in IA for the summer. I talked with Paul, last year, I believe. He sounded nice. He practically begged me to come work up there. Even offered to let me come up and mow in the summer. I will be anxious to see how you like it.

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:13 pm

bikerchic777 wrote:Yes. It would be fun to work with you, I'm sure. Not sure I'm ready for that much winter or I'd go for it, now that I'm going to be in IA for the summer. I talked with Paul, last year, I believe. He sounded nice. He practically begged me to come work up there. Even offered to let me come up and mow in the summer. I will be anxious to see how you like it.

I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy this. I love the geothermal building for the rv's. Now if they had similar to walk Peaches lol.

Funny you calling him Paul, while the woman doing his hiring now always refers to him as Mr. Nelson. He and I have only played phone tag, but I'm in. I'll probably take a drive out there over the summer and check the place out. I'll let you know how it goes.
Beth
Bethers

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Sounds good. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to call your future boss Paul :roll: It is how he introduced himself, when I talked to him on the phone. Maybe she used to babysit their kids :lol: i think you should call him Mr. Paul. It's a southern thang. Yes, the geothermal bldg sounds like like a great idea. I'm guessing that money is no obstacle. Looks pretty posh.

bikerchic777

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Sounds like interesting place to work.
However do you get to stay in the geothermal building until the spring thaw or do you have to leave at end of hunting season?
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby bikerchic777 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:42 pm

I think he would let you stay if you continued doing something, workwise, but who would want to stay the whole winter? When he was trying to convince me to work for him, I told him I needed something for the summer. He said I could come mow until hunting season. She could shovel snow ;)

bikerchic777

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:39 am

I will head south at the first opportunity after the season. I've done my share of shoveling, thank you lol
Beth
Bethers

Postby Olive6001 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Looks like a nice experience, Beth. Where will you be this summer?

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Bethers » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:00 pm

Olive6001 wrote:Looks like a nice experience, Beth. Where will you be this summer?

Nikki

I'll be in Keystone, SD this summer, going straight from one job to another in September.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Olive6001 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 pm

You're a busy woman. Thnx.
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Next

Return to Workamping