Desert Haven Animal Refuge

Share your experiences, good and bad. Ask questions about workamping.

Desert Haven Animal Refuge

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:58 am

I've never been here so this is not a first hand recommendation. Sharing it because I thought it was a unique concept for funding animal rescue. Plus they have work camp opportunities for those who might be interested.

http://www.deserthavenanimalrefuge.com/desert_haven_rv_park__workamping_program
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: Desert Haven Animal Refuge

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:40 am

Karen, retiredhappy, workamped there and did not recommend the place. Hopefully she'll come on and chime in, because I was interested but never looked further based on what she told me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Desert Haven Animal Refuge

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:31 am

The woman who runs this place is crazy. She has morning meetings and if you use the word "cage" you have to put a quarter in a jar. When I was there she had several of us in the noon time sun, temp around 95, hauling rocks to make a pathway. She also wants you to walk two or three LARGE dogs at one time from their pens to the run area. She expects people to work like slaves and is rude. I actually left early. When I was there several of the workkampers left early. Unless she's changed her attitude I would be careful going there. When I was there most of her rescues were pitbulls that weren't socialized very well and she had a list of what dogs could NOT be together in the run due to fights.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to Workamping