Landed my 1st WK job!

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Landed my 1st WK job!

Postby Pamela » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:53 am

Well I am past excited about my quickly up and coming WK job at Vallecito Lake (Vallecito Resort) outside of Durango, CO. One of the reasons this opportunity appealed to me as my first adventure is because I am familiar with the lake area and resort. My late husband and I lived in Durango and spent time there. My contract is for May 1-Oct 3. Now I have a million questions as I have not been in my RV for more than 1 week at a time and that was staying in families' driveways.

I am definitely going to bring my car and now have to get a tow package which shocked the "bejeebers" out of me. I am looking at the Blue Ox base plates, Stay N Play braking system, lighting kit and power cable. The place I am considering having it done is in Kerrville, Tx. where I live. I have gone online and managed to trim down the cost of the parts by $418.00 (same as what they will use) by shopping around. The labor will cost about $920.00. The braking system is what drove it over what I thought it would be as I didn't realize you had to have that. It sounds like an important item if you are traveling in the mountains where I will be and is now required by most states. I have also thought about renting a tow dolly just for this trip. $185/each way.

I own a 24' 2001 Chinook Destiny which does not have a slide. I don't have a lot of under cabinet storage space, have a larger than usual "wet bath" with a small medicine cabinet but no other storage in there. I keep my towels and wash cloths in a basket on the shower seat area. I am thinking more about the kitchen, what I will eat and the best kitchen appliance to cook things in without taking too much space. I do have 3 burner stove and microwave. I've thought of a toaster oven and looked at them tonight but they take up quite a bit of space and there's not much place to store it except on the counter top by the sink or across on the stove cover. I will be about 35-40 minutes from the grocery so can't and don't want to be running into town often. So I am asking for storage and cooking ideas. I do like to eat clean and am not one for a lot of processed foods.

Cuddos to this great group of women who help many of us hold onto our dream of RV'ing. I love all of the blogs and thank each and every one of you for all the support and love you show to each other.

Pamela
Pamela

Re: Landed my 1st WK job!

Postby Azusateach » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 am

Congratulations! :)

I'm not a full-timer, or even a long-timer, but wanted to chime in and say that I know you'll work things out with storage issues.

I don't know about those gals who live in their rigs, but I've got a toaster oven and LOVE it. While it might take up valuable space, if you don't have an oven it can be a wonderful, albeit small, lifesaver for the occasional cookie or toasted bagel. There are small ones out there that aren't expensive.

I'm sure others who've got lots of experience packing for extended periods of time in their rig will add their two cents' worth soon.

Please keep us posted on the adventure. Again, congrats!

Laura
Azusateach

Postby Bethers » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:01 pm

My rig has an oven and a microwave/ convection. If I only had the microwave and stove, yes, you'll love having a toaster oven.

I'm fine in my small rig. You'll have to learn what you do and don't need and only this experience will tell you that. So much I got because others needed it, I never used. Other things I do use. I rarely use the crock pot when traveling, but use it and love it when workamping.

And a big congrats to you. I love Durango and if I didn't have to be at my job in SD so early, would be making a dip there to visit friends first. Great area.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby judi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:40 pm

I have a Cuisinart griddler that I love. It can be used inside the rig or outside with an extension cord. I use it for pancakes, eggs, bacon, grilled vegetables, chicken, fish - just about anything! You can use it a a sandwich press as well. Marinate a bunch of vegetables and grill them and it's so good. There are two sides to the grill surfaces - one smooth and one ribbed.
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Just wanted to add my Congratulations!
I don't full time but think if I were going to be in one place for several months, would get a toaster oven even if I had to leave it when I moved to another location. Might do the same with crock pot. I use both of those frequently at home. If you don't have room to travel with either/both appliances, just wait until you get to CO to buy them. (My rig is 23 feet and also lacks inside storage space).
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Pamela » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 pm

The griddler sounds like a great idea. I love grilled veggies and being able to use it outside as well is nice. I will have to check that out. Thanks 'BLUEPINECONES" for the suggestion of waiting til I get there. I will have a better idea of what will work and there is a Walmart nearby.
Pamela

Postby skeedaddle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:50 am

hun..i sure hope the adventure went good and i am scouring these pages to see all replies..we've been in the camper in SC..almost 7 yrs for hubbys work..gonna sell house..RV fulltime..workamp here...there..
how'd it all go with your experience..?
hoping for a chance to make our life ...better.. O:-)
vera
skeedaddle

Postby Riafromnj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:40 pm

I was just wondering how your first workamp job is going. I am researching the workamp options and I would love to hear about your experience. I am going to an RV show on Sunday and I can't wait!
Riafromnj

Postby Bethers » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:34 pm

If you read the first post - her first job starts in May - so she can't tell you how it's going yet :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Riafromnj » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks Beth! I didn't realize the job didn't start until May. I am anxious to hear how things go.
Going to an RV show on Sunday and I can't wait!!
Riafromnj

Postby linann » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Pamela,

Sounds like a fun adventure. Please keep posting so we can follow along.

I have a 5-quart oblong slow cooker made by West Bend that is awesome. The heat source is a griddle. The slow cooker can also be used as a pot on the stove. Mine is older and has a flat glass cover lid that can be used in the microwave. I liked it so much, I ordered another to keep one in the house and one in the rig. The best price was $42 from Target online. The new one came with a handy carrying case, but had a more traditional dome lid, with a round handle on top.

I also carry an electric skillet that is perfect for a variety of foods. On longer trips, I bring along a portable convection toaster oven and a small portable ice maker. These items are stored in the van. My rig is a travel trailer that is 18'9" in length so it is more practical to keep these items in the van.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Return to Workamping